It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Arrests Man in Connection to Pipe Bombs

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: More1ThanAny1

Who published that picture.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Somewhat ambiguous, this can read to say that in addition to the clock, a battery was also part of the assembly. A 9v battery perhaps?

Perhaps omitted from the images. Perhaps not. I have never doubted the possibility that the devices could have been intentional dummies, or otherwise ineffective. I have doubted the ability for anyone (experts included) to come to any conclusions about them based solely on the images that have been released, and will continue to do so.

Even if a 9V battery (which could have been sufficient) were omitted from the pictures, it would have needed some sort of switch to energize the wire... likely a relay (although a large MOSFET could be used). I saw nothing to even indicate that something used to be connected, as, like I said, the connection would require surgery on the clock module and would be apparent from any angle.

Also, the size of the wire, which can be estimated from the x-ray pics, is far too large even for a 9V battery to overheat. It would take something like a motorcycle battery to flash wires that large.

I don't think a motorcycle battery would fit in the envelope.

On second thought, ditch the relay and MOSFET... 3V is insufficient to turn on a high enough power MOSFET by itself. It would have to have a logic-level MOSFET driver (amplification stage) just to energize them.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

A 9v battery would show as a giant cuboid with two prominent leads coming from them in an x-ray.

Yes it would.

Why would the FBI publish images on how to build a complete bomb?

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

Yes. Research engineer.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I was going to argue the host of ways this could be done, and the ways it could be done wrong.

I thought about it, and there's no point any of us need to get into detail on the hows since it's speculation anyways. But everyone knows there's more than one way to skin a cat, and there are plenty of cheap available items people with the know how have access to.

At the end of the day, legally he'll likely be charged the same. A threat with a fake gun still gets charged like it's real.

Whether or not his compitence wasn't their doesn't take away from intent.
edit on 26-10-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
NSA has some new entries in it's bomb maker database.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

CNN of course, they leaked everything. They are slowly wiping that image from the net though, and replacing it with the other x-ray leaks.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

The images and x-rays were all leaked by media. FBI doesn't release images like that during an investigation.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

The x-ray sections of the clock seem pretty transparent, actually (oddly?). But the clock doesn't really make sense as a triggering device at all. Unless he didn't care who he blew up.

But there could well be aspects to the devices which we are not privy to. Don't rule it out.
edit on 10/26/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

The images and x-rays were all leaked by media.

False. They were distributed by the media, but not leaked.
edit on 10/26/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I agree. I think it's interesting how the media and FBI types keep saying it would be difficult to build when really we know it isn't but thankfully these sorts of crazies typically can't get it together long enough to get it right before they blow themselves up. He didn't even get that far but he still deserves jail time because of intent.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: oloufo

Science is not terror, nor is it paranoia.

TheRedneck

Well, science and inventions using science theory or laws of nature is used for terror by some very sinister people. That would mean being paranoid of someone hurting you when they are about to, isn't all that bad. It is ok to live today and see tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Gotta love the van they found with fresh brand new Pro Trump stickers. I smell false flag all