It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memes may contribute to teenage obesity, lawmakers told

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Yes... ideally... we should be teaching these kids some sense.

But we/they have been saying that for how many years?

I have two close relatives that are High School teachers. Having a social media presence and being up on all of that meme viral $h1t isn't just encouraged by the powers that be, it's practically required. So while "adults" awareness of this world might be a positive from a certain angle, I do think it's working in the wrong direction. These teachers are just as into meme culture as the kids. I've seen that first hand and it's shines a different light on how these things are effecting society.

Education and social media (where memes are spread) should not be intermingled. That's probably a thread in and of itself.

DERAIL ALERT!

I think maybe like, we all need to have an agreement, that all memes should be taken as either a joke that tells a story much clearer and cleaner than writing it through the use of culturally familiar imagery and symbolism, or a piece of unverified blatant propaganda. And we should also teach that whole, "propaganda bad... truth good", thing.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Not only do I consider myself a prolific meme'r, but I'm in tip-top physical and mental shape.

Let's be real, they only hate memes because they can't meme themselves. It's actually painful watching the left try to meme.

Which makes a lot of sense when you realize memeing requires the ability to recognize nuance and subtlety -- something most lefties severely lack.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV

Yes... ideally... we should be teaching these kids some sense.

But we/they have been saying that for how many years?

I have two close relatives that are High School teachers. Having a social media presence and being up on all of that meme viral $h1t isn't just encouraged by the powers that be, it's practically required. So while "adults" awareness of this world might be a positive from a certain angle, I do think it's working in the wrong direction. These teachers are just as into meme culture as the kids. I've seen that first hand and it's shines a different light on how these things are effecting society.

Education and social media (where memes are spread) should not be intermingled. That's probably a thread in and of itself.

DERAIL ALERT!

I think maybe like, we all need to have an agreement, that all memes should be taken as either a joke that tells a story much clearer and cleaner than writing it through the use of culturally familiar imagery and symbolism, or a piece of unverified blatant propaganda. And we should also teach that whole, "propaganda bad... truth good", thing.

Doesn't comedy make us laugh because it used to be able to share uncomfortable truths? Now look at comedy in this world. Many comedians outright refuse to do comedy at a college campus because they know they will offend someone! I love comedy! I make fun of myself and things I have done all the time. So why the shift of being offended as a right versus how it used to be as in if it offended you, you just moved along and refused to participate or listen?

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Can you hear some obesity counselor:

"Oh, honey, you're not fat because you eat too much and the wrong stuff and aren't active enough. It's because you read memes. Yes, too many lolcatz."

edit on 26-10-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I can see where something like this would make a kid fat.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Remember the days Garfield and Lasagne?

Would that be allowed today?

Lasagne spelt with an "e" shows an error - Lasagna

"Spelt" shows an error as well. I don't get the grammar of this website. Ow wait - its American - that explains it.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Memes represent dissent and irreverence.
That’s why globalist structures like the EU (and their bootlickers) despise them, and will try to dream up all sorts of BS reasons to kill the idea.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof

Memeing requires thinking outside the box, a broad mind, and creativity. Traits of the free man!

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Text researchers from Loughborough University wrote in a letter sent to a British parliamentary committee.[/I]

At some point it's time to look in the funding of said researchers with the possible notion that they just don't have enough legitimate work to do.

Memes are supposed to be FUN!

Of course CNN ran with the idea cause in some backroom cube farm some lackey came across this. CNN needed an article to fill space, this one also would rile up a bunch of people so it's a total two-fer!! CNN also doesn't do a lot of digging on original sources, pretty sure that's our job on ATS, so...

About these researchers again?
(Tapping foot)
Additionally since WHEN does Parliament get to decide what we see on the Internet? Especially things that aren't criminal or breaking any laws?

A case for learning via the visual cortex, avoiding most critical thinking skills could be made, but the same could be said about billboards, or commercials.

Memes that I've seen seem to run in cycles and are regional as well. Some get a lot of play then you have a devil of a time resurrecting them from say, 10 yrs ago. They are also educational. Ever see the DYI fails???? Yeah, don't be THAT person! Not everyone learns thru positive reinforcement, sometimes you need to learn the hard way, Meme's fill that niche.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Memes can ONLY work if they’re true. Being true is what makes them funny. Especially when is VERY obvious that not only are they true but they’re destroying somebody’s cognitive dissonance as well.

The left lies, the left has a child’s views of the world, the left projects (BIG TIME) and the left values emotion over fact.

Hence. The left can’t meme.

It seems they can’t false-flag either
edit on 27 10 2018 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Memes carry dangerous health-related messages and make light of unhealthy eating habits, researchers from Loughborough University wrote in a letter sent to a British parliamentary committee. "A substantial number of individuals on Twitter share health-related Internet memes, with both positive and negative messages," they wrote, noting that many "contain inappropriate material."

Clearly the memes are having an effect on the globalists/elites and now are using propaganda to even go further to this point its rather hilarious.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join