It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The killer of the Electric car...wants a national mandate now!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Interesting topic but despite what they did back then the technology HAS continued to progress, battery technology has increased thank's mainly to the mobile phone market.

Superconductor research which will be the next TRUE leap forward for all electronic's allowing them to run far more efficiently and also heralding the potential for massive reductions in power related greenhouse gas emission's have also come a long way but are not yet room temperature and cheaply available which is really where they need to be before there introduction into infrastructure and consumer electronic's become's viable and cost effective.

However electric vehicle engine technology has also progressed but perhaps at a slightly more sedate pace than it may have in the states since most of it beyond Tesla etc has been conducted by European and Asian researchers though how much of a difference to were the US car market that would have made is probably negligible.

Certainly though there action may have put a stop to early electric public transport and consumer vehicles as well as potentially an early uptake of electric and hybrid freight truck's at least within those states of your nation that would have been early adopters.

But remember this those same company's are sitting on patent's often shall we say obtained through muscling there creators that would have had your car's running on a fraction of the gas you now use and also much cleaner in there emission's, some of those patent's they bought up to prevent them being developed go back to the 60's and a lot to the 70's when the oil crisis spurred on a generation of inventors to innovate way's to improve fuel efficiency.

So really speaking there near halting of the electric car industry was one of the least of the oil and automotive conglomerates and syndicates crimes which not only affected the US but indeed the entire world.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: Blue Shift
Where are those minerals mined? Just spent 20 minutes searching on that and came up empty handed! Very frustrating!

I just typed in "lithium mine environmental impact" and this popped up:
LITHIUM MINING POLLUTION

If I was a conspiracy nut, I would say that you don't hear about it too much because electric cars make their owners feel like they're really helping the Earth, man. That's right, liberal media!

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
And i say that if GM had not killed it....that the proces would have evolved just as it has since 2007. I mean cell phones and laptop batteries didnt just stop evolving. GM set back EV's 20 years.

a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Compare that to oil spills all over the world? Which is worse? Hmmmmmm.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Once North Korea is brought into "the fold" plenty of those minerals to go around - who will give a damn about the people.
( sarcasm )

qz.com...

Below the nation’s mostly mountainous surface are vast mineral reserves, including iron, gold, magnesite, zinc, copper, limestone, molybdenum, graphite, and more—all told about 200 kinds of minerals. Also present are large amounts of rare earth metals, which factories in nearby countries need to make smartphones and other high-tech products.

Estimates as to the value of the nation’s mineral resources have varied greatly over the years, made difficult by secrecy and lack of access. North Korea itself has made what are likely exaggerated claims about them. According to one estimate from a South Korean state-owned mining company, they’re worth over $6 trillion. Another from a South Korean research institute puts the amount closer to $10 trillion.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
So whats your plan? Continue to pollute with oil?

a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Compare that to oil spills all over the world? Which is worse? Hmmmmmm.

Why does it have to be a choice?

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo

No its not that simple

Goes back 100 years.

But you've probably don't believe in secret cartels either.

www.reformation.org...

In 1908, Henry Ford began mass production of the infamous gasoline air polluting car known as the Model T. Most people in the U.S. believed that automobiles would be powered by the newly developed wonder of ELECTRICITY. What most people did not realize was that the Ford Motor Company was a SUBSIDIARY of the Rockefeller owned Standard Oil Company.

When the other car companies saw the vast profits that Ford was making on his gasoline powered Model T, they abandoned the electric car, and began to produce their own air polluting cars.

In the early 20th century, National City Lines, which was a partnership of General Motors, Firestone, and Standard Oil of California, purchased many electric tram networks across the country to dismantle them and replace them with GM buses. The partnership was convicted for this conspiracy, but the ruling was overturned in a higher court. Electric tram line technologies could be used to recharge BEVs and PHEVs on the highway while the user drives, providing virtually unrestricted driving range.

"Mr. Electric" Thomas Edison ENCOURAGED Ford to produce gasoline powered vehicles!!

Thomas Alva Edison is a revered icon in the U.S. and around the world. Many credit him with developing electricity and lighting up the world. He was just another Rockefeller shill and Nikola Tesla was the man who electrified the world—not Thomas Edison.

Edison—acting under order from his boss Rockefeller—encouraged Henry Ford in the development of the gasoline engine. As a matter of fact, Edison and Ford were very good friends for all of their adult lives.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Ok then. Lets hear your solution?

