It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who the [snip] is Lee Child?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Every time I visit a book store - a rare event these days, I regret to observe, as it's such an unrewarding experience - the name 'Lee Child' is leaping out at me from the shelves. That's not the only name; there are several names of contemporary authors who seem to have a monopoly on the book selling trade. All huge, thick tomes evidently aimed at a specific type of customer who likes to read trashy, over long mystery and 'cop' novels.

It's crap now. When I was a young person (back in the 70s/80s) there was a much richer variety of books. In particular, there were a plethora of short story collections by publishers such as Pan and Fontana.

I like to read fiction but, like many people I suspect, have a short attention span. I don't have a hope in hell of working my way through a 400+ page book of any kind, much less a crime thriller. Where are all the short stories?

Where are all the ghost and horror short story collections? Why aren't publishing houses like Pan and Fontana putting these books out any more, which have been popular for many decades?

Why can't we have a bit less Lee #ing Child and fewer bumper-sized crime thrillers?

It seems that publishers have given up on providing variety and are targeting bored housewives who feast on CSI whatever.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Lee Child is the author of the "Jack Reacher" stories. There are 20+ books. They are pretty good reads IMO...

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Doc Savage novels from the re-release in the 60's and seventies. Written my Lester Dent under the name Kenneth Robeson. Best stuff ever for young men. Doc was the original Batman.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I've been reading Lee Child for almost 20 years. He's a good author.
But because you have the attention span of a goldfish, everyone should too?

There's still plenty of short story collections around. Check your library (I know! Crazy idea!)

Or look on Amazon.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Jack reacher series.

Not amazing soon to be classics but they're good reads.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
To be fair his books are pretty good.

The Killing Floor was just phenomenal in my view.

I think though in general there is a big decline in published authors thanks to platforms like Amazon that lets just about anyone become a published author, he recently released a new book so that probably why you are seeing so much of him. Its like any time Dan Brown or JK Rowling release a new book, he is one of the few really big name celebrity authors so yeah, he is going to dominate the book shelfs for a while.

Get a kindle though dude.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I shouldn't have to go to a library.

The burden of my song is that there is less variety on the shelves now.

But thanks for your contribution.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Speaking of Dan Brown, if you havent read his newest the 'Origin' , I would highly recommend it...

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Get a kindle though dude.

Good suggestion.
I should roll with the times.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

What book stores are you going to?
I travel all over the country and the only places where I've seen a lack of variety is at the Airport shops.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

WH Smiths, Waterstones, supermarkets.

Maybe the kind of books I like are in there somewhere but I'm not seeing them.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Smaller, local booktores are great for more variety plus you can always ask for their recommendations. It's always easier to see what's new and maybe read a little before you buy. I always walk in with the attitude "tell me a story."

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I would also recommend what Justso said.
Hit up the smaller local mom & pop shops.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

And you don't want to read actual books. You poor baby. You're a perfect example of the post-literate society. Yet the average public library has way more books than any bookstore. And if you can't or won't read, they have audio books. Oh, and one more thing, they are all free. You can lead a person to education, but you can't make him think. Sounds like you're hopeless.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I love Lee Child. Great writer.

There are so many options for books now, I'm not sure I'm seeing your upset. You can visit the personal websites of many authors and they have links to online shops that sell their products. There are also many websites out there that list books and authors that are searchable and have reviews by people who have read them, plus give links to where they can be purchased in various formats.

The site Good Reads is one, if I recall correctly.

Many libraries also have online browsing options as well, so you don't even necessarily have to go to the brick and mortar building.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: CJCrawley

And you don't want to read actual books. You poor baby. You're a perfect example of the post-literate society. Yet the average public library has way more books than any bookstore. And if you can't or won't read, they have audio books. Oh, and one more thing, they are all free. You can lead a person to education, but you can't make him think. Sounds like you're hopeless.

The point I was making was pretty straightforward. In fact, blindingly obvious. But some people need a little help, so I'll spell it out for you.

The poster was suggesting I go to a library to obtain the books I prefer to read. But I wouldn't need to visit a library for that purpose if the books were available to buy. Verstanden?

I didn't say I don't go to libraries at all, you complete half-wit.

'Post-literate society', you say? If you've had an education it was wasted on you.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Lighten Up, Frances. ;o) There are still all the wide plethora of books as you remember. In fact! There are even MORE!

Perhaps you remember a time as I do, where books were more common, and readers and reading devices were nonexistant. Maybe you even remember a library being one of your favorite places. I know I did. Lee Child sells, even more than Raymond Chandler, Robert B. Parker, Dean Koontz Elmore Leonard or even Stephen King. All giants.

Lee Child aka Jim Grant is a unique author in a few ways. One, he writes his fiction from a U.S. perspective, but is born and raised in the UK. He does an astonishing amount of research in crafting his character Jack Reacher, and he sometimes writes about Reacher in the first and sometimes the third person.

Good reads. Solid escapist reading and purely pleasurable.

Reacher is a master at adapting and overcoming and in doing so, controls his world.

I hear you about short stories. They were my favorite when I was a kid, particularly the Sci-Fi greats. I love a short story with a hook. My favorite is in my sig. Short stories are still there. In fact, sometimes they are still written by the big names that you see on display. Lee Child has written some. Stephen King also, Elmore Leonard ..... Dutchie..... the Man.... I still like having short stories handy for that time. I have Isaac Asimov, Theodore Sturgeon, Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlin, etc. Here are 11 short stories you can read for free.

Good rant. Be well.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Publishers pay for his novels to be front and center. That's why you see him prominently. The bookstores get paid money to showcase certain authors. There is the popularity elements at play as well.

Lee Child is a great writer and I've enjoyed his books.

I recommend getting on Goodreads and flag some books you have read with a rating. The recommendation engine is good and can recommend some other books you will enjoy.

posted on Nov, 6 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Lee Child is the author of the "Jack Reacher" stories. There are 20+ books. They are pretty good reads IMO...

He said nothing.....

Some people will get it...

He said nothing......

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Jesus, I didn't bank on addressing the Lee Child Appreciation Society...anyone can join in people, come on.

Perhaps someone less partial can see the general point I'm making about a handful of names dominating the book shelves with their incredibly long oeuvres. I get that the more successful authors will take up more space. But there doesn't seem to be anything else. I know, I've looked.

Like I've already said, there was a greater variety in the past. I hate monopolies.

Will you all stop being offended already and try to engage your brains.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join