It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NTS We have an advocate in heaven

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
“We have an advocate in heaven, Jesus Christ the righteous”- 1 John ch2 v1

The message of the New Testament centres upon what God achieved in Christ, through his death on the Cross and his Resurrection..
All this was happening “on account of our sins”, for the sake of doing something about them.
And the promised result is the forgiveness of sin.

“Forgiveness” means that God is not holding our sins against us.
If we understand ourselves to be standing in court facing judgement, then forgiveness means that we are “not guilty” in the sight of God.

The concept of Satan belongs to this “court” metaphor.
Satan is our accuser in the place of judgement, which is the real significance of the Hebrew term “the adversary”.
Thus his function in Job is to “walk up and down the earth” and notice the faults of men, so I’ve suggested in the past that he represents God’s awareness of our sin..
He stands ready to accuse the high priest Joshua (Zechariah ch3 v1).
In Revelation, he has a secondary function, as promoter of the tribulation. “The place where Satan dwells” is the place where the witnesses get killed (ch3 v13). That is because persecution works by denouncing people to the authorities. So Satan becomes “the accuser of the brethren” in a double sense; if he cannot accuse them in God’s court, he will accuse them in the imperial court instead.

But forgiveness defeats the accuser, absolutely.
We see that in the case of Joshua the high priest, when Satan is frustrated by the removal of Joshua’s iniquity.
Jesus sent out the seventy disciples, and when they returned, he said to them “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven” (Luke ch10 v18). This cannot be the “fall before the creation” described by Milton. For Jesus is describing what he saw during the mission, something which was happening as a result of the mission.
That is to say, the seventy were proclaiming the forgiveness of sin, which was the central message of the mission of Jesus, and forgiveness has the effect that Satan, the accuser, is neutralised. He falls from power.

That is also the meaning of the “fall from heaven” in Revelation ch12.
We learn this from the loud voice that speaks in heaven; “The accuser of our brethren has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb” (vv10-11).
That is the clue which explains the opening verses of the chapter. The birth of the son, his ascension into heaven, the great battle in heaven, are nothing less than a dramatized version of the doctrine of the atonement. The atonement means forgiveness, and forgiveness brings down Satan the accuser from his place of power.
The rest of the chapter and the next chapter show him resenting what Christ has done, and contriving the great persecution of the church as a way of getting his revenge.

If Satan is our accuser, then Christ is our defender, in the tribunal of God.
Jesus is called “our advocate in heaven”. John’s word PARAKLETOS and the Latin word ADVOCATUS have exactly the same root meaning- “someone called to be by your side”, someone who stands by us in our time of difficulty.
I have read that the Jewish legal system of the time did not have professional defenders in court. The accused man’s defence was managed by a close friend who arranged and questioned witnesses, the legal equivalent of the “best man” at a modern wedding. That might be another function of the GOEL, the “nearest kinsman.”
In this case, the line of defence would be “I have already dealt with the sin of this man, so the prosecution has no case to answer.”
LINK

John’s gospel speaks of the Holy Spirit as a “second advocate” (ch14).
The first advocate helps to defend us in God’s court, the second advocate helps to defend us in the court of the world.
He defends us by helping us to speak when we are accused; “When they deliver you up, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you” (Matthew ch10 vv19-20).
The Spirit will also defend us by “convicting” the world on the subjects of sin, righteousness, and judgement (John ch16 v6). This is the well-known legal technique of attacking the hostile witnesses.
LINK

But Christ himself is the final answer to both kinds of accusation.
The song of the twenty-four elders in Revelation gives praise to the Lamb because “thou wast slain and by thy blood didst ransom men for God.”
That is what makes him “worthy to take the scroll and open the seals” (Revelation ch5 v9).
When the seals are broken in the next chapter, we discover that the scroll contains the future history through which God overcomes the persecuting power, as described in the rest of Revelation.
In other words, the self-offering of the Lamb, saving us from judgement, completes the task by making it possible to save us from the tribulation.
In both senses, the power of the accuser has been “thrown down”.
In both cases, the adversary of the saints has been overcome “by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony.”
We enter the new Jerusalem, finally, because we have “an advocate in heaven”.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This thread was a late addition to the series.
I was re-writing a second post on the "ransom" thread, adding a reference to the "criminal court" metaphor, when I realised that this metaphor had not been covered in a separate thread.
So here we are.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Dude WHY did I never think of forgiveness that way......defeats an accuser....woah

Thank you sir

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY
You're welcome. (It only occupies a few references. I nearly forgot about it myself.)

