It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military to Deploy 5,000 Troops to Southern Border

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Military to Deploy 5,000 Troops to Southern Border.

The U.S. military plans to deploy 5,000 troops to the southwest U.S. border in anticipation of a caravan of would-be asylum seekers and migrants currently moving northward in Mexico, U.S. officials said Monday.

As promised.

Not much to add here other than, doesnt this violate the Posse Comitatus Act?

For those of you who arent familiar with it, the Posse Comitatus Act prevents the government from using the military on US soil.

The idea behind it is to ensure that the US doesnt turn into a military dictatorship.

This became an issue under Bush when he pushed for Congress to repeal the Act:

In 2006, Congress modified the Insurrection Act as part of the 2007 Defense Authorization Bill (repealed as of 2008). On September 26, 2006, President George W. Bush urged Congress to consider revising federal laws so that U.S. armed forces could restore public order and enforce laws in the aftermath of a natural disaster, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition.

Again, under the guise of fighting "terrorism".

Fortunately, in 2008, the Act was restored.

edit on 29-10-2018 by gladtobehere because: typo

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

NO
Just NO

+28 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

I am confused?
Whose job is it to protect the border from an invasion?

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

maybe he will push a few clicks into mexico.

we could annex Tijuana. and then el presidente would build a new hotel and golf course

EL Trump Tijana

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

If I was Trump I'd pull all your troops from Germany and get them on the border instead. It is the job of the military to defend a nations border from invaders.

+31 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The military isn't being sent to deal with us citizens. Their being sent to deal with foreigners who are en mass intending to illegally enter our country. Invasion style.
That's exactly what the military is for.

We have come to think of our military as being for screwing with every banana republic and resource containing country the world over,
But the original intent was to actually protect our country from foreign invaders.
Like what's headed here now for example.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

What are your thoughts on it do you think it's the right thing to do, to stop an invading force? Or do you think regular leo's could handle it?

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

If I was Trump I'd pull all your troops from Germany and get them on the border instead. It is the job of the military to defend a nations border from invaders.

I would LOVE to see us pull ALL of our troops and bring them home.
IMO the world needs to look elsewhere for its law enforcement muscle.

(post by JasonBillung removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

We''ll see which arguments are made on both sides.

The military would defend against an attack or "armed" invasion.

Regarding the enforcement of US law, it would be the National Guard.

edit on 29-10-2018 by gladtobehere because: typo

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: JasonBillung

Man I want what you are smoking... sheesh reading that was like kicking myself in the nutties...

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It would save a fortune as well as secure your border.
I'm surprised Trump hasn't done it, Putin isn't invading anytime soon, the EU buys his energy, and all the dirty Russian billions are invested in Londonski.
Bring your troops home, defend the homeland

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Asylum seeker vs invader

It's a tricky one (speaking Constitutionally)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: JasonBillung

How many migrants will you be taking into your home?

Edit to add: would love for you to say those words in my face.
edit on 29-10-2018 by PurpleFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Exclusions and limitations

There are a number of situations in which the Act does not apply. These include:

Army and Air National Guard units and state defense forces while under the authority of the governor of a state.
Federal armed forces used in accordance to the Insurrection Act, as was the case of the 1st Marine Division and 7th Infantry Division being sent to curtail the 1992 Los Angeles riots.
Under 18 U.S.C. § 831, the Attorney General may request that the Secretary of Defense provide emergency assistance if domestic law enforcement is inadequate to address certain types of threats involving the release of nuclear materials, such as potential use of a nuclear or radiological weapon. Such assistance may be by any personnel under the authority of the Department of Defense, provided such assistance does not adversely affect U.S. military preparedness. The only exemption is the deployment of nuclear materials on the part of the United States Armed Forces.
Support roles under the Joint Special Operations Command.
Enforcement of federal law at the discretion of the President of the United States, such as with the 101st Airborne Division by President Dwight D. Eisenhower to integrate Little Rock Central High School in 1957.
Provide surveillance, intelligence gathering, observation, and equipment for domestic law enforcement on operations such as drug interdiction and counter-terrorism missions.
edit on 29-10-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

I would LOVE to see us pull ALL of our troops and bring them home.
IMO the world needs to look elsewhere for its law enforcement muscle.

When a vacancy is made.

Someone will fill it.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee
Constitution can be changed if the majority senate/house vote for it as far as I've read.
It seems to hold you back sometimes, have you seen how Australia does it? They rent holding camps in a foreign country, don't even let them on the mainland until their application is accepted.
The US seems to be a soft touch, like Germany was with the wave of migrants from Africa.

+16 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: JasonBillung

originally posted by: gladtobehere
Military to Deploy 5,000 Troops to Southern Border.

The U.S. military plans to deploy 5,000 troops to the southwest U.S. border in anticipation of a caravan of would-be asylum seekers and migrants currently moving northward in Mexico, U.S. officials said Monday.

As promised.

For those of you who arent familiar with it, the Posse Comitatus Act prevents the government from using the military on US soil.

The idea behind it is to ensure that the US doesnt turn into a military dictatorship.

This became an issue under Bush when he pushed for Congress to repeal the Act:

In 2006, Congress modified the Insurrection Act as part of the 2007 Defense Authorization Bill (repealed as of 2008). On September 26, 2006, President George W. Bush urged Congress to consider revising federal laws so that U.S. armed forces could restore public order and enforce laws in the aftermath of a natural disaster, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition.

Again, under the guise of "terrorism".

Fortunately, in 2008, the Act was restored.

I don't think trump cares about US laws. He has been breaking them all his life. However, he is going to jail soon. So, I guess justice will prevail. It has so far, with all of his buddies getting sent away, and his whole life falling apart.

Nice to see that the US still has a sense of right and wrong. Next weeks election should make many trumpsters weep and knash their teeth. I believe that this will be the end of the right in the US. They will be called out as fascists and racist. They will be shamed in their communites, and dragged down as subhuman dogs.

About time that these haters get called out for swine, and ridiculed in public.

I gave you a star for your relentless, unwavering stupidity.
I believe there is a US law about illegal entry into this country, but you deranged Leftists never seem to remember that.

link   
I have no problem with the military doing border patrols, they do it on the NK/SK border after all (armistice aside, come on) I'd prefer to pay them to patrol here instead of carpet bombing abroad, better use of the money spent.

link   

"IMO the world needs to look elsewhere for its law enforcement muscle."

What laws have the US been enforcing overseas, exactly?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join