It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hi ATS, It’s the left here.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Strate8
I am assuming that manufacturing scientific and medical equipment you face a lot of regulatory and quality compliance requirements. Which I generally group that type of manufacturing in the higher end. Not junk that gets sold in Walmart.

Which is why it sounds odd to me that, taking you at your word, average workers don't seem to be picking up how to operate a fairly simple piece of equipment.

Correct, I don't want to go into too much detail on which equipment because then I'm easy to identify. But there's three things at work here:
1. There's running the machines to build our products.
2. There's knowing our products in order to maintain and repair them.
3. There's using our products properly.

I'm only directly involved with 1 and 2 on that list, more with 2 than 1.

When I say people are slow, I mean they are really slow. In order to make any training materials dealing with a product (anything from fully interactive VR/AR simulations to powerpoint documents), I need to be certified on that product so that I get the information right. The product I'm working on now, our technicans typically need 6+ months of study on in order to pass a certification test. I knocked this one out in under 2 days.

And that's for the smarter people. On some of our less complex products (things that are literally just a box and a couple circuit boards), I've learned them in under an hour and we have people who still need 3+ months for them.

On the factory floor for some of our low end equipment, we have people where their job is simply to insert a piece of metal in a press, then stack the now bent metal in a pile. The guy who does this took 3 weeks to learn how to do his very simple and repetitive job efficiently enough that he wasn't creating a backlog of parts.

Then there's #3 which I'm not directly involved with, I only hear stories from our support teams handling customer issues. Lets just say that I've heard enough that I have a healthy and robust distrust of any sort of lab results due to improperly applied forensic science.

Which one of those sound closest?

None of the above.

Depending on the plant, we have some great workforces. Despite it still being factory work, I do not look down on the people who build some of our higher end equipment. We have plants where the entire factory workforce has masters and phd degrees in hard sciences, electrical engineering, etc... and it shows, they are very smart and capable people.

However, in other locations, they're just low quality people who work jobs that don't demand anything of them so they never have to get better, and that is something I have a big problem with. There's nothing wrong with starting from scratch, but I see a lot wrong with people who don't do anything to better themselves from there. But, most people who do better themselves, don't stay in the traditional low end blue collar work for long.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I respect that you don't want to mention particular industry.

I'll share a bit of my experience though. I left being a co-owner of a very small business to work for a large OEM in oil &gas. Was lucrative and I thought it would be great to learn how large corporations run.

What I found was honestly disturbing. I saw a lot of what you describe. What was interesting was I met some of the sharpest people I have ever met in my 5 years there but, the company and its workers had a lousy reputation for being able to deliver anything on time.

I honestly do think it is a mgt problem. The OEM was known for acquiring high performing, independent manufacturing plants as part of their growth business model but within 5 years most of those plants were underperforming. Why? The small companies did have the unique identity and ways to build employee motivation and loyalty. This was crushed by the mergers and they were pulled into a large corporation with less chance for growth. Why less chance in a larger company? Because the parent company has its own management/people click.

Some worthless son of someone high up gets to become that plant manager and he goes and does by his MBA book all the crap they're taught to do to make it all even better! Which, for an already high performing shop only leaves cutting costs.

Killed everything that was good about the plant eventually. Too many checks and balances, too many procedures, layers of training courses, HR, Safety etc... killed common sense and initiative. People went way down hill, would literally email someone 100 feet away instead of talking to them. Everything had to be email or it didn't count that you told them to do something.

It was very surprising to me that experience. I left very confident that as a small business I could compete against companies like them all day long.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   
We should probably act like individuals if we want to be treated by individuals.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Propagandalf

Have some fun trying to get through to some heads when they're filled with identity politics bollocks.

Surprisingly, the rightwingers on board (like the OP of this pathetic thread) never realize their appeal to groupthink when they're posting it. Who knew?

However. Let's blame some leftists!

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

identity politics bollocks.

I like this phrase.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Am working right now so can’t reply fully but just wanted to say thanks for that post gave me a good chuckle

You're welcome (and thanks for getting its intent!)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join