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
In light of your post, Disraeli, I find it very interesting that in the Revelation, Chapter 20, Satan is removed just before the great judgments before and after his thousand years in the pit. The prosecutor's chair will be empty!

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short
That's right. Atonement works. The way is clear into the new Jerusalem.

edit on 28-10-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I don't need Christ. I put my faith directly in a God of unconditional love. God uses his omnipotent powers to forgive everyone and allow everyone to enter the gates of heaven to experience eternal heavenly bliss. People who do not accept this idea are just full of hate either seeking revenge or incapable of forgiving others. What difference does it matter anyway who gets to enter heaven. God is not limited in the number of people allowed to experience eternal heavenly bliss. It's all good. The good news is everyone is saved regardless of how you practiced, or not practiced, your religion. When you say certain magic words or phases is irrelevant. God's love has no conditions. God's love is unconditional.

edit on 29-10-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015
I haven't suggested at any point in this series that things are achieved by saying certain words or phrases.
In fact I remarked a couple of threads back "Of course James criticises those who merely say that they have faith (which is not the same thing)..."
The key point for the New Testament is the trust- "they believe IN...".

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Would Jesus be advocating Pharaoh of Egyptian who murdered thousand babies because he cant find Moses?
Would Jesus be advocating Adolf Hitler who permit holocaust involving 6 million Jews?
Would Jesus be advocating Judas Iscariot for his betrayal?
Would Jesus be advocating Genghiz Khan for raping, enslaving, plundering and murdering millions people during his worldwide conquest?

Would the victims even allow this unchecked?

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: EasternShadow
Would Jesus be advocating Pharaoh of Egyptian who murdered thousand babies because he cant find Moses?
Would Jesus be advocating Adolf Hitler who permit holocaust involving 6 million Jews?
Would Jesus be advocating Judas Iscariot for his betrayal?
Would Jesus be advocating Genghiz Khan for raping, enslaving, plundering and murdering millions people during his worldwide conquest?

Would the victims even allow this unchecked?

They'd just have to accept God through Jesus and ask to have their sins forgiven and they'd be all G.

Imagine going to heaven and finding Hitler there because he asked for it and God had forgiven him.
Wonder how Christians and Jews would feel about that?

Wonder if Heaven is filled with killers and rapists who repented?

Maybe one day this God will come speak for himself, kind of tired of all these humans who all seem to speak for him and all seem to have something different to say.

I try to be a good person, but if the Christian/Jewish God exists I am going to hell simply because no faith, while some nasty people will get in because of having it.
What a wonderful, forgiving, loving God that is.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: EasternShadow
I'm not qualified to judge individual cases.
I will only add that "we", for John's letters, means "those who believe in (i.e. trust in) Christ".
If you know which individuals fit that description (which is more than I know), then you know the answer.

edit on 29-10-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Or, we could do what is right and better.

Throw out the negative and flawed scripts given to us by those who love it this way so....

And get on with freedom without the Battles of all these confused and fallen "gods".

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I also left a couple of spaces for links with older threads, and neglected to write them in;

"If Satan is our accuser, then Christ is our defender, in the tribunal of God.
Jesus is called “our advocate in heaven” (1 John ch2 v1).
The old and new command

John’s gospel speaks of the Holy Spirit as a “second advocate” (ch14).
The Spirit will also defend us by “convicting” the world on the subjects of sin, righteousness, and judgement (John ch16 v6). This is the well-known legal technique of attacking the hostile witnesses.
The Spirit, the Advocate

edit on 29-10-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join