It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prayer.....your thoughts and God's success rate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
How many have prayed for something to come true? Lets take being sick for example. How many have prayed for a sickness to go away? How many have prayed for someone else's well being?

No matter what you have prayed for, i want to know how many times its come true. I am sure it hasnt been everytime. Am i right?

Why is it GOD only answers some prayers and leaves other ones inthe dark. How does he judge who gets their prayers answered and wat is GOD's "success rate"?

I wouldnt think he'd answer everyones prayer, would he? Why not? Who is more deserving than lets say me and you.

It seem most people notice the time a prayer gets answered and reject/forget the times it wasnt answered.

Your thoughts please....

[edit on 25-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
It is because in reality god can answer no prayers. If he got involved, we lose free will. I have free will, and I would never entertain it any other way. That is my reality.

In all honesty, it goes more like this for a christian. If god answers the prayer the way you want....yay for god. If the intended outcome is different, then that only means god answered the prayer in a different way. So in reality, what christians believe is that god will do what he is going to do regardless.

Tell me then, why bother praying? Are you a better god advisor than the next christian?

I will tell you, that I sometimes speak as if I am praying. The truth is though, it is more along the lines of talking to myself.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Our prayers come true, if they match with Gods will.

I often ask for the faith to do his will
The strength to avoid what isn't
and the wisdom to know the differance

And prayer does not need to addess a need, it could be a thanks too. but in all we should put all of our problems into is hands, and thank him for whenever they are taken care of.

Of course this is another one of those things that can never be proven or disproven to anyone's satisfaction

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Imagine if God suddenly answered all our prayers. Every1 would win the lottery. Just like in Bruce Almighty. We would be spoiled and never do anything for ourselves if God just did anything for us.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat

Not trying to criticize you, but you obviously believe in God, therefore is it our will or his. I think it is high time Christians came to a conclusion on this. God evidently has a will, and they also say we have free-will, so which is it in your opinion since you already stated that God will not grant prayer fullfillments if it isnt according to his agenda. What storyline are we living our lives by, ours or God's?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
Not trying to criticize you, but you obviously believe in God, therefore is it our will or his. I think it is high time Christians came to a conclusion on this. God evidently has a will, and they also say we have free-will, so which is it in your opinion since you already stated that God will not grant prayer fullfillments if it isnt according to his agenda. What storyline are we living our lives by, ours or God's?

THis is the kinda thing i wanted to hear from people. i think this is a very crucial point, made by ben91069. What is the point of prayer if God will only have it his way? If i wanted something and i prayed for it to happen and it doesnt fit in with gods will then why bother even asking when god has already in advance decided not to grant me wat i prayed for?

Again, why is it only some peoples prayers get answered and others arent?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I agree this is a rather hard thing to understand. But that is how the bible reads. God allows us to regect him, but also chooses who will be saved.

I can only use the Bible as a referance to support the predestination subject.
God in his grace for Christ's sake chose in eternity those who will be saved and predestined them to eternal life (2 Timothy 1:9, Ephesians 1:3-6, Romans 8:28-30, 2 Thessalonians 2:13, 1 Peter 1:2, Acts 13:48).

God, however, did not predestine anyone to eternal damnation--those who are lost have only themselves to blame (2 Timothy 1:9, 2 Peter 3:9, Ezekiel 33:11, Matthew 23:37, John 3:18-20).

Another thing about prayer, is who gets to decide if a prayer was fufilled, or ignored? I know of a family that thier 3 year old child fell from 30 feet. The child was in ICU for 4 days and every day the mother came and said "James let us pray" the child closed his eyes, folded his hands and with a weak voice said "yes" on the fifth day the mothers prayer was interrupted by the child saying "And please give us some doughnuts.. with sprinkles". 3 days later they were able to attend church and in the fellowship afterwards the child cried out "Look, NANA! DOUGHNUTS!"

are you going to tell me that boys prayer wasn't answered?

if anything it gives what every person needs in thier time of greatest need.. hope

[edit on 2/25/2005 by Jehosephat]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It involves your own beliefs, expectations and especially what you constantly have your attention on. That is what affects the outcome of a prayer. Prayer is independent of religion, because people from tons of different religions have been able to get results. The more succesful people know how to pray more effectively.

When you pray you must have no doubts come into your mind about the outcome. Have some doubts and your prayer is wasted. Constantly focusing on the situation you want to get rid of, also boycots your prayer.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Another thing about prayer, is who gets to decide if a prayer was fufilled, or ignored? I know of a family that thier 3 year old child fell from 30 feet. The child was in ICU for 4 days and every day the mother came and said "James let us pray" the child closed his eyes, folded his hands and with a weak voice said "yes" on the fifth day the mothers prayer was interrupted by the child saying "And please give us some doughnuts.. with sprinkles". 3 days later they were able to attend church and in the fellowship afterwards the child cried out "Look, NANA! DOUGHNUTS!"

are you going to tell me that boys prayer wasn't answered?

