It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump says deadly Pittsburgh synagogue attack would have been different with armed guard

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

My brother build a solid body guitar out of koa. Then one night thought he was Peter Townsend. Sad. Really sad.

It's an expirement you don't know the results of until later sometimes.
And, damn, it's been going on for a long time.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: Phage

A Glock , welded by a Trained Shooter would have taken Out this Perp in a " Heart Beat " ..............Hmm..

Unlikely he fought off dozens of officers who were well trained in a gun fight. As much as people think they know how they would react in a situation reality tends to take a different route. This person started with the advantage he ambushed the congregation. Even an armed guard would have done little as that would have been the first person he killed.

He had the advantage because no one knew he was planning on killing people. My only advice in a situatuon l I'll like that make it difficult to get to you and if he tries fight with whatever you have. But arming people is not the solution. It just sometimes may work but its not solving why it occurs.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

A Glock , welded by a Trained Shooter would have taken Out this Perp in a " Heart Beat " ..............Hmm..

Unlikely he fought off dozens of officers who were well trained in a gun fight. As much as people think they know how they would react in a situation reality tends to take a different route. This person started with the advantage he ambushed the congregation. Even an armed guard would have done little as that would have been the first person he killed.

He had the advantage because no one knew he was planning on killing people. My only advice in a situatuon l I'll like that make it difficult to get to you and if he tries fight with whatever you have. But arming people is not the solution. It just sometimes may work but its not solving why it occurs.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Sad indeed. That's what basswood is for. It's only slightly heavier and just as ugly as balsawood

Have to sleep. Thanks for the chat. Always appreciate civility and thoughtfulness. Hope I didn't come across snippy, sometimes text doesn't really convey meaning properly.

I may be a lowly carpenter philosopher but I married a research scientist/professor so I can pretend really good on science issues as well. And because I focused on cosmology I had to actually take physics and astronomy though not anywhere near the degree as a hard science major.

I don't think arming rabbis is a very good solution to mental illness.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier
I've had the honor of knowing a few luthiers. My brother was a fine craftsman.

Sleep well.

edit on 10/28/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: chr0naut
2nd Amendment.

Personally, I think it's there because the Government couldn't afford to buy guns for the militia (National Guard) but they didn't get the wording quite right.

So we have a right to keep and bear weapons. Really hard to get around a codified right.

But only as part of a "well regulated militia". Just everyone carrying weapons goes far beyond the actual text of the ammendment.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: olaru12

I hope you are doing well too... but come on, man, think before you leap!

More than ever, we need civil, thoughtful discussion before someone starts mailing out real bombs.

TheRedneck

Are you the cooler head that will prevail, Mr. "Shoot anyone who looks at muh jim crow statue the wrong way" Redneck? Maybe you need to have a moment of reflection for yourself before scolding others on civility.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Just everyone carrying weapons goes far beyond the actual text of the ammendment.

Yes. What the militia is seems to be defined in Section 8 (which says that the Government is supposed to arm them, but...that can be expensive so lets amend that part)

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

edit on 10/28/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 02:23 AM
link   

a reply to: projectvxn

Oh. You want a real discussion. Not just a soapbox? Ok.

I don't think the answer is armed guards, or armed people...everywhere.

Not the answer but to an entirely different question.
The question is not what is preferable to you but how do you stop a shooter without another armed person?

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

The question is not what is preferable to you but how do you stop a shooter without another armed person?

They need a gun to shoot. Removing the availability of guns removes the possibility of them becoming a shooter.

Also, making it illegal to carry weapons for the general public does not disarm the police.

Should it be up to the general public to enforce law when they are not trained, funded or employed for that role?

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

The trick is to prevent it once started all you can try to do is limit the damage. So ehs5 could prevent it well we need to start taking mental health seriously. We closed all the psychiatric hospitals and most health insurance doesn't cover mental health. Time we start taking it more seriously. The other thing is these people don't live in a bubble others knew this guy was unstable. Problem is we have no way of dealing with people who are unstable.

Think about it if you were worried someone you knew might do something stupid who do you call? The police can't do anything until they commit a crime. You could contact the FBI if you suspect they may do something but they will want details. They used to be able to take them in for evaluations but now that option is gone.

And if a doctor thinks someone might be a threat to others they should be able to recommend they attend counseling. And also help because than we at least know who needs to be watched. But most important is people need to realize how important mental health is. I know there are people here that would say that psychology is a joke etc.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: crtrvt

You have a Jim Crow statue?

Nice... we don't.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Removing the availability of guns removes the possibility of them becoming a shooter.

Please explain how you intend to remove all guns from society?

There are millions of legal guns already in the US. Would you send the cops door to door to search every home? That still won't work; quite a few of those guns are well-hidden just in case.

Anyone with a machine shop can make a gun... all they need is the steel. Would you outlaw steel? Machine shops?

I keep hearing your argument... please explain your plan for accomplishing it.

Also, making it illegal to carry weapons for the general public does not disarm the police.

Then you haven't removed all guns from society. A gun can be stolen or taken off a dead body. How do you then remove them from existence?

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 04:05 AM
link   
If you put an armed guard at every corner it would certainly change things. For a start, people would be more nervous on the streets. The cost of doing it would be crazy. Criminals would just find another way to cause chaos.
Sadly you can't protect everrybody, every second of the day.

Whatever the answer is, it's not doing this.

Prayers to those involved in this terrible shooting.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   

I got a late start as a parent and had a lot of time to observe my contemporaries. Often some of the people who seemed like they would be the best parents had horrible children. Some who seemed to be horrible parents had amazing little humans.

There is a world of difference between seeming to be a good parent and being a good parent.

I suggest you follow one simple rule: if you want to know what kind of person someone really is, look at their children.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

So when the chips are down and there's an attack happening how do you propose it gets handled?

Call the 'good' guys with gunz, except their racist and like to shoot black people.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I think that guns (and some classes of guns, in particular) should not be quite so readily available. They make it too easy. Yeah, 2nd amendment. I know. That make it problematic.

They make it too easy?

Try reading current gun laws.

Begin with the 1934 National Firearms act.

And end with Clintons Brady Handgun Prevention act of 1993. That created the unconstitutional background check.

Oddly it never existed for almost two centuries.

Besides.

Murder is illegal.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I had to stop reading this thread.

It was making me angry.

Gun Control.

Taking the gunz and ignoring due process since FDR.

What NAZI's do.

Straight out authoritarianism.

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

As well some insurance providers required armed security before they will write a liability policy for churches. This has been going on now not a Trump original idea. And its an idea thats highly supported.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join