It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ending the stupid. From my perspective.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Sometimes...after constantly turning the other cheek...people run out of cheeks.
So they tend to get a little cheeky.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Thanks. you mean in a "man love" kind of way right, and not an "I'd love to have you for dinner", kind of way?

You're about the only one here that could come over for dinner and live to tell about it.

#OnlyMasonLivesMatter

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
time to accept some ignorance?

I see you as a person but you do not see others as persons when they do not agree with you. I have read it time and time again.

You can believe me or not, and you won't, because you are one of those "too cool for school" types or something.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Sometimes...after constantly turning the other cheek...people run out of cheeks.

Have you used all four? If so, I have a few spares I can loan you.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Have you used all four? If so, I have a few spares I can loan you.

Thankyou....I think I might still have a little space left in the freezer in my garage.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Any time I was critical of the former president I would be accused of hating him because he was brown, even if I had a reason that had nothing to do with Obama's skin color.

Sounds kind of similar to what you accuse anyone who supports Trump.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Great post, with one glaring issue (in my mind):

Everyone on the Left feels the way you do, in reverse. The Left feels that the Right are a bunch of smug, arrogant A-holes. I've seen it on here many times. Any time someone presents a thought that is in opposition to the Right, it's met with something akin to:
"Winning! MAGA! Go to your safe space, Snowflake! Get used to it, Trump 2020!" Etc, ad nauseam.

I'm not even Democrat, and it's SO annoying to read that crap in every single political thread. Not to mention the blatant, outright lies/misinformation about the Left that some members post.

You feel that the Left started it. Every Liberal on here is going to say the Right started it. Those are your/their belief structures (the Right is right! No, the Left is right!). There's absolutely no way to to know for sure exactly how it started, but it's taking this site downhill quickly.
People's political differences are always going to cause arguments. That's never going to change. But, we (ATS, and the country as a whole) can be WAY more civil about it than we have been recently.

Now, my personal opinion? I'd argue that it started to take this dive around the time of the 2016 debates.
There are many people on here that applauded, and still applaud, Trump for talking the way he does, not sugar coating what he's saying, for being argumentative, for not being overly nice, etc. I feel that's why this started.
I am in NO WAY blaming Trump. I'm saying people took Trump's lead ("if he can talk like that, so can we"), it got out of hand, and decency and decorum fell by the wayside because of it.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Two years ago when Trump was elected I laid out two options: A.) Either the Trump supporters could act like gracious winners, extend a hand across the aisle, and attempt to get some compromise going on; or B.) They could act like pompous assholes and disregard everything the Left had to say.

In the end the Right chose Option B. As a result we have a continuation of what the Right did to the Left for the entirety of the Obama administration at a more extreme level.

It's nice that you're admitting your faults now but it's too little too late. Thanks to the hubris of the Right, come January 3rd we'll be back in to the cycle of massive gridlock.

Your were all warned that your gloating would reap results that would negatively affect the nation. Instead of heeding those warnings you chose to mock the messengers. So, ultimately, I feel no sympathy for you or any like you. You are the root cause for the country's current state and the sooner you realize that the sooner things might be able to change.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
a reply to: network dude

You literally saying trump is president stop the opposition, agree with everything he does and says... Yes he's the president, no need for more Praises.

But you can't expect people to be on the side of trump with no questions?

It's even apparent for conservatives on ats whom dare even hint at a critical analysis of a move by trump; threads which would otherwise get stars and flag galore are uncharacteristically abandoned when an eyebrow is raised at trump.

Your plea is that you're acting the way you do because people are opposing trump? What logic is that?

quick lesson. "literally"

lit·er·al·ly /ˈlidərəlē,ˈlitrəlē/Submit adverb in a literal manner or sense; exactly.

grasp the language first please.

Here is what I 'literally" said.

Trump is president. He will be until the next election, unless we decide not to have any viable people run to oppose him. Just as we who didn’t like Obama, couldn’t do anything about him being the president, you who don’t like Trump can’t do anything about him, other than what you have been doing, and that isn’t really working. It’s just causing what I think is the root of the problem.

pick it apart and find where I offered any love for Trump in that. that guy is a douche bag. don't be that guy.

link   

I don't think apathy is an effective way of getting what you want.

Democracy only works if your preference is expressed.

As a citizen of a democratic country, it is our civic duty to 'be political'.

link   

I feel similarly about a lot of your OP.
And I actually support a lot of the more liberal positions, like abortion, gay marriage, legalizing pot, not having religion influenced laws.

But man, the douche baggery and group think of the leftists just makes me sick. And the temper tantrums...

Until they grow up and pull their heads out of their asses, I feel it's my obligation to continue to trigger the triggerables.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Ah so you are the one to decide how the community reacts? You have to explain that a bit in deep to us all I think.

Your were all warned that your gloating would reap results that would negatively affect the nation. Instead of heeding those warnings you chose to mock the messengers. So, ultimately, I feel no sympathy for you or any like you. You are the root cause for the country's current state and the sooner you realize that the sooner things might be able to change.

So who are you exactly that you come here, today, and act like the future of ATS is or was in your hands? You warned? Did you set straight your own buddies that spare no ugly tactic for their delusional "impeachment".

The right side gloating after Trumps win, while the left gloated all the way until everything fell to pieces for them and this whole #show started?

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The #walkaway movement isn't by accident, nor is it Russian "bots". LOL. There's a reason for it, a very real one. Watching videos of that rally has really cooled me down. So much unity there.

America is waking up. The assholes won't continue to have a grip on our society and culture for much longer. I have strong faith in that. Hang in there Dude. Many others are standing right beside you and we will overcome this.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Two years ago when Trump was elected I laid out two options: A.) Either the Trump supporters could act like gracious winners, extend a hand across the aisle, and attempt to get some compromise going on; or B.) They could act like pompous assholes and disregard everything the Left had to say.

