It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do I find threads where someone replied/quoted me & more navigation suggestions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Excuse my lacks of bluntness and rambling - been working 23+ hours haven't eaten and really need sleep.

So in every board/site there are some functions that seems totally reasonable to have but there are no where to be found and here is one I have discovered.

Where is the link, header category, button ,etc that will show you all the replies or quotes from your previous postings. Too many times I will say something in a thread as a quote/reply to a specific user but I loose track of the thread and forget to ever check it again.

So is there a way to do this, find all the replies /quotes on the board, in forums, subforums, etc.

I'm sure there are other great examples that could help us like having each reply within a thread numbered, so the OP would be 1, second post 2 and so on. This makes pointing out where something is said much easier and it might allow for someone to link to a thread at a specific portion of the thread like referring to thread thread1220353_post_aa012 would take you to thread1220353 and post 12, instead of the first posting on thread1220353.

So if you want to quote someone from a thread, in your own unique thread, you can write out the quote and then supply a link to the thread and post # (possibly even a line # for any users to read) would bring up the proper thread, but not the post or even page #. It's really difficult if you have 5-15 threads active ATM, but more like 300+ a week! Is there a ways to say "post 23 on thread1220353" and then it directs you to the 23rd posting of the thread!

If you want to report something it is very difficult. There are many times when there are specific posts within threads, say post 4.6.9.11.18 are all "toxic" and break rules. Well that can be reported, either by checking a box in the postings window or through the PM we use now, but at least we could name them instead of describing them.

I'm all about ease and I know many boards where this is a standard feature. If i could possibly help let me know and I can see what I can do to lend a hand

We also need a way to get messages (PM or email) when an older thread (maybe we can choose cutoff date, and what applies for the warning) of yours gets responded to or gets moved or whatever.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof
Top line of icons, third icon from the right, next to the "i".
Labeled as "replies to your threads", but actually covering replies to any of your posts.

On your final paragraph, I cover that by being permananently subscribed to all the threads I start, so any fresh replies show up on MyATS. (The subscription is automatic- just don't delete it, and remember to check regularly)

On reporting individual posts- Look to the left at the mini-profile of the member posting it. If you click on the little green blob, a range of options come up including ALERT! that specific post.

edit on 30-10-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Just go to your inbox/messages and in between the in- and outbox there is a "thread replies" button. It will show you all replies you received in any thread.

Peace

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 02:21 AM
link   

I was re-reading your OP and it looks like you want to link to a specific post in a different thread..

You can link to a specific reply in a different thread like so...

this is a post from you in another thread

But to show the content of that post you still have to manually copy/paste the text in between quotes..

14 texts while I typed just the above reply!

Click the quote and it will take you to the source for that quote...

Something like that?

Peace
edit on 2018pAmerica/ChicagoTue, 30 Oct 2018 02:30:16 -0500am3130201810 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   

I've got nothing better to do and all the time in the world so let's break this down a bit..

The more I read your question the more I realise it's a bunch of questions...lol

First up: to know if anybody used one of your posts as a quote in an other thread/post is not possible...to my knowledge

Now to find out if anybody replied to a post of yours just go to your inbox and click 'thread replies"

If you want to see all your replies on ATS you can go to your profile and under "posts" it shows all your replies in chronological order.

Now if you want to see all your own posts in a specific thread all you have to do is click the little green man under your stats in your avatar and select "posts in thread" (also notice the "alert" option, that's all you need for those toxic posts!!). This will show you all the posts you (or any other member you'd like to see) made in that thread.

And finally...if you want to link directly to a specific post in an other thread just click the "link" button in the upper right corner of the post you want to show. It will give you the url to that post. Copy that address and put it in the link of the post you are making.

You can play around with BBcode in your post and try out what sticks.

I hope I have answered some of your questions.

And if you are looking for a nice avatar to pimp it up a little, here's a link to the avatar creation crew. They can make you anything you request..

Peace
edit on 2018pAmerica/ChicagoTue, 30 Oct 2018 04:07:34 -0500am3107201810 by operation mindcrime because: uuuughhhh...spelling. Sorry guys!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Lol we "need" a way. Where do you get off making demands "troof"? You're always demanding and complaining that we don't have the features we need when everybody else is just fine. I read these demand threads by you each time you go on one of your posting sprees, you sound very entitled.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Go to your profile and click the balloon that says posts.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

that is replies to posts you have made not the posts you have written.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme
It isn't clear what you mean by this distinction.
Yes, if the first means "individual posts within threads", and the second means "self-originated threads".
The label on the icon promises replies to the second, but actually delivers replies to the first.
Which is why I depend on myATS for the other category.

edit on 30-10-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

some good questions here that I needed answering myself. BUT

If you want to report something it is very difficult. There are many times when there are specific posts within threads, say post 4.6.9.11.18 are all "toxic" and break rules. Well that can be reported, either by checking a box in the postings window or through the PM we use now, but at least we could name them instead of describing them.

Come on really? you ARE DEFINITELY gonna read thing's that make you uncomfortable here. Does the world need more PC Police? Toxic_______ (whatever action) is only around to silence debate or stifle actions. It doesnt fly well around here either, from what I've seen. nobody likes a tattle-tale. tsk tsk. I'm half laughing but half not.lol
Anyways... thanx for asking questions that I needed answer to aswell.
peace
edit on 30-10-2018 by AnrkE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

would you happen to know how to see which threads get starred? you seem to know your way around pretty well

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AnrkE

Yeah as far as I know there are not functions to see which post get starred or which thread gets flagged.

But on your previous post I just want to say that the alert function isn't some "tattle-tale..tsk tsk" thingy...it is most certainly the most important function this site has to offer in regards to quality control.

Moderators aren't reading through every thread checking to see if the terms and condition are obeyed. They rely very much on us to help them regulate this site.

We have rules here that are not always so obvious if you just dropped in from facebook or twitter. Manners and Decorum are very high up on the priority list.

Peace
edit on 2018pAmerica/ChicagoTue, 30 Oct 2018 13:03:58 -0500pm3103201810 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

fair enough. I understand the rules governing manners and decorum. however when I see Toxic_______, I read it as hurt feelings or radical opinions, which might otherwise offend the reader. dangerous when considered against free speech, and I prefer to have free speech and risk being offended. I mean if it is really bad to hold certain opinion's, then won't the whole community backlash, knock you back into shape? surely that is more instructive to the offender than simple censorship. no?

while I got you here what is the purpose of flagging a post? to find it later? also is the Avatar the pick on the left? where my grey background is? I'm old and don't understand some of these terms. thank you

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AnrkE

Maybe it's because I've been here longer and know most moderators a little bit better but I trust their judgment and fear no censoring by alerting them of things that stand out.

Anyways...the flagging of a thread is merely a way to show appreciation.

Peace
edit on 2018pAmerica/ChicagoTue, 30 Oct 2018 13:03:42 -0500pm3103201810 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

thank you for your time. yeah haven't been here long, so if you say you trust their judgement, then I will too. I assume because real rules have to be broken, instead of broken hearts, feelings and minds.

top topics

join