It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little something I've noticed...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
My mom came into town late last week to visit me and my brother from across the country (Georgia to Montana) for a week. The entire time we have been saying not to bring politics up when she got here because she is not one to take different opinions well, she will get loud and will blow up almost the instant she hears anything she doesn't agree with politically. She surrounds herself with like-minded people and blocks/ignores anyone she disagrees with. She has effectively made herself an echo chamber with her choice of friends and acquaintances, she only associates with other MAGA people.

Anyways, she gets here and I go to pick her up from the airport and one of the first things she says is "hey, do you have change for a $20?", I thought it was a strange thing to ask and asked her why she was asking. Well apparently she went out of her way to buy a stamp from somewhere that has "Donald Trump lives here" and proceeded to stamp the back of over $200 worth of $20's with this stamp in order to (from my best guess) to rub it in everyone's faces that Trump is the president.

I brushed it off and said that I didn't and changed the subject. Well throughout the past few days it seems like she has been itching to talk about politics (because she surrounds herself with people who constantly talk and agree with her politically) so me and my brother finally gave in after ignoring it for 3+ days. Long story short, things got heated (she is the one who started raising her voice and standing up, pointing fingers etc.), me and my brother tried to calm her down and be civil but she didn't seem to want any of it and proceeded to start cussing and throwing insults around. It was probably the worst fight I've seen her in (once I saw she was getting worked up I removed myself from the conversation). She ended up staying in a hotel for the night because she couldn't control herself.

What's interesting and the entire point is that she was saying some of the same exact things that are said on these boards, the same conspiracy theories surrounding Democrats and the usual suspects there. Though she has never even heard of this website she is using the same exact talking points as many of the more prominent members on here. I find that extremely interesting seeing as many on here allude to Democrats all thinking alike and showing signs of groupthink, no independent thought, plantation, etc.

Not sure exactly where I'm going with this but I thought I'd share an anecdotal account of my experience with how all this propaganda in the media and politics is affecting not just strangers pn ATS but also families. The crazies aren't just on one side, they're on both and both sides are complicit in the dissolution of the social structure in this country.
edit on 10/30/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

This OP puts so much into perspective.

I for one appreciate it.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I live in a family that has mostly voted Democrat their whole lives. I was an Indie most of mine, so they thought I was naive.

When I told them a year after this last Presidential election that I was happy with most of what Trump was doing so would probably vote for him the next time (didn't last time, I sat it out) they were furious. I was shunned.

A year later, they are all planning to vote Republican straight ticket because they are scared of where the Democratic party is going.

They still hate Trump though... LOL

Families can be crazy.

edit on 30-10-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I hope you don’t take this the wrong way. But I don’t believe you. identity politics has caused your side to be irrational . Very few understand anything about policy. I’ve repeated this line over and over but it applies .

The Liberals position against Donald Trump is “Trump says mean things “.

I could be wrong so would you like to pick a policy position then you and I will have a debate ?

Before two or three people pile on. This debate will be between the OP and me .

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Sounds like you may need to report your mother to the FBI. Next thing you know she could be building bombs that don't work and covering her car in Trump stickers. Better keep an eye out.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

The Great Awakening!

Blessings to you and your family!

S&F

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I read as far as "my mom" and just stopped right there.

I had always assumed you were an adult, but I guess you just lurk in your parents basement and augment your failures with the past generations actions.
edit on 30-10-2018 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

That's horrible. I'm sorry things have gotten this way to the point it's affecting your relationships with your family. I'm personally right leaning but most of my friends are left leaning. We take some jabs at each other here and there but know when to leave it alone. It's kind of odd hearing that story though, as it seems most people on the right are usually pretty quiet for fear of public retribution (at least in my area). Hopefully this doesn't affect your tolerance of other ideas, as I know you to be one to at least try to bridge the gap when possible, despite your personal political opinions.

I hope you and your family are doing well.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

No offense, but if there is going to be a man pile I'm going to another thread.

edit on 30-10-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

No offense, but if there is going to be a man pile I'm going to another thread.

Lol

I promise there will be no Vaseline .

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

You don't have to believe me. There's no way I can prove it other than giving my word. I have no reason to lie about it though. I think that's a big problem these days regardless of what side someone lies on, they only accept information they want to accept or believe and nothing else. If they don't like the information they toss it out as fake. Unfortunate but that's how we have been conditioned over the past few years.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Well, thank goodness for that!

~settles in with some popcorn~

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I think that's a big problem these days regardless of what side someone lies on, they only accept information they want to accept or believe and nothing else.

That's not a new or even a recent phenomena. It's why propaganda and rhetoric has been so effective through the centuries.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Ha ! That's funny!
Happy Halloween.

According to one of the members here,
I am Hannibal Lector this year :
www.youtube.com...
Trick or Treat?
I Like Zagnut Bars

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

It doesn't cost anything to be nice.
Here, have a goody
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

The problem I have is you painted your mother as a raving lunatic. ( not cool )

If she was so uninformed shirley you have information to back your position. The majority of Trump supporters I know can’t get five words into actual policy without being yelled at and told how mean Trump is .

That’s why gave you the opportunity to defend yourself .

I wish the slogan for the midterms was “ Think with your brain and not with your heart “.

I’ll drop it now because my mouth might have overstepped it’s intention .

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
99 problems but liking Trump ain't one maybe?

One of those 99 is a son who wouldn't give her change for a 20 out of spite.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

My mom isn't going to build bombs and neither are 99.99% of people in general regardless of their political beliefs. My suggestion is to stop ingesting the media's rhetoric and hyperbole.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

She kinda is a raving lunatic when it comes to politics. I still love her in spite of that though.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Mom, you’ve only got one and you should cherish every moment you have . Because you will feel a hole when she’s gone .

Discussing politics with mom is a lot like discussing politics in a bar.

Don’t do it !
edit on 30-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join