It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people send 8 short texts instead of one?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Amen brother or sister, Amen. Preach. It drives me nuts. Don't hit send until you have finished what you have to say. Was is that so difficult?

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Leave them tons of voicemail.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
Why not just dial the number and talk?

Yeah, I don't understand why people even want to text in the first place. They have this new invention, see, where you can pick up a device and talk to people that are far away with your actual voice; and you can even hear their voice in reply! It totally obsoletes that persnicketty telegraph system where you just send a message in text. I don't know why all my friends say I need to join the 21st Century, when they're the one's stuck using 19th Century-type technology. Sheesh! I don't even own a cell-phone - because I don't need one. My telephone hangs on the wall and I use it to call people. That's all I need it to do - I already have a lot of other devices that already serve other purposes and have done so for a long time. I don't need those same services all tied up together.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Have never really had that problem but have heard of this phenomenon.
My advice would be to just tell said person to stop that crap. The occasional after thought is acceptable but to constantly do so is stupid.

That is pretty much how I feel. I sent 4 normal text messages w were about 160 characters, one was 204. I received 78 reply texts from the 4 I sent, so about 19 replies per single text.

The thing about text is that it can be written and composed over a period of time while seeing the message you are responding to. It's not like you have to read a sentence, respond, open the message back up 7 read next sentence, respond, repeat, repeat, etc. It's no different than replying to an email.

Could you imagine sending someone an email of a paragraph length and getting 19 different emails back, sometimes jumping around in order, fixing a mis'quote of text 5 in text #14 and have the reader try to deal with this?

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

If anyone ever texts me back I'll be sure to tell them it's stupid

link   

originally posted by: drewlander

Long texts get broken up anyway. Do a quick search on max characters in an sms and there are tons of explanations. I read up on this cuz i was constantly getting big messages broken up out of order and was trying to figure out why.

I agree with ya on the necessarily short ones tho. Its annoying.

Yeah, I can see the character count and I keep it within one text 95% of the time (160 characters, just a few more than a tweet). If it is longer, it just sends 2 messages but most phones piece it together and show it as a single message. If I was sending more than 1 1/2 text messages (over 240 characters) I would break it up and send it in 2 sets usually, so they can read the one and start replying while I finish typing the other. Now if the message has a lot of needed info for one conversation, I'll send it all at once.

AS far as using the phone, text is easier and better in some situations. I rarely text anymore but I do if I need to just send a quick note or something I forgot to tell them when we spoke or saw each other.

link   

When someone keeps sending small texts when they could have said it all in one message. I text them back and say call me or...I call them.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: luciferslight
Leave them tons of voicemail.
I like the way you think!

There are also services where you can flood people's text box (maybe 10,000 texts and hour or more) and if you are good, you can even make it look like they are all coming from your own contacts! You can do the same thing with automated calls that will leave any number of pre-recorded messages (there is a wide range to choose from).

You can cripple someone's cell phone very easily and it is basically impossible to block these properly without loosing the texting capability or voicemail function on your phone.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

Yeah, I don't understand why people even want to text in the first place. They have this new invention, see, where you can pick up a device and talk to people that are far away with your actual voice; and you can even hear their voice in reply! It totally obsoletes that persnicketty telegraph system where you just send a message in text. I don't know why all my friends say I need to join the 21st Century, when they're the one's stuck using 19th Century-type technology. Sheesh! I don't even own a cell-phone - because I don't need one. My telephone hangs on the wall and I use it to call people. That's all I need it to do - I already have a lot of other devices that already serve other purposes and have done so for a long time. I don't need those same services all tied up together.

So if someone is going to pick up dinner (say a pizza at the local pizza shop), they leave and are driving but you realize you are out of drinks. Wouldn't it be fine to send a text "pick up a 2L of soda too". I would think that would be better than calling and talking while driving.

Other times when I need to ask someone a question but I know they are busy, I'll text them and I know they'll respond when they get a chance. no need to wait for a call or interrupt them. No need to log into voicemail, listen to a message, etc.

Text's also are good for sendig things like an address, name/model of a specific product, things that need to be accurate and may be difficult to remember.

Text isn't so much different than email. I can send a text messages to a cell phone number from my email address, but IDK if I can receive a text in my email. So I can send a text message to anyone with a cell phone with my email account which is kind of nice.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

If anyone ever texts me back I'll be sure to tell them it's stupid

What? Is that really what you take away from this conversation? I know everyone else has understood that it isn't the act of texting that is stupid it is the way some people do it. If you can't parse that from these 2 pages, you need to go back to your remedial education classes.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
you need to go back to your remedial education classes.

Oh sheet!

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

edit on 29-10-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

edit on 29-10-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

IMHO

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Lulz

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

you need to go back to your remedial education classes.

Oh sheet!

I think I may have taken what you said out of context, though IDK. Could you explain your first post in this thread that said something like:

"If anyone ever texts me back I'll be sure to tell them it's stupid"

I think I took that the wrong way, maybe not. Was that a sarcastic jab (to the complaint) or was it in agreement that multiple replies was stupid?

I'll explain what I meant after you reply. I obviously thought it was a sarcastic jab, b/c of my snide remark. If it wasn't I apologize ahead for that. If it was, well, let me know either way.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   

ITS HOW I LIVE MUH LYFE

edit on 29-10-2018 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
nao youll never know ^_^
edit on 29-10-2018 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Double posted.
edit on 30-10-2018 by TrulyColorBlind because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

So if someone is going to pick up dinner (say a pizza at the local pizza shop), they leave and are driving but you realize you are out of drinks. Wouldn't it be fine to send a text "pick up a 2L of soda too". I would think that would be better than calling and talking while driving.

Other times when I need to ask someone a question but I know they are busy, I'll text them and I know they'll respond when they get a chance. no need to wait for a call or interrupt them. No need to log into voicemail, listen to a message, etc.

Text's also are good for sendig things like an address, name/model of a specific product, things that need to be accurate and may be difficult to remember.

Text isn't so much different than email. I can send a text messages to a cell phone number from my email address, but IDK if I can receive a text in my email. So I can send a text message to anyone with a cell phone with my email account which is kind of nice.

I don't forget if I'm out of soda. It's not rocket science to be able to remember if you're out of soda. I simply use my brain - that's what it's for.

"I'll text them and I know they'll respond when they get a chance." You mean those times when it's not real important that you get an immediate reply? Meaning, you could have just waited until that night when everybody was home from work and then just call them? What's wrong with that? It works fine with me. Because, seriously.... is it really a life or death situation that you have to contact them right that second? Be truthful.
edit on 30-10-2018 by TrulyColorBlind because: Lost some of what I typed for some reason.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join