It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the point in voting if the electoral college decides the president?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor
The Primaries have nothing to do with the Electoral College or our government. Those are run by the parties themselves and have nothing to do with the government. It's a completely different topic.

And states still fight over influence with the parties by scheduling their voting on certain days.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

because i don't think it is right for a few hugely populated liberal left leaning cities get to decide what the rest of the country they have no clue about wants or needs.

it is EXACTLY WHY it is set up this way.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Jusvistn

Tyranny of the minority.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Oh yes, from a majority that thinks chocolate milk comes from brown cows

and hamburger comes from the store. Just the kind of people needed to decide who should run this country

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jusvistn

Oh yes, from a majority that thinks chocolate milk comes from brown cows

and hamburger comes from the store. Just the kind of people needed to decide who should run this country

Because a handful of rural farmers that want to make themselves the elite, by talking about how the city folks are out of touch elitists should be running things?

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
You still slugging it out here!
I've got my popcorn, I learned about the system and understand it now but I don't have a dog in the fight being a Brit.
It is interesting reading your different opinions on it from the US though, quite fascinating.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

wtf does that even mean? Rural elitist? have ever been in a rural area? seriously?..

wafmya

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jusvistn

wtf does that even mean? Rural elitist? have ever been in a rural area? seriously?..

wafmya

Yes. It's full of a bunch of uneducated hicks who think they're better than the people who spend lifetimes studying a single subject in order to gain the slightest amount of competence with it.

Rural people contribute nothing to further humanity. Go look at where the inventions we use every day come from.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
You still slugging it out here!
I've got my popcorn, I learned about the system and understand it now but I don't have a dog in the fight being a Brit.
It is interesting reading your different opinions on it from the US though, quite fascinating.

Our midterm elections just finished. The popular vote for the House and Senate were about 53-47 in favor of Democrats. Despite that, Republicans gained 3 seats in the Senate, and the Democrats gained 30 seats in the House, where as if the situation was reversed, that same difference in votes would have lead to a 70+ seat Republican majority in the House.

As currently set up, our system is broken. Republicans have a minority of votes in the Senate but hold a majority in it. The President also lost the popular vote. The House apportionment does not reflect how people are actually voting.

In some states, such as North Carolina, Republicans just won the state with 50.3% of the vote, and gained 10 out of the states 13 seats. In others like Wisconsin, the governor just flipped from Republican to Democrat, so the current Republican legislature, in tandem with the governors office, are moving as much of the governors power to the legislature as possible for the next session, literally voting the power away from the office, so that they still hold all of that power come the next term.

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The point is to create the façade the sheeple have free choice.
There is no free choice you do as your told or they will crack the whip

posted on Nov, 10 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
the electoral college is to prevent a mob rule system where the majority can determine the future of the minority.

it also keeps NY, SF and LA from running our entire country thank god. If I could remember which anti federalist papers it was talked about in but to summarize, "people in georgia couldn't possible understand issues affecting people in mass."

and this is how this system was negotiated
edit on 10-11-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join