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Take you basic $100 pancake air compressor and replace the pancake with a long tube tank. Now instead of plugging in that compressor, use a 40V Lithium Ion battery like many yard tools and push mowers use. Carry spare charged batteries for a longer trip. Lighter and cheaper than say a Prius battery or the Volt in GM’s case.

Rather than the gas/electric hybrid motor in the Prius or all electric of the Volt, use a compressed air rotary engine similar to the gas rotary engine found in some Mazda cars. Easier technology, lighter and less expensive to maintain or repair (replacing the 40V battery)

The air tank should last for about 50-100 miles before the compressor needs to come on to refill. So 3-4 batteries should be good for 8-10 hours drive time or roughly 400-500 miles before recharging.

You could go with lead acid batteries, which are more standard to cars, but freezing temps can discharge them and recharge cycles killing the lifespan would mean replacing them at least once a year. Even all electric riding mowers last 1.5-2 hours on lead acid batteries n a single charge.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

That has always been the big thing for me, (I will ignore the problem as mentioned already for people living in rural areas and at least in the US the poor shape the electrical grid is in) But the sheer hypocrisy of the electric car people saying its better for the environment, ignoring the toxic nature of the batteries as they stand right now.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

At least with the old way you siphon out petrol and have a molotov to defend yourself.

And waste pefectly good petrol?

I think NOT!

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Thats not what I'm implying. I'm saying there are consequences for everything.

Dictators that are placed there by western governments are replaced when needed. Case in point Saddam Hussein.

Just like Nike or Apple depend on cheap Chinese labour there are human costs involved that the west overlooks in cognitive dissonance for convenience and "affordable pricing"

If it wasn't for the hegemony of the Petrodollar the US would have a far lower standard of living.

There are consequences to actions.

The same people who controlled the last century will not let go that easily.

as LABTECH767 pointed out Patents that never see the light of day.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Ok then. Lets hear your solution?

Hydrogen.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

I support solar over nuclear.

Nuclear power should be done away with.

I will probably never change that viewpoint.

Humans are children. Nuclear energy is matches.

We can hold matches. We can juggle them. We can share them. We can even chew on the stick part. They don't hurt us. But one day we might strike one. That doesn't mean we will be hurt. We can hold a lit match without being hurt... For a little while. They are only a problem, until the match catches something else... Then very quickly, we have a problem that we are not equipped for.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   
See that wasnt hard....and a great ides. The thing is hydrogen is almighty powerful so i am not sure a conventional engine would wirk i made a hyrogen generator for my car and it actually got a 15% increase in mileage. I gets super hot though.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Another simple idea for fuel and conventional Diesel engines would be hemp seed oil. Refining process is crush the seeds and filter out the hulls of the seed, pour right into the tank. You will need to add soething in colder climates to keep the oil from gelling up, which is done to diesel today.

The US is more than capable of growing the supply for yearly demand, would just need to have the proper lead time of say a year or two to grow, process and transport before converting.

Downside is that familiar oil companies would then be giving money to American farmers. And some people would not like that very much.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I did a straight veggie oil conversion on a ford diesel pickup. It ran good but the filters and injectors seemed to hate it. Would hemp oil solve that?

reply to: Ahabstar

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

I can hold a lit match with my fingers until it´s completely burned down from top to bottom without hurting, since being a kid.

But dumb anecdotes aside, yes I agree, the ultimate goal needs to be to get away from nuclear energy, but it won´t and can´t happen over night.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Take you basic $100 pancake air compressor and replace the pancake with a long tube tank. Now instead of plugging in that compressor, use a 40V Lithium Ion battery like many yard tools and push mowers use. Carry spare charged batteries for a longer trip. Lighter and cheaper than say a Prius battery or the Volt in GM’s case.

Rather than the gas/electric hybrid motor in the Prius or all electric of the Volt, use a compressed air rotary engine similar to the gas rotary engine found in some Mazda cars. Easier technology, lighter and less expensive to maintain or repair (replacing the 40V battery)

The air tank should last for about 50-100 miles before the compressor needs to come on to refill. So 3-4 batteries should be good for 8-10 hours drive time or roughly 400-500 miles before recharging.

You could go with lead acid batteries, which are more standard to cars, but freezing temps can discharge them and recharge cycles killing the lifespan would mean replacing them at least once a year. Even all electric riding mowers last 1.5-2 hours on lead acid batteries n a single charge.

Wouldn’t work you’d need too many CFMs to run an air turbine that could power a car and once again every extra step in the chain loses efficiency so if you have to use an electric motor to compress air you lose energy to heat and friction, so direct drive electric is the most efficient electric drive.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join