It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything wrong with America in one article

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Family of 11-year-old girl stunned by Taser during burglary attempt awarded $240,000

www.tmj4.com... V-7PV1BLvlx6ylYsQADWMOLx6fRoBjmOFDy5nM

So here is the short version:

11 Year old girl shoplifts
Police officer tells her to stop
she doesn't stop
Officer tasers her while she is running away
Family sues for excessive force
City of Cincinnati and Kroger settle and pay $240,000
girl writes apology letter that shows failure of educational system

If that weren't enough, let's add on to this with more about her family!
"When Donna Gowdy goes grocery shopping for herself and her six youngest children, she arms herself with a specific list of necessities.
Ground beef. Macaroni and cheese. Greens. Potatoes.
Food stamps only go so far and the 40-year-old mom"

www.cincinnati.com...

Can't claim the police had racist motives here, can you?
"You know, sweetheart, this is why there’s no grocery stores in the black community,” Brown told her, a comment recorded on his body camera.
"Both Donesha and Brown are black."

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Family of 11-year-old girl stunned by Taser during burglary attempt awarded $240,000

www.tmj4.com... V-7PV1BLvlx6ylYsQADWMOLx6fRoBjmOFDy5nM

So here is the short version:

11 Year old girl shoplifts
Police officer tells her to stop
she doesn't stop
Officer tasers her while she is running away
Family sues for excessive force
City of Cincinnati and Kroger settle and pay $240,000
girl writes apology letter that shows failure of educational system

If that weren't enough, let's add on to this with more about her family!
"When Donna Gowdy goes grocery shopping for herself and her six youngest children, she arms herself with a specific list of necessities.
Ground beef. Macaroni and cheese. Greens. Potatoes.
Food stamps only go so far and the 40-year-old mom"

www.cincinnati.com...

Can't claim the police had racist motives here, can you?
"You know, sweetheart, this is why there’s no grocery stores in the black community,” Brown told her, a comment recorded on his body camera.
"Both Donesha and Brown are black."

What the hell are you trying to say?

This whole post is a mess and doesn’t get to the point.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Tasering a girl for stealing a candy bar is excessive use of force. You go to jail if you shoot someone running away after burglarizing your house.

I would say it is your interpretation of these events that is wrong with America. And everyone else who has your warped sense of right and wrong.

Officer Brown needs some non-paid time off or another job alltogether.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I am picking up what you are putting down.

Welfare queen ‘raises’ 6 kids. They kids are so well behaved that the steal from the community. The thief didn’t respect personal property and when called out in it ran. Cop verbally tried to stop her, she wouldn’t listen. Cop then had to up the game, so instead of physically touching her, he used his taser. Welfair queen and welfair princess sues and gets more tax payer money. The future Ivy League kid, can barely read and write

Cop then commented, that’s why business don’t show up in her majistily’s community

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Will she still get food stamps?

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: GeechQuestInfo

I'll spell it out:

Horrible that a child shoplifts, (crime)
Horrible that children don't respect & listen to adults (civil unrest)
horrible that a grown cop would use a taser on a child (excessive force)
horrible that a family would sue for something like this (litigious society)
horrible that both the city (taxpayers) and the store would settle (fleecing of taxpayers)
horrible that the school system is so broken that an 11 year old can't write a proper apology (education & social issues)
horrible that a 40 year old mom has 6+ kids she can't financially take care of (fleecing of taxpayers & social issues)
horrible that a child wants a snack so badly they are willing to steal (social issues)
horrible that there aren't grocery stores in predominantly black neighborhoods and they are even admitting the reason why (social issues)

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

I don't even spank my kids. Maybe some disagree with this. But can they defend tasering a child? Good god. WHat have we become. Maybe just cut off her feet? She can't run then.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I'll spell it out:

horrible that both the city (taxpayers) and the store would settle (fleecing of taxpayers)
horrible that the school system is so broken that an 11 year old can't write a proper apology (education & social issues)
horrible that a 40 year old mom has 6+ kids she can't financially take care of (fleecing of taxpayers & social issues)
horrible that a child wants a snack so badly they are willing to steal (social issues)
horrible that there aren't grocery stores in predominantly black neighborhoods and they are even admitting the reason why (social issues)

At least that's somewhat coherent.

I don't understand how this is "Everything wrong with America", but okay.

This entire situation could have been handled by, oh I don't know, the cop NOT using his taser on an 11 year old child. Maybe that's just me. My friends have children that are wild animals, never once have I thought about using a taser on them. They're kids and I'm an adult.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Welfare queen

Isn't that the classic dog whistle for black woman? I thought that went out of style in the 1980's.

You do know way more whites (in red states) are on welfare than black women, don't you?

The "queens" are living in trailer parks in Alabama, Georgia, etc. And they are white. With 6 kids.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: KlondikeCamerry

I'm not going to defend the tasering, but anything else he did would've gotten him in trouble as well.

What if he chased her and tackled her?? People would be up in arms.

What if he caught up to her, grabbed at her shirt, and the shirt came off because she wiggled out?? People would be up in arms.

What if he ran up to her and grabbed her by the arm in such a way that it bruised her?? People would be up in arms.

If the girl has such little respect and made the decision to just run away, then the only thing the cop could have done to not get in trouble would've been to let her go. That's not right and doesn't teach her anything.

So what would you do in this scenario?? Just let her go?? Keep following her until she gets to her mom and tell on her?? That may not be a bad idea, but what if the mother claims the cop is racist and accusing her because she's black??

