It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The killer of the Electric car...wants a national mandate now!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Where are those minerals mined? Just spent 20 minutes searching on that and came up empty handed! Very frustrating!

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: cognizant420

^----- this. This is exactly what I mean.

Please ask yourself how the energy you draw from your mains is generated. If it´s gas, coal or oil your EV has a worse energy footprint than the super plus+ guzzling RB26DET that is offended by being compared to a M5. But that was another user

(post by JasonBillung removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Not only that, the efficiency is the same situation with EVs.

If your local fossil fuel power plant has to generate the energy and transfer it with losses to your socket, for you to transfer it with even more losses into your energy storage inside your EV....

...you can just as well use a gas guzzling sports car for grocery shopping.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Seriously? Lol

I would like to see a for real research project on the gains an EV would have on a diesel over a 15 year period. I think battery tech is going to go nuts. Dyson is going all out on a new battery tech. If anyone can do it...its that dude.

a reply to: verschickter

Lol Dyson is just a marketing wank master and he’s certainly not making any big advancements in battery tech they don’t even make their own cells they’re just using standard Lithium cells from the big cell makers.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
That all being said, # you, GM and all the other greedy ones that buy up patents and technology just to make them disappear in some drawer.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Good movie btw. a reply to: lakenheath24

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Why electric vehicles? Why not a compressed air rotary engine and you can refill your tank with...an electric air compressor powered by a rechargeable battery?

If you’re going to use electric power using it direct is most Effie ent.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
Reasoning, why now?

Should have replaced fossil fuels long ago, but no thanks to GM. There's a reason somewhere and it's probably profit related

Yeah the reason is simple. The tech was not ready 20 years ago.

Now it is at high production volumes.

This is not a grand conspiracy, it's that simple.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Like your own home maybe? I agree on your POV sentiment. But for commercial or city commutes I think its worth the investment.
To be honest....there are zero things that do not have unintended consequences.

1 million Aussies with renewable battery powered homes.
topdocumentaryfilms.com... reply to: verschickter

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
He is doing something about it....you.....not so much.

a reply to: BigDave-AR

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
More like the tech got squashed....then hidden away. GM bought up all the battery producers then closed their doors. The tech could have progressed back then just as well as now.

a reply to: proximo

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Check out the smart street.

futurism.com...

We could pay fat people to walk around. I would make a fortune. Lol

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

I use two different PV systems myself, one powers my hydro cultures in the greenhouse (heating, pumps, timers) and one serves the grid.

The one that serves the grid is big enough to sustain my energy consume over the complete year, if I´d invest in a storage solution and cancel my contract.

But since I get twice the amount of money for generating, I´d be dumb financially if I´d use that and not pull it through the mains meter. So basically I produce my own power locally, use it but get also paid for it. Nice, isn´t it?

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

And they would get fit, too!

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Electricity comes from Electric plants which burn coal, gas, oil, or perhaps nuclear. Why is the electric car considered to be the great savior ? If we run our homes, businesses, and cars with the mega electric plants, are we not simply trading one form of polluter for another ? Did they really kill the electric car or was technology just not there yet ? California doesn't make mandates, they need to learn they are subservient to the Fed

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

Regardless why GM killed it back then.. If you look up how small the fraction of renewable energy sources was in almost any country, the battery tech (Li-Ion was there, had a sony camcorder in 1996 or 1998 with a Li-Ion) and other technologic advencements in structural chassi design (and so on), no it was neither doable, nor feasable.

PV only really got attractive since around 2007+, because of prices and also efficiency, for example. A relative of mine was about to build a 0.5 MW windmill in 1996-2000 from Enercon in tandem with another relative. I still remember the bureaucratic hurdles. Designated areas for wind power were basically not existant. Then after they took their measurements and had a designated area, the land and all that almost nailed down, the town residents mobilized.

Today in 2018, at the same place, there are three windmills and if I rotate on the nearest hill 360°, I can count over 40 (!!!) windmills with my bare eyes. Just to give you a perspective how things changed over time.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Actually I believe GM was right in 1990. This is now and it's quite different.

Electric vehicles have only recently become affordable or logical.

As was mentioned in the text below the documentary, electric vehicles had a short range and were too expensive. A mandate then would have made zero sense at all. It barely makes sense now.

Just running errands for work around town here would require recharging too often to make it economically feasible and that's just doing stuff inside this medium sized city.

They are appropriate now for people who never travel and drive very few miles or can afford to have two vehicles, one electric one gas or diesel.

Any mandates need to take into consideration how many charging stations are available when needed, how fast they can be charged and also take into account people in rural area's, for whom electric is just not doable yet as they are now.

Nobody killed the electric car, it killed itself due to battery limitations and cost.

Exactly. Only in the last couple of years have electric vehicles become technologically practical. They're still not really economically practical. Tesla finally managed to be profitable last quarter, but they're burning thru their backlog pretty quickly, and before long they're going to be struggling to sell the Model 3, which will make them unprofitable again.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
As it stands electric is completely unworkable for what we would need as a family.

We're a commuter family. My drive is 34 miles and husband drives no less than 50 minutes one way (not sure miles). Electric wouldn't work well for us.

Then there would be the issue of traveling to see family. It would turn a one day trip into a two day affair with recharging time.

As it stands, the best we could do it have one regular vehicle and one electric runabout for close-in errands, but then one of us would have trouble working.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

It'd make the perfect prepper/SHTF/Apocalypse vehicle.

So you are going to ask the enemy to hold onto electrodes while you zap them?

At least with the old way you siphon out petrol and have a molotov to defend yourself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join