It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Megyn Kelly, another one bites the dust

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Here is the thing:

Society changes, many forms of entertainment have changed. At one time, it was illegal to sing. At one time it was considered a crime to celebrate Christmas. At one time a woman performing on a stage was illegal and would result in imprisonment. Even looking at older movies, minorities were often done by white people. Look at John Wayne, in The Conqueror.

For years, no one would have seen a person who was of African doing entertainment, hence the black face. Minstrel shows were all of the rage.

But times changes, and such is no longer acceptable. And with good reason, as it often shows more of type, and often not in a good light.

But beyond that, what I would like to know, is what about her staff? The people, who do the research, assist in writing, the editor, the producers, all of that who knew about this in advanced, where were they and why did no one stop and say this is a bad idea? Why is there is there no mention of them being punished, demoted, or even terminated?

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
Here is the thing:

Society changes, many forms of entertainment have changed. At one time, it was illegal to sing. At one time it was considered a crime to celebrate Christmas. At one time a woman performing on a stage was illegal and would result in imprisonment.

You're comparing a newfound restriction based on little more than society prudishness with a sequence of abandoned restrictions which were, in their time, based on societal prudishness.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
In the year 2018, it blows my mind that anybody who is younger than 107 wouldn't realize that blackface is inherently offensive.

Blackface goes back to the days of Vaudeville, maybe ever further. And really, it's always been racist. The whole idea is that a white guy (or girl) was pretending to be a negro.

So was it offensive when some of the Wayon Brothers played white girls in a movie? #whiteface

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
If the Left and the Right dislike her equally...she must be doing something right.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

Sarah Silverman is still working.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Al Jolson was an American singer, comedian, and stage and film actor. At the peak of his career, he was dubbed "The World's Greatest Entertainer" . . . Singers who were influenced by him include Bing Crosby, David Bowie, George Burns, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan, and Rod Stewart.

Jolson has been called "the king of blackface" performers, a theatrical convention since the mid-19th century. With his dynamic style of singing black music, such as jazz and blues, he became widely successful by extracting African-American music and popularizing it for white American audiences who were otherwise not receptive to the originators. Alongside his promotion and perpetuation of anti-black stereotypes, his work was sometimes well-regarded by black publications and he has sometimes been credited for fighting against black discrimination on Broadway,

Black face wasn't his only gig, the song "Mammy" was his most well known black face performance. Apparently this was more in the line of a tribute to African Americans.

Megyn Kelly should have been talking about Al as his performances were actually considered anti-discrimination by many of the African Americans of his day.

Of course that probably wouldn't have saved her because he was born in RUSSIA!
edit on 26-10-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I personally do not see why someone putting black on their face or mentioning blackface should be thrashed. I put black all over my face when I was trick or treating when I was young at least one time. I heard people talk about black people and some called some of them neegers in the past. Even on TV in the sixties and seventies they used the word neeger

I think that all this politically correct stuff has turned bonkers. I would bet the people who are politically correct are the worst abusers of this stuff there is. They use these words in everyday conversations, they do not talk about people using the n-word, they say the real word when explaining what someone said wrong.

It does not matter what color jerks are, they are still jerks.
edit on 26-10-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

The final straw for Kelly on the NBC show came on Tuesday when, during a round-table discussion, she seemingly defended "blackface" and "white face" for Halloween because it was "OK when I was a kid as long as you were dressing like a character.”

stupid reason to get fired.

unreal there are off limits halloween costumes.

you can go as slutty bleeding out of the head nurse or cheerleader. nun

you can go as all sorts of ghoulish #

but you better not paint your face black

hahahahahahahhahaha

#ing stupid

#quatoof

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

In the year 2018, it blows my mind that anybody who is younger than 107 wouldn't realize that blackface is inherently offensive.

Blackface goes back to the days of Vaudeville, maybe ever further. And really, it's always been racist. The whole idea is that a white guy (or girl) was pretending to be a negro.

So was it offensive when some of the Wayon Brothers played white girls in a movie? #whiteface

C' mon don't be silly. Only white people can be racist.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Yep, good ol' foot in the mouth disease.

Can we all agree that Megan Kellys career skyrocketed when Trump put HIS foot in his mouth. She was EVERYWHERE after that.

It appears that sometimes there is a built-in incentive to f-ing up royally. I think the idea that these peoples lives are torn apart is largely an illusion. Sometimes saying the blatantly wrong thing could jolt you right back into the limelight.

All press is good press?

edit on 26-10-2018 by MarkOfTheV because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I’m gonna paint my face black for Halloween and just go as a racist. The fact that this issue is resulting in outcomes at this level is absurd.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
I’m gonna paint my face black for Halloween and just go as a racist. The fact that this issue is resulting in outcomes at this level is absurd.

pfffffft just identify as being black! I mean can't we all pretend to be what we are not?

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

It is not a newfound restriction, I am pointing out that this kind of idea, where what is and is not acceptable has been around for years.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Yeah, I'll be happy to get fired and get 50mil.
Any day of the week.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

dailycaller.com...

TRUE...Kimmel, Silverman and Fallon ALL wore blackface, but...
leftist, white comedians are allowed to be racist...because it's COMEDY...and freedom of expression.

If Roseanne was a leftist...and she'd made fun of a black conservative...she'd still be working today.

edit on 26-10-2018 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Bless your heart. You don't realize that Silverman is wearing a peel-off charcoal facial mask?

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Yeah what kind of idiot doesn't realize this is offensive? She's that dumb, she doesn't deserve to be talking about the news and current events.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: icanteven
a reply to: IAMTAT

Bless your heart. You don't realize that Silverman is wearing a peel-off charcoal facial mask?

Bless you too.

...so you enjoyed the part in her show where she puts it on her face...goes into a black church to sing gospel music...and says "I'm BLACK today"?
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

foot in the mouth is fatal to your job anyway

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join