What about the times a child dies in the same situation. No one notices those times, now do they? The child you speak of had his prayers answered but wat about the boy who didnt get his prayer answered?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuDaCrIsWhat about the times a child dies in the same situation. No one notices those times, now do they? The child you speak of had his prayers answered but wat about the boy who didnt get his prayer answered?
That is when the other script is rolled out:

It was his time
He didn't believe hard enough
He was being punished
God called him home for a reason
God didn't like the request.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069

we are going by our own will but there are limitations to everything wether you believe it or not we do make our own problems and successes by our free-will descisions God just dont have to play by our rules and doesnt.
We are giving free -will to make descisions but are not given all of our wishes because then where would our free will be needed we would have everything and wouldnt need it anymore or God for that matter thats why there are guide lines

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I'm Catholic and have been trying to pray every night recently. One Sunday a few weeks ago, I was saying prayers of petition and for some odd reason added "for the sick." Up until then I had never added that. The next day in history, the school nurse comes in and announces that a student in my grade who had cancer would be returning after like five months.

Thats enough for me to say that God's doing good.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I believe prayer is a method that can be used to submit to God's will. If we submit to God and His will, then it really doesn't matter how God answers our prayers. Whichever way God answers our prayers, we should just believe and have faith that it is for the best (regardless of whether it seems that way at the moment). God is wiser than we are. God knows what is best. Allow Him to answer our prayers as He sees fit, not how we see fit.

I believe that this existence, this universe was created for the ultimate glory of God. Everything happens to bring about the ultimate glory of God and our salvation. Everything happens for a reason, with or without our consent or knowledge of it. We can either submit to God or not. Either way, the Lord Jesus Christ's will will be done.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
God will answer prayers when he is compelled to. Most pray, however, God already knows what one wants before the prayer.

Why answer some and why not answer? I think he has left that for us to figure out. I've prayed many times, and he hasn't answered. However, the one time I really called for him he answered. As they say-"The rest is histOry".

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Christians etc pray to "God", thats a fact I doubt anyone can deny.

My father died when I was 13, and very vulnerable. it has affected my life in many ways ever since. I was his 'princess' and we had a special bond.
When I "pray".....I "talk"......to my Dad.

About 3 weeks ago I was talking to him, just in general. I was going thru some family photos and noticed I didn't have a copy of a special photo all the family treasure so I said 'hey, can you pls find me a photo co i can enlarge it for the wall!' (i just speak to him like normal, smartass n'all lol). Yest, while clearing out 10 yr old accounts boxes from my mothers garage - what'dya know.....Amongst the papers and bills was an envelope, with the photo inside.

Prayer? It appears.....can work whether God is involved or not.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
God answers pray with yes, no and wait. Prayer changes us. Prayer is also a part of christianity because God is a personal God. He's not an impersonal force. He knows everyone by name and wants everyone to know Him.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Sometimes God and prayer is confused with a butler and an intercom.
Or is that most times?
Jesus taught us how to pray. Its not a strange thing to not know how.
This wasnt just a GP prayer , it was instruction.
Look at the basic parts of the Lords Prayer
Your will be done/what you want / not what I want
Feed us with your Love/Grace/Hope/ Word
Forgive us as we shall forgive others
Keep us from temptation/snares/traps
Deliver us

Effectively saying..we cannot do it on our own
All Glory is yours forever

So what does it mean when a prayer is not answered for a little kid with a terminal illness? Make it a point to ask God when you get there. Jesus loved the apostles greatly. They died in horrible ways. Jesus loves us all greatly...and it is given to us to die once...and then judgment.

To answer a non-believer about prayer is impossible. Why? Because I have hope!
All of your hope is here in this world! So what can I tell you? Read Ecclesiastes. That book is perfect for you. www.e-sword.net and get the ESV add on.
I cant get my self all worked up over this world. What will we get... 72 - 82 years on avg? Many on this board are half way to the jumpin off point.
Those without God have no hope. My hope is in the salvation of Christ. He rose, and will raise me.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Hell i dont believe in god, but my 'prayers' come true...

I used to be into Wicca, many of the spells i made cast came true...

Now i just visualise in my head or whisper it under my breath, or ask myself for it... alot of the time it happens...

And i dont believe in god and my succes rate is higher than most religios people i know... its called KARMA!

I do good by others, so the Cosmos does good by me. If its not Karma, its luck... god has nothing to do with it.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Actually jake97..is correct in prayer..

Our Father who art in Heaven,
hallowed be thy name,
Thy kingdom come ,
THY WILL BE DONE.........which means that God knows what we want....

Christ also said that living as a Christian will not be easy.......in fact, life will be very hard......''struggle'' and 'suffering' is part of being a Christian.....

Good and bad Karma is not a Christian concept......how wrong to think this!
How many innocent people are put in prison and for no fault of their own?
Is there justice in that?

A Prayer(meaning an expression of a request to a deity) can simply be given to us through other means .....eg
The occult is favouring one self ''I'' to our self indulgence rather then to our benefit in the long run....
It depends on what one wants to accomplish through prayer..... to satisfy a wordly need is basically only for ones own desire ....
eg Adam and Eve sinned because they only thought of themselves and being curious about 'knowledge and becoming like gods'' they didn't see the consequence of this curious knowledge....they violated God's one commandement ''do not eat''.....fasting the first commandment.
Because they violated this one commandment of God.....they brought death upon themselves .....

Does prayer work?
God gives only what is best for us.....not to our thinking, but for what will benefit us.
If one seeks God first then God knows what is good for us..

helen...

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Well, I would rate helen670's chances of fixing "the world's problems" much higher thaan George W Bush's chances or God's chances.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join