I don't envy the guy, having to make tough calls in those situations, especially when they'll all pretty much get him in trouble. If the call was to just let them go, then I'd have to wonder why he's even an officer in the first place.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Gotta say... I agree with all of this being terrible.

Hard working couples often give up their dream of raising children because they can't afford it.
Head down into the nearest trailer park and you've got women who have never worked having as many children as they can because it means they get more taxpayer money without having to work for it.

Society has an infected limb, and is unwilling to amputate... but also doesn't seem interested in healing it.
Mark my words, the infection is spreading.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

Good points and good questions. Star.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I grew up in a different time. Here is my perspective and why I think this is everything wrong with America.

To be honest there have alway been kids that have shoplifted, however the situation would been handled much differently just 20-30 years ago.

A 11 year old shoplifts. A cop would catch them, scare them about jail time, and talk to them. The parents would come in the store and talk to the cops, and then apologize to the store and pay for the stolen items. The child would go home and get lectured and probably get their butt beaten. The child would probably have to do chores or get a job to pay the parents back. Back then if a mom had 6+ kids and was on food stamps/welfare it would be looked down upon. Now people are gaming the system and are proud of it. I know if my area, some people move across state lines to get better food stamps!

The main difference is that everyone communicated back then. (I am applying it to this story, but it pretty much sums up almost all communication now be it political, social etc)

All adults wanted to help raise kids to be successful citizens. Bad behavior was NEVER rewarded. The child in the story just learned that a little discomfort due to her bad behavior ended up in her mom winning the jackpot. It is just sick and i'm reading about crap like this every day.

edit on 31-10-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile
a reply to: KlondikeCamerry

I'm not going to defend the tasering, but anything else he did would've gotten him in trouble as well.

What if he chased her and tackled her?? People would be up in arms.

What if he caught up to her, grabbed at her shirt, and the shirt came off because she wiggled out?? People would be up in arms.

What if he ran up to her and grabbed her by the arm in such a way that it bruised her?? People would be up in arms.

If the girl has such little respect and made the decision to just run away, then the only thing the cop could have done to not get in trouble would've been to let her go. That's not right and doesn't teach her anything.

So what would you do in this scenario?? Just let her go?? Keep following her until she gets to her mom and tell on her?? That may not be a bad idea, but what if the mother claims the cop is racist and accusing her because she's black??

I don't envy the guy, having to make tough calls in those situations, especially when they'll all pretty much get him in trouble. If the call was to just let them go, then I'd have to wonder why he's even an officer in the first place.

What if, what if, what if.

How many kids have stolen something from a store in the past 50 years? How many have been tased?

How many cities or municipalities have been sued over how the police dealt with these thefts? I'd say we have tons of history on how to deal with a child stealing from a store and the right way to proceed.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I'll spell it out:

What's really wrong in America is that everyone easily points out the faults, never solutions or follow through

Your concern for this family and incident ends at this thread.
So does the concern of city officials end, at the time the last needed paperwork is filed in the right cabinet.

What that child has learned is that there are technicalities to be exploited in the system where crime can pay.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I grew up in a different time. Here is my perspective and why I think this is everything wrong with America.

To be honest there have alway been kids that have shoplifted, however the situation would been handled much differently just 20-30 years ago.

A 11 year old shoplifts. A cop would catch them, scare them about jail time, and talk to them. The parents would come in the store and talk to the cops, and then apologize to the store and pay for the stolen items. The child would go home and get lectured and probably get their butt beaten. The child would probably have to do chores or get a job to pay the parents back. Back then if a mom had 6+ kids and was on food stamps/welfare it would be looked down upon. Now people are gaming the system and are proud of it. I know if my area, some people move across state lines to get better food stamps!

The main difference is that everyone communicated back then. (I am applying it to this story, but it pretty much sums up almost all communication now be it political, social etc)

All adults wanted to help raise kids to be successful citizens. Bad behavior was NEVER rewarded. The child in the story just learned that a little discomfort due to her bad behavior ended up in her mom winning the jackpot. It is just sick and i'm reading about crap like this every day.

Honestly I understand where you are coming from. I truly do.

I would just be willing to wager that 99% of the time this happens, it plays out exactly how you stated. We are also jumping to conclusions that the child wasn't punished by her mother, so that one portion that implies she wasn't is disingenuous at best.

I just feel like the officer is more in the wrong than this 11 year old girl, maybe because I hold police to higher standards than I do children. How many kids in the Cincinnati area have shoplifted in the past 10 years? How many times has the responding officer tased a child? Seems like the vast majority of police know how to handle this situation, why didn't this one police officer?

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: KlondikeCamerry
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

I don't even spank my kids. Maybe some disagree with this. But can they defend tasering a child? Good god. WHat have we become. Maybe just cut off her feet? She can't run then.

When I was a kid we tasered each other.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Your concern for this family and incident ends at this thread. never solutions or follow through

You're wrong there. Although you are correct in that I have no connection to this family, I do have concern for all children, our future and our society. I regularly volunteer in schools, I mentor, I donate, I vote. All those things are solutions. Maybe my actions and actions of others might stop one kid from doing something stupid. Maybe talking about excessive force will stop some of the excessive force?

We can all just close our eyes and pretend like things aren't getting worse, but they are.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Tough kids. I did shock a friend with a peizio electric cell once.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Where do you volunteer?
Who/where do you mentor?

Just curious

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join