It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump claims he can defy Constitution and end birthright citizenship

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump offered a dramatic, if legally dubious, promise in a new interview to unilaterally end birthright citizenship, ratcheting up his hardline immigration rhetoric with a week to go before critical midterm elections.

Trump's vow to end the right to citizenship for the children of non-citizens and unauthorized immigrants born on US soil came in an interview with Axios released Tuesday. Such a step would be regarded as an affront to the US Constitution, which was amended 150 years ago to include the words: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States."

Trump did not say when he would sign the order, and some of his past promises to use executive action have gone unfulfilled. But whether the President follows through on his threat or not, the issue joins a string of actions intended to thrust the matter of immigration into the front of voters' minds as they head to polls next week.

Source

So, now Trumps attempting to garner up support from his base in the midterm elections by claiming his going to violate the US constitution with an executive order.

Like seriously, are you guys that far gone that you would let a threat like this from Trump just pass, without taking issue?

His literally bragging about having the power to change the constitution at will. Obviously, as usual with Trump, its probably just a bunch of hot air and empty rhetoric... But still, he's made a claim that he has the power to single handedly rewrite the constitution.

How can even the most hardcore supporters of Trump just let this slide?

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

thehill.com...

Share to Twitter Nikki Haley makes ‘Indian’ joke about Elizabeth Warren at Al Smith dinner Trump more involved in blocking FBI HQ sale than initially thought: Dems Meadows calls on Rosenstein to resign 'immediately' Graham to introduce legislation to end birthright citizenship Cook moves Menendez race in New Jersey to tossup Poll: Cruz up 6 points on O'Rourke in Texas Senate race Graham to introduce legislation to end birthright citizenship Cook moves Menendez race in New Jersey to tossup Poll: Cruz up 6 points on O'Rourke in Texas Senate race Graham to introduce legislation to end birthright citizenship TheHill.com Autoplay: On | Off Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Tuesday said that he will introduce legislation to end birthright citizenship after President Trump suggested he wanted to do so through an executive order. "Finally, a president willing to take on this absurd policy of birthright citizenship. I’ve always supported comprehensive immigration reform — and at the same time — the elimination of birthright citizenship," Graham said in a string of tweets. He added that he plans "to introduce legislation along the same lines as the proposed executive order" from Trump. Congress is out of session until Nov. 13. If Graham is going to propose legislation to amend the Constitution, his bill would need to win over not only two-thirds majorities in Congress, but also be ratified by three-quarters of the states.
not very likely on either front and i think theres a bigger thread on this

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Wait now you care about the constitution?

Where are you in the gun threads?

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I never knew the constitution explicitly laid this all out, I always thought it was interpreted as such and has actually been under contention for decades.

Maybe we should have the supreme court sort it out.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Wait now you care about the constitution?

Where are you in the gun threads?

That's too funny!

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

There's no law set in stone that says he doesn't have the authority.

😎

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

How can even the most hardcore supporters of Trump just let this slide?

Because people from coming here to have baby's so they will become citizens shouldn't be allowed.

edit on 30-10-2018 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
No, he can't do that and shouldn't, however, he can build a wall and use troops to keep out the foreign invaders before they ever step foot on American soil.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
No, he can't do that and shouldn't, however, he can build a wall and use troops to keep out the foreign invaders before they ever step foot on American soil.

Well they are against that idea also, so...

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I love how this story outs all the authoritarian Trump followers that couldn’t care less about the constitution.

Must be that 4D chess everyone is always talking about.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Not bashing Trump here but he seems to be abusing the executive order thing just as much if not more than Obama.

Concerning? yes. It's Obama's 277 to Trumps 42. Not close yet but Trump has another half of his first term and Obama had 2 terms to do that in. Bush did 291. So Obama was less than that and Trump appears to maybe on track for less, but still seems too high for me.
edit on 30-10-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

If that's the case, he's in for a rude surprise.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Actually yes there is.

link   

Lol nice try.
Even your beloved CNN only says “It would be REGARDED as an affront to the Constitution”
Article II of the Constitution gives Trump executive power to write executive orders.

link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Well according to what I just heard on CNN, their saying that the constitutional text which states...

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

Has already been challenged in the supreme court and upheld.

But I know how you guys feel about CNN as a source. So obviously I'm sure you'll all easily able to prove that claim incorrect... yeah?

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I believe it's called the 14th amendment??

Could be wrong.

link   

originally posted by: amazing
Not bashing Trump here but he seems to be abusing the executive order thing just as much if not more than Obama.

Concerning? yes. It's Obama's 277 to Trumps 42. Not close yet but Trump has another half of his first term and Obama had 2 terms to do that in.

Liberal math lol.

real math Obama will still have 100 more

link   
One thing is certain, Trump's supporters will defend this decision with everything they've got and his opponents will fight it with everything they've got. I know where pretty much every member on these boards will stand on this issue. That's how predictable it has all gotten and how narrow people's minds have been made over the past few years.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I have always agreed with this premise. Ever since I read about anchor babies.

Trump and Turnbull seem to have the same mentality on illegals.

www.smh.com.au... tml

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: xuenchen

Actually yes there is.

Where?
Link?

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join