It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do US liberals think the UK is racist for defending its border?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I'm genuinely curious because fortress Britain does its best to keep people out but there is not much of a campaign by the people to soften its stance.
I know Britain is an island but our defences actually start on mainland Europe.

In France and Belgium where the tunnel train and most ferries come from our border force are actually on their soil stopping immigrants from breaching the ports. The UK has spent millions on fences as well, plus massive fines for truck drivers per stowaway, they can impound the vehicle and close a business down if it is involved in people smuggling.
The French want out of the juxtaposed border agreement because thousands of migrants are refusing to register there wishing instead to enter Britain illegally.
If the French had their way they'd just let them on the ferries and trains, they don't want their shanty town slums either. Paris used to be beautiful, now not so much.

If Britain catches anyone illegally here they get a chance of justice but if they've registered in a prior safe nation they get kicked out, by force if needed.

It is still not enough though, the border force only has 3 ships to patrol 20 odd thousand miles of coast, and UK fishermen are involved in smuggling people, the amounts made far exceed a full catch of fish.
But Britain is defiant and strictly controls entry in ways no other EU nation does.
So that said, back to the OP question, what do liberal US members think of Britain's policy?

Racist xenophobes, or reasonable defence of a sovereign nation?
...all other opinions welcome about the wider question of defending national borders.
edit on 29-10-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: defence/defense

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

That's a question that I want to hear the answer too.

I never understood why the usa is expected to have different immigration standards than other countries.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I live in the US and I don't know anyone that thinks protecting the US border makes anyone a racist?

Only idiots on TV and only when people carry it too far into insults and untruths.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

While, I dislike Trump, I would not call myself liberal. So I may not want to be who you want to hear from necessarily. However, I do not think any county protecting their border is racist. I think every county has the right to protect it's borders and control/vet whom enters.

Where I think the racism comes in, at least in the United States, is when people starting generalizing all illegal immigrants as rapists and criminals. I don't want to let everyone in, but I can sympathize wanting to leave for a better situation. The US has quite the process to become a citizen. I can at least understand why not everyone has the time and means to go through the process.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
Me too, Britain is brutal with illegals, not 'beating them up brutal' but if you lose your legal case after detention you are flown out straight away.
Britain should be the pariah of the EU because it is so strict, probably is, a few German ATS members whine about our strict immigration controls every now and then lol

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: headorheart

While, I dislike Trump, I would not call myself liberal. So I may not want to be who you want to hear from necessarily. However, I do not think any county protecting their border is racist. I think every county has the right to protect it's borders and control/vet whom enters.

Where I think the racism comes in, at least in the United States, is when people starting generalizing all illegal immigrants as rapists and criminals. I don't want to let everyone in, but I can sympathize wanting to leave for a better situation. The US has quite the process to become a citizen. I can at least understand why not everyone has the time and means to go through the process.

Do you see what you did there??

illegal immigrants & criminals --- according to US law, they would be criminals, so....

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Heaven has a wall a gate and very strict immigration policies.

Hell has open borders and just lets anyone in.

Think about that for a sec.
edit on 29-10-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: six67seven

You are correct. Crossing a board illegally would be a crime and make one a criminal. I meant a criminal in their own county, a person with bad intent.

link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Heaven has a wall a gate and very strict immigration.

But some old guys in the middle east made that up thousands of years ago. Think about that.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: notsure1
Heaven has a wall a gate and very strict immigration.

But some old guys in the middle east made that up thousands of years ago. Think about that.

Still rings true. Open borders means hell.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This is what you´ll have to tolerate, acording to those who are against protecting borders and even let people without a passport into the country.

And then, you´ll have smug faces like the guys around 2:30... Who grew up in a country this old lady helped to build up and think it´s cool to harrass her because she´s voicing her opinion and experiences. A german that talks smart how this lady is insulting the islam with what she says.

I bet his parents were his best friends and never teached them some manners.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
If you think a people is above another peoples law?

THAT's RACIST.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter
That was a really interesting vid, thanks for posting it.
Totally different for you guys isn't it.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: Bluntone22
Britain is brutal with illegals...

I bet Australia could totally top Britain when it comes to being brutal to illegals and people claiming asylum.

If we catch anyone trying make it to the mainland... Our navy just tows their boat to an offshore island, where they'll be held indefinitely in a minimum security prison, until they agree to go home.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I could relate (true) stories to you that would make your neck-hair stand up.

Actually I did here and there over the last three years.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa
Yep, I mentioned that in another thread, which foreign nation is it you rent the holding camps in? Fiji or Tuvalu or somewhere?
Oz is way more brutal than the UK.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Wow, I can only try to image how it would turn out if Germany did that.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter
I've read them, it is why I support the UK govt stance on the border, most people do which explains why the govt is able to carry on same same.
Calais is a warzone in all but name.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

The real question is why is the west more accepting then the rest of the world? I feel like other countries would be far less accepting of different cultures and races migrating at such massive numbers.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I don't think the people you are looking at will touch this with a 50 foot cattle prod, as a conservative of course I think you folks should defend your borders as you see fit.

Every nation has the right to control who enters their country, its mind boggling to me that some people feel certain groups should pass freely but I have to shell out a few hundred bucks and wait for a passport to be able to enter other countries..

Even more mind boggling to me that some of my idiot countrymen see nothing wrong with non-citizens voting in US elections at any level.

I lived in germany for 4 years and not once did I think I deserved to have a say in the politics of that country.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join