In the end the Right chose Option B. As a result we have a continuation of what the Right did to the Left for the entirety of the Obama administration at a more extreme level.

It's nice that you're admitting your faults now but it's too little too late. Thanks to the hubris of the Right, come January 3rd we'll be back in to the cycle of massive gridlock.

what, in your opinion, should we do different? Should we just sit back and shut the fluck up when someone claims Trump killed Mexicans and buried them in the Rose garden.....according to anonymous sources?

LOL, the only thing we can do offensively is pick on Obama, who ins't president anymore, or Hillary, who isn't and will never be president.

Enlighten me. Point me to the path.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

You literally saying trump is president stop the opposition, agree with everything he does and says... Yes he's the president, no need for more Praises.

But you can't expect people to be on the side of trump with no questions?

It's even apparent for conservatives on ats whom dare even hint at a critical analysis of a move by trump; threads which would otherwise get stars and flag galore are uncharacteristically abandoned when an eyebrow is raised at trump.

Your plea is that you're acting the way you do because people are opposing trump? What logic is that?

quick lesson. "literally"

lit·er·al·ly /ˈlidərəlē,ˈlitrəlē/Submit adverb in a literal manner or sense; exactly.

grasp the language first please.

Here is what I 'literally" said.

Trump is president. He will be until the next election, unless we decide not to have any viable people run to oppose him. Just as we who didn’t like Obama, couldn’t do anything about him being the president, you who don’t like Trump can’t do anything about him, other than what you have been doing, and that isn’t really working. It’s just causing what I think is the root of the problem.

pick it apart and find where I offered any love for Trump in that. that guy is a douche bag. don't be that guy.

But that's the thing. Obama was president before Trump. Nothing the Right could do about it. But there were hundreds of threads on ATS criticizing him, questioning his nationality, calling him all sorts of names, etc. There still are posts about it. Same goes for Hillary.

Why is it ok for the Right to do that, but when the Left does, they're douches?

Again, I applaud the thread. But, in order for it to work, you need to back away from partisan bickering, as well as everyone else, on both sides.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

thanks brother. I know there is hope for the future, it's just hard to see at times.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

You are half and as you may think me of the other half, please accept my honesty here.
I see this side of you, this aspect of honesty you offer above and this is why I even bother to read some of what you present. And this one was worth it. This kind of writing offers the kind of honesty that I came to ATS to find. To come to understand conservatism as felt by conservatives rather than that old stereotype of ''stupid conservatives''.

Your bio above sounds very similar to my own, though mine came about decades earlier. The way you follow your emergence into political thought is familiar to me other than when I became political, it was liberalism that offered the change to the stultifying bog of status quo conservatism of the 1950s.

Some of my thoughts on what you suggest above are that in general, we, as humans, can have levels of thinking. There is the day to day, the get on to tomorrow, the survival stuff until we do not fear for our own existence. That has always been our major task, from day one until now. Survive.

Once that survival is accomplished to a reasonable degree, some of our brain power becomes accessible for other thought. In some this becomes creative as in artists and such. Philosophers, spirituality etc. But mostly I think this to be ''conceptual thinking''

I used to think that this was a liberals only exercise, that conservatives were stuck in the survival mentality. I was wrong. To a degree I now think that none of us can get away from the survival thinking. MIxing the two, conceptual thinking and survival thinking leads us to think conceptually about that which threatens our survival.

That which threatens our survival is the enemy. When the threat is seen as oppression by an ''established order'' or a status quo that stymies the growth of the individual the drive for the individual to grow and survive develops a need to fight against that established order.

When, as in my case, that established order is seen as conservative, liberalism is an avenue for freedom.
When, as in your case, that established order can be seen as liberalism and conservatism is the avenue for freedom

Now I know that I can be completely off base here Dude, as I often am. But this is how I am thinking about this divide at this time and I hope that possibly this may help you in understanding some of how some of us who are seen as liberals are striving as well to breach this stupid divide we find so many of us to be in.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

It started as a well written rational plea for discussion... Then by paragraph 3, it became another left bashing, mea culpa, divisive thread, praising trump....

Take the stick out your eyes before noticing specs of dusts in other people' eyes.

These threads pop up every time trump screams the blame on others... The followers follow. Yet never hold the leader of the country accountable for anything.

Isn't it weird how it's always someone else to blame? Always...?

The smug arrogant a holes on the left got worse, whilst the pure noble and virtuous on the right got more 'right'?

What are you talking about? How can someone so blatantly point the blame on 'the left' when the president of the free world spews more trash out of his mouth more than any other?

And yet, even with Trump's obvious and well known flaws, he still won the election over Hillary and the left. Why do you think that is? What would cause people to go with the obnoxious guy over your person?

Is it going to be honest discussion or insults?

Insults?
My person?
Any criticism of trump makes anyone the enemy. That's why the country is in the state of affairs its in now.

I'm open to discussion but you're the one who already affiliated me with Hillary because of objective criticism of trump.

I don't think you'll be able to see that, you immediately project as defense... But hey...

Didn't mean to trigger you there bud. This is a safe space. I'll rephrase the question, if the court allows it.

Why do you think the voters still voted in Trump even with his well known and obvious flaws and downfalls?

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Democrat "Leaders" Pelosi and Schumer threw the first punches with threats.

Now they complain.

😃😃😃

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Know what you mean. I became an arrogant internet-arsehole (from time to time). I'm not american but i'm somewhat one of the 'others'. I don't hate anybody. But i don't like nationalism.

Together we stand
Divided we fall.

I've seen Waters last year! And it was, as always, a hell of a show. Was in Berlin 1990.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join