It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the point in voting if the electoral college decides the president?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
But the voting isn't by land square size, it's population. Just showing a large red or blue area doesn't mean anything by sq area.

A better map to show results would be to show the size of states by the population.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir
Lmao, do sharks even eat Democrats???

a reply to: Krakatoa
Good way to describe it, but that map below showing the counties Trump won really speaks for itself.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel
Trump won more counties though yeh?
The map looked pretty red to me, all over.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

It's actually by state.

The point being if it is about population then the map would be about half red and half blue. If EC then by state coloring. But the size of a state doesn't always reflect then amount of popular or EC votes.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I'm sure you've already heard this but I didn't feel like sifting through every post first to see.

If you take California's popular vote out of the election, Trump wins the popular vote. Instead, each state votes on its own and the respected electoral votes go to the candidate that got the most popular votes for each state. California voted heavily for the democrat as they've done since Bill Clinton, and for that, they gave Hillary 55 electoral votes. Trust me when I tell you that nobody in this country, outside of radical democrats, want a kooky state like California picking our president every 4 years.

Those are the same people that nurture illegal immigrants while pushing police aside. The same people that want to initiate a white flight to bring in more illegals and people of color. A state that refused to enact Kate's Law after an illegal, deported five times, came back to that state for sanctuary, and killed an innocent American having lunch with her father. Up until the 80's, every American's dream was to visit California someday. Now most Americans avoid it at all costs because it's gotten so ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I noticed that with Wyoming having 3 EC votes yet only half a million people. 180,000 people per EC vote compared to other states with half a million+ people per EC vote.
I'm still a bit unsure about the true fairness of it to be honest when looking at it in that way...I'm learning though.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

They're so liberal in CA, they just crap on the sidewalks. Bless their hearts the poor dears

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
Trust me when I tell you that nobody in this country, outside of radical democrats, want a kooky state like California picking our president every 4 years.
Haha, that made me laugh

Thanks for the reply, just it still seems that some states get more EC votes per capita than others...I guess no system will ever be perfect, mine especially, an unelected head of state and second chamber lol.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I believe it's similar to other systems generally, if you win the most counties, zones, areas, seats then you win. Not the total number of votes country wide but broken down into areas, this ensures a more even vote.

The US system they are obliged to elect the citizens choice, but only 1 election has been impacted by the electoral college people.
Even if the US did away with the college system but still had the same areas the results would still be the same. Except for one in 1796! It's a bit of a weird unusual system with the college people but effectively they have no effect except for once.

Ultimately, faithless electors have only impacted the outcome of an election once, during the 1796 election where Pinckney would have become the President and Adams the Vice-President.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: CADpro

They're so liberal in CA, they just crap on the sidewalks. Bless their hearts the poor dears

Eff those hearts.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Just to play Devils advocate, what about Purple Heart holders with PTSD living on those liberal streets?

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: LSU2018
Trust me when I tell you that nobody in this country, outside of radical democrats, want a kooky state like California picking our president every 4 years.
Haha, that made me laugh

Thanks for the reply, just it still seems that some states get more EC votes per capita than others...I guess no system will ever be perfect, mine especially, an unelected head of state and second chamber lol.

When I was a kid in the 80's, most movies were based on the west coast, California looked beautiful, it was the place everyone wanted to go at some point in their lives. They also voted Republican back then. Then it started filling up with trash and other leftover debris that nobody wanted and it started to become a state nobody wanted to visit. Now it's in shambles and you couldn't melt and pour most people there.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Just to play Devils advocate, what about Purple Heart holders with PTSD living on those liberal streets?

Those aren't ones crapping on the sidewalks

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

I feel like I answer this question every four years to many people so it's nice to see it in the two year mid-break. The reason the electoral collage makes sense in America:

When we were founded, the idea was not as "One Nation State" but of "Fifty separate Nation States United under one Banner" The idea was always to have 50 separate states acting somewhat independently while having one voice for the outside world. The original idea would be a federal system to govern trade, war and treaties with outside countries, but within our own borders we would act as 50 separate states.

Now with that said, The reason the electoral collage makes sense is because it gives every state a voice in the outcome of who the president will be.

IF it was a popular vote only, all the campaigning would happen in California, New York, Florida and Texas, and further then that, in their populous cities only. America would become tyranny by the populated cities, no one would care about Wisconsin, Alabama, Utah or other states without such a large population. Which would mean all the money going towards these cities as a candidate can say "My policy is to give all our money to California, New York Florida and Texas, and Alabama should be taxed at 100%!!!" that of course is an exaggeration but you get the point.

Our electoral collage system works beautifully, and most states DO bound their electors, and in any respect America is build and several systems of checks and balances, and the electoral system is just one of those checks and balances. It ensures all of America has a vote, it ensures every state has a voice, and it's THE reason why I always vote because I know I have a voice.

I hope this answered your question but to go on further "When Hillary won the popular vote" that was because of the millions in California... I don't want California deciding who is President.

Well put. It does seem to invite some shady tactics or legal wrangling if it came down to that.

the question...what if a block of electors decided not to cast their vote for who they were supposed to?

As for your last part. You don't want California deciding who becomes president. Remember that California already has a say in who becomes president due to their 55 electoral votes.

Also remember that if the country is so liberal, how come we've had so many conservative presidents win the Popular vote, like Reagan and both bushes. In almost every election the electoral vote mirrors the popular vote.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Electoral votes are allocated among the states based on the Census. Every state is allocated a number of votes equal to the number of senators and representatives in its U.S. Congressional delegation—two votes for its senators in the U.S. Senate plus a number of votes equal to the number of its members in the U. S. House of Representatives.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

A state gets votes for senators and reps. A state has two senators. Montana gets two plus the one for it's rep. A state gets at least one rep.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Yes, I know this. tks though.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Not a day goes by that I don't think God that we are not a democracy because mob rule is absolutely the wrong thing for this country.

you might want to read up on the Electoral College because there is a really good reason for it. It is to literally prevent the people who are whining too much from gaining power.

It's one of the most brilliant things ever invented when it comes to government. People that don't understand it, well that's kind of the idea. They're not supposed to participate if they're that stupid anyway.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

What is the point in voting if the electoral college decides the president?

I'm sure someone has already explained it? If not, here ya go.

The popular vote with each state decides that particular states electoral college votes, and most importantly, where they go.

It was put in place to prevent, or help prevent, the more populous states from totally overwhelming the other smaller states via a popular vote.

It's because of that, that you get results such as the last election, where the popular vote winner nation wide, didn't in fact win, because her majority didn't happen in enough states. Ignore the fly over states at your own peril is the message here.

So, yes, voting is very important.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

It's criminal.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join