It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The last Prince of France killed by Zulus.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Napoleon, Prince Imperial of France was killed by a regiment of Zulu warriors.

en.wikipedia.org...

Napoléon, Prince Imperial (full name: Napoléon Eugène Louis Jean Joseph Bonaparte, prince impérial; 16 March 1856 – 1 June 1879), also known as Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte, was the only child of Emperor Napoleon III and his Empress consort, Eugénie de Montijo. After his father was dethroned in 1870, he relocated with his family to England. On his father's death in January 1873, he was proclaimed by the Bonapartist faction as Napoleon IV, Emperor of the French.

In England, he trained as a soldier. Keen to see action, he successfully put pressure on the British to allow him to participate in the Anglo-Zulu War. In 1879, serving with British forces, he was killed in a skirmish with a group of Zulus. His early death sent shockwaves throughout Europe, as he was the last serious dynastic hope for the restoration of the House of Bonaparte to the throne of France.
Wiki source above.
edit on 26-10-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
What actually happened:

Actually he wasn't supposed to be with British troops at all, but since he went to their military school he wanted to see "action". First it was refused, but strings were pulled on his own insistence. Eventually he could enlist but not wear any insignia. British troops were instructed to look after him and protect him like a pearl. But he insisted going into Zululand at the time. Then he demanded to have tea at an empty kraal. Everybody else was freaking. And obviously the Zulus came. The three or four other dudes got on their horses and fled, but his bridle broke, and he died from 15 stab-wounds, and they opened his belly. When the badly preserved body arrived in Europe it made everybody vomit. The Zulus said it was a pity, had he worn royal colors they would have exchanged him as a hostage, and treated him like a Prince.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Brilliant men who had to look after somebody, who didn't want looking after at all.

Your worst nightmare is a soldier who doesn't want to be there.

Your even bigger nightmare is a soldier who's so keen - where's my gun Sarge?

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
He almost ruined the careers of men, who had to protect him.

I think they were unfairly dismissed, but they were all eventually reinstated.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Turns out modernism and France did not need him after-all.

But did I mention, when they opened the badly kept body, it had fifteen spear wounds, and the Zulus opened his stomach (actually a courtesy to set the soul of your opponent free).

And thus is the tale of Prince Napoleon.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Your worst military nightmare: you must take care of him.

Soldiers into Zululand!

Dismount, drink tea.

This is not the best place to drink tea.

Sir, the enemy is upon us.

Nonsense, everything's fine, nice weather, negative British officers like you should be flogged.

OK, cheers!

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
What actually happened:

The Zulus said it was a pity, had he worn royal colors they would have exchanged him as a hostage, and treated him like a Prince.

That bit made me smile

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Were you embedded with your bro's but not enlisted?

Who can tell?

But that was a very, very long time ago.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Something here doesn't add up.................... Surely the british would have kept the prince alive and tried to get him back into France the time allowed. The republic was not a good idea to the monarchys of Europe back then

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman
Part of the problem was that he was technically under orders in that party, because one of his companions had higher military rank, but he tended to assume the lead because of his "imperial" status. So the party hung around in a dangerous situation longer than they should have done. After his death, the officer technically in command was the one who got into trouble.

Incidentally, he was only the last prince of the Napoleonic dynasty. Other French royal dynasties are available.

edit on 26-10-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
For those who don't know a kraal is a Zulu village.

Interesting story, oddly never heard of it.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

His mother was quite an interesting person!
en.wikipedia.org...

And she visited the Dolmabahçe Palace in Constantinople, (Istanbul).
en.wikipedia.org...

One of the most beautiful palaces I've ever witnessed and far more impressive than Topkapi.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Zulu dance:

It displeases me to see so many brides who may soon become widows.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS
Yes, I once read a book about her morbid journey to visit the place where it happened (which is where my knowledge of the background story comes from).
I've been reading through my volumes of Victorian Punch, which include the period of her time as Empress, and Punch is always blaming her for the fact that European women, including English women, were addicted to foolish and/or expensive fashions like the crinoline.

edit on 26-10-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Crinoline: particularly stupid.
en.wikipedia.org...

The things people will do for fashion.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Suggestion don't smoke when "undressing" these women

en.wikipedia.org...

They were also hazardous if worn without due care. Thousands of women died in the mid-19th century as a result of their hooped skirts catching fire

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

His mother's name is terribly Spaniard...so many names and way too long.

LoL.

Interesting story OP. Never heard it in such detail.

The guy was very much meant to die before his rule.

An elaborate Tea break and war?!. Actually stopping for tea while on a search and destroy patrol....in a quiet enemy village.

Yeah. Idiot.
edit on 10 26 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman
There was never much chance that he would reign.
His father lost his Empire by losing the war of 1870 with Germany.
The new republic was already fairly stable.
If the French ever decided they wanted a crown back, there were two other more tradtitional claims (the original royal family and the branch which had briefly held the throne under Louis Philippe).

top topics

join