It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A room full of eerie, masked idols has been discovered in Peru

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Deep in the enormous citadel of an ancient Peruvian culture, archaeologists have uncovered a corridor containing 19 mysterious black wooden statues.

Some are wearing masks of clay, tucked into special alcoves that line the walls. The eerie line-up was discovered in the ruins of the great Chimú culture capital city of Chan Chan, which is still rendering up its secrets.

They’re around 800 years old, and may have served as “guardian”-type figures, according to the archaeologists who uncovered them.

They are assumed to be guardians. Perhaps maybe of the afterlife? These statues each represent a different anthropomorphic character are 70 cm/275 inches. They have masks carry a scepter and an object that may be a shield.

More about Chan Chan-

Chanchan, The World´s Largest Adobe City | History

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Really interesting. Thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Aliens...should explain it

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Awesome thread SF.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Great post! S&F!
Post like these are what make ATS so great!

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Very cool. Although small, and done in a different style, the first thing they reminded me of instantly were the Moai statues. They way they're just lined up, the prominent heads. I'm sure it's no relation, but interesting no less.
edit on 31-10-2018 by ancientAntares because: spellcheck

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Why is that creepy friggin dolls have always been creepy? Great find, thanks for posting! S&F

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

They're like a cross between No-Face (Spirited Away) and Q (Star Trek).

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Beat me to it!

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Interesting how they're wearing those same cylindrical hats found on the Easter Island statues.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Interesting comparison, maybe there's a relation representing a similar concept.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Would have to say in part that it has to do with the history of dolls being sometimes were meant to be used in religious ceremonies, never used as child's toys. With that came the said embodiment of souls within the vacant vessels.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Maybe they hold the tormented souls of the worst criminals of their time, or maybe they betrayed their Government and their punishment was their soul encased in those things, wearing masks, so that no one would ever know who they were. If I were living in those days, that's what I would have done to people that crossed me.

edit on 31-10-2018 by IlluminatiTechnician because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I'm not sayin they look like short aliens....but aliens.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   

AAARRGGHH!! if you'll excuse me I need to sprinkle salt on the threshold of my front door and burn some sage, I don't want them entering my home.

Jokes aside, it's interesting how the ancients perceived guardians and deities, take gargoyles for instance, they were used as guardians and their frightful appearance may have been designed to scare evil spirits.

This is a case of creepy but cool.
edit on 1-11-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I seized on this factoid:

Deep in the enormous citadel of an ancient Peruvian culture, archaeologists have uncovered a corridor containing 19 mysterious black wooden statues.

being from around 1200 AD... the number 19 corresponded to the Mayan calendar segment of the number of years in a time cycle which symbolized a generational replacement (around 19 years) Perhaps each masked statue symbolized a single year in a Tun & was celebrated in the annual changing of the new year. just as we moderns project a new-born cherub looking baby as the new year symbol & put the death-mask on the dark & tall robed icon, with a scythe, as 'out-with-the-old-year' Avatar.

i don't guess i explained that well enough, but i tried

(like how did Peru glean into Maya time cycles?)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
It sort of looks like the wall of faces in GOT.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Well, that's not creepy in the least.

Cool discovery, and thanks for posting it. I just love this stuff.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Eerie? I think they're cool, I'd have a couple at either side of my fireplace...

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
Jokes aside, it's interesting how the ancients perceived guardians and deities, take gargoyles for instance, they were used as guardians and their frightful appearance may have been designed to scare evil spirits.

Oh, not just the ancients. There is an entire lucrative industry in China (and elsewhere) dedicated to making sure that buildings, including public buildings, have the proper Fung Shui so that evil spirits can't inhabit your home or workplace.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join