It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people send 8 short texts instead of one?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I don't understand some people I text. I'll send a text using the 160 characters (or whatever). I don't send 8-15 texts saying the same thing, each text being a short 1-8 word sentence. WTF is the point of that? Is there a reason other than being lazy? I could use up all free 200 texts in 5-6 exchanges back and forth when it should be 10-12 (each 5-6 FULL/complete 160 character texts).

This isn't like they will send a text and then 1-2 mins later another one, this is one every 2-5 seconds and I'll get like 10-30 in a row! WTF is this madness!??

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Sorry but us old people text like we speak. guilty as charged!

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
unlimited...

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
data...

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I
do
it
to
piss
people
off.
edit on 2018/10/29 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Sorry but us old people text like we speak. guilty as charged!

Wow, old people do this? I figured it was a younger person thing.

you know text IS NOT instant messenger. Text is like twitter, you fill it up if you have more than one thing to say.

Get a few questions in a text. respond with all the answers in one text.

I'd want to shove the phone down the person's throat that does this. How stupid are they? No offense, but the lack of self awareness and thinking that the other person just loves to hear the constant "ring/notification" for 20 texts in 60-100 seconds is a selfish SOB.

if this is the case, I'm going to figure out how to make the phone companies start charging per text for everyone. That will be my new goal. I'm sure they will be happy b/c there is always a way to manipulate them when it brings in more money - they will love it and it will teach discourteous people some self restraint and manners.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

14 texts while I typed just the above reply!

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

If it bugs you — tell the perpetrators to formulate all their thought before they send you a text.

Communication is the key. 🤗

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

We like to hear that swooopy sound every time we hit send.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Successive...

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

... afterthought.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
they dont think that far ahead

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I
do
it
to
piss
people
off.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I
do
it
to
piss
people
off.

Well if that is in fact true, may you be blessed by repaid by an order of magnitude!

If someone did this to me, I'd find a way to make sure those 10-60 extra texts, (if done on purpose), found themselves in a situation where they would rather smash the phone with a sledge hammer and move to a far away mountain to be a hermit than continue the punishment they were receiving.

A little tip to those out there who think you are cute, coy, sly, slick, etc. It's not a smart idea to purposefully irritate people with tech ability (and/or has friends with next level tech skills - not script kiddies) because there are things out there that can make your phone basically useless with very little effort in the senders part. There are so many options, it's just how much and how far you want to take it, but if your phone is your tether to the world, it can be put on a very long time out if need be.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Have never really had that problem but have heard of this phenomenon.
My advice would be to just tell said person to stop that crap. The occasional after thought is acceptable but to constantly do so is stupid.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Why not just dial the number and talk?

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
You could just call them up or if you can't stomach that, send an email however long you want. Texting is not necessary.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
My daughter does this and it drives me mad. I will text her my wee paragraph and when she answers, every time she pauses or takes a breath she sends so now I just wait a few extra minutes to let the complete answer arrive before reading.

One day as we were having a bit of banter I texted "oh yeah so that is like your inability to text in a whole paragraph" and quick as a flash I get a text back saying "yeah just like your inability to bend over without farting!" Lol she is so sharp she could cut herself! But what could I say? I think I am turning into my dad!!!

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
Why not just dial the number and talk?

with a person?
like... real people?

People... they're the worst
and they're everywhere..

no no no.. at arms length and by text is the safest way

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Long texts get broken up anyway. Do a quick search on max characters in an sms and there are tons of explanations. I read up on this cuz i was constantly getting big messages broken up out of order and was trying to figure out why.

I agree with ya on the unecessarily short ones tho. Its annoying.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join