It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Targeting Birthright Citizenship With Executive Order

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yes, it's complicated. That's why an EO is a baaaad idea.

You don't get to just ignore the Constitution, without it coming back to bite you at some future point.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
a reply to: Sillyolme

Tell that to the leftist looking to rip the First and Second from us, trust in that everyone wants a crack at admends.

Think it through

If Trump succeeds in changing the constitution by executive order, he would set the precedent for a future "leftist" president to do the same thing.

In other words, your whataboutism is actually support for enabling the same people you despise.

If you can think beyond your deep emotional involvement in partisan politics, you'd see that this a very dangerous idea regardless of who proposes it.
edit on 30-10-2018 by Whodathunkdatcheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Trump is wrong here.

It states rather simply in the 14th amendment. . .

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

-Wiki

Sorry Donny, but you'll lose this fight.

Well, it was interpretation to begin with that brought us here, and now its how one interprets and subject to the jurisdiction thereof.

How about we wait and see what comes from this, since this tactic has worked before.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I think there are policies for the chinese lady, if 6 months pregnant she can not fly into America. There's a reason for that.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Yeah nothing is being changed by executive order.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: Xcathdra

Correct - Due process applies to criminal law.

Immigration law is not criminal and the courts are not courts of general jurisdiction.

Due process also applies to asylum seekers.

and in the case you cited it was remanded back to the immigration court and in the end nothing changed. The ruling does not do what you are claiming.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Just shows how far down the progressive road America has gone that this is even a debate. Everybody says why can't we be like Europe and have socialized healthcare? Then why do you want different citizenship laws than even those liberal havens do?

The 14th Amendment was only to give citizenship to former slaves.
Any other interpretation is wrong.

Then it needs to be amended. Because it doesn't say that.

Passed in 1868 the intent should be clear since the unresolved issue of slave born in the US and those brought from Africa needed legal status. This was accepted only until the last 50 years when progressive politics began it's process of twisting interpretation of law for their own ends.
edit on 30-10-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I guess Elizabeth Warren's next child won't be an American.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Is it true that they want to make it retroactive to before 1776?

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: luthier

Yeah nothing is being changed by executive order.

Oh I agree.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Cheech and Chong - "Born In East L.A."
5:25

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
Let's see how many of his supporters care about the constitution now.

This should be good
He's welcome to his opinion, but the 14th amendment is still in tact. If he signs it, I will be against his doing that, and the courts should uphold the constitution.

But that doesn't leave you any room to post a snarky remark.......I bet that sucks.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I don't see your fellow supporters here on ATS flocking to support your declaration of sense....

(I was just demonstrating that there was still room
)
edit on 44pm18fpmTue, 30 Oct 2018 18:50:54 -0500America/ChicagoTue, 30 Oct 2018 18:50:54 -0500 by Wayfarer because: explanation

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I do so love how the letter of the constitution has become so relevant.

Because it sure ain't when it's boomsticks.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: TinySickTears
Let's see how many of his supporters care about the constitution now.

This should be good
He's welcome to his opinion, but the 14th amendment is still in tact. If he signs it, I will be against his doing that, and the courts should uphold the constitution.

But that doesn't leave you any room to post a snarky remark.......I bet that sucks.

18 page in with an actual comment

burn

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This whole argument is moot. A President can't change the constitution on a whim by virtue of an EO, for very important reasons. If he really wants to change or amend it, he'll have to do it the right way. Which he has avoided to this point, because once he found the power of EO, he has used it repeatedly to avoid having to actually work out policy, deal with congress, etc. It won't bail him out this time.

And if he does something so stupid as to do this, it will not become law, and it will be done. If he -really- wants to change it, he'll need to bring a proper proposal to the table, and go through the same hoops and channels all his predecessors have had to go through. He is not King Trump. Dictator Trump. Dear Leader Trump. He is the POTUS, and has to work within the frameworks of that role. So all this pointless bickering is pointless.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Trump is wrong here.

It states rather simply in the 14th amendment. . .

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

-Wiki

Sorry Donny, but you'll lose this fight.

The key phrase here is " and subject to the jurisdiction there of."

If they are here illegally then they are still subject to the jurisdiction of the country they are a citizen of and not this country.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
Naw, we can make admendments.

You're right. We should alter the second amendment. Unless you're in the military or the state or local police, you shouldn't carry a weapon.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Somekindofwizard

Any person in the United States is subject to the laws and the constitutional protections of the United States.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
seems to be a logical first step in the path to being able to restrict citizenship to a select few.

So you don't see the difference between citizens who came to the U.S legally, and were born legally, vs the illegal immigrants who have babies in the U.S. and know this will help them stay in the U.S.?...

What POTUS Trump is trying to stop is for more illegal immigrants to use this loophole to illegally get their children U.S. citizenship...

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join