It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Music System Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Greetings ATS.

I'm not sure where I should be posting this as it's a tech related question. I guess this forum will have to do? Mods please feel free to move this.

Okay, where to start? As some of you know I do some DJ work. I have a lot of mixes that I've done over the years and I load all that custom content into iTunes so I can take it with me. I would like to be able to listen to it at home (along with anything else I buy through iTunes) on an audiophile quality sound system. I don't need anything overly complex. Can anyone make any recommendations?

One other thing of note. I currently have a Bluesound Powernode which, when I bought it, was supposed to be everything I needed and more. What it turned out to be is a gigantic headache that is more trouble than its worth. I'm ready to kick it to the curb (which is why I'm asking for recommendations).

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: RomaSempre

Brands? No. But get surround sound, multiple spkrs lt-rt, front-back and a subwoofer.

Adding a mp3 player or plug in will play all you have

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
So it sounds like you will listening primarily from a laptop? If so, I'd buy a decent set of powered monitors that you can just hook directly to the computer. Here are a pair of Klipsch (I'm a fan) powered monitors: Klipsch R-51PM

They also have a wireless powered version: Klipsch The Sixes

If you will be listening at home most of the time, I would also recommend a good DAC for better sound. I use the Cambridge Audio DACMagic: DacMagic 100

I have converted all of my music to lossless ALAC in iTunes. I play them back from my Mac to the DAC to my vintage receiver. Works and sounds great.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Get a Klipsch surround sound system. It sounds better than Bose for less money. Bose has exceptional build quality (better than Klipsch) and will last you for many years and does sound good but it costs a lot more than Klipsch. Also both Klipsch and Bose will have one available that you will be able to connect your laptop or almost another device to.
edit on 10/30/2018 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

Get a Klipsch surround sound system. It sounds better than Bose for less money. Bose has exceptional build quality (better than Klipsch) and will last you for many years and does sound good but it costs a lot more than Klipsch. Also both Klipsch and Bose will have one available that you will be able to connect your laptop or almost another device to.

Also, Klipsch are highly efficient speakers meaning it takes less power to drive them loud. Perfect for an entry or mid-level receiver.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Amen to Klipsch. I had a pair of corner horns and Lascalas. In the same house.

Get Adcom amps and a preamp as well. Oh and a Yamaha surround sound procesor.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I had a pair of Bose for the computer and they were great.

Actually I'm not looking to play from the laptop (although that could be an option if all else fails). I was more or less looking for a standalone system where I could plug a usb drive into or maybe access a network drive.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
You got a fat wallet?
www.theaterseatstore.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Holy Hell, not that fat!

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
There are A LOT of options for this, depending on what you are looking to do.

If you are looking to use the system to mix, use it for just easy listening, use it for portability, use it for theater, etc.

Portable Bluetooth packages are a dime a dozen, and if you're willing to invest a hundred or a couple, will hit the marks of portability and easy listening.

Many wont do stereo imaging particularly well though, if that's a concern.

Bose probably shouldnt be much of a consideration in any semi-serious system.. Klipsch is a bit better (not the biggest fans of horns personally, LOVE planar/ortho), but your best choices will be a bit more obscure to most.

Budget, more than many arenas, will dictate a lot too.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

What I'm looking to do is simple...just listen. I've got my system for mixing all set. Now all I want to do is copy my iTunes library to either a NAS or a USB drive. Plug it into a receiver and enjoy.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

There are a few ways to use a source like that. Are you completely set on USB?

Personally, I go for Bluetooth or a 3.5mm -> 2 RCA/phono cable and cut out the middle man. There are also wireless senders that can send audio (and video, fwiw) over wifi, RF, etc.

My computer is setup wirelessly to my home theater, for both audio and video. There might be some issues with iTunes specifically.. I wouldn't know on that front.

Of course, that isn't portable, so I use battery powered guitar amps with Bluetooth for that niche. That fits my needs, but a company like JBL is putting out some impressive little dedicated speakers.

You can also look at the DIY route, depending on your feelings there. There are TONS of kits for both amps and speakers that will get you phenomenal quality for the money. Of course, you could design and build it all from the ground up too! That's my personal preference, but its a pretty sizable time investment.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Any audio discussion, be it consumer or audiophile, typically starts with what is your budget? Followed by what is your source material which you have already stated.

Depending on that you go from there with tons of cheap options for everything from integrated amps, different then a full blown AV receiver, to separate amp+preamp+dac setups.

Without getting too much into brands Schiit puts out good, quality, purpose built, fiscally responsible gear that can improve listening to music on a computer.

www.schiit.com...

Onkyo put out a budget integrated amp the a-9010 which got a lot praise. I run that as my primary system for my PC listening experience primarily streaming off of Google Play Music and its just a great sounding setup regardless of if you get the US or UK version.

www.whathifi.com...

I'm sure someone will come along claiming the above are garbage and unless you go with some obscure tube setup then you are missing out. The issue I have with this side of the audiophile hobby is short of using dedicated listening rooms acoustics will always be different and music is truly subjective within reason.

Then again for all my frustration I have with music snobs I'm about to drop a few grand on a vintage McIntosh tube setup from the 60's. Lol

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
You will not be able listen to your music from iTunes with a thumb drive or NAS. iTunes must be running on a computer to do that. You can copy the MP3/M4A/etc files from iTunes to a drive and most of the newer receivers will read them.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 03:22 AM
link   
You need to sack I-tunes to become truly independent. Also your not gonna get audiophile quality with mp3's. You need FLAC for that.

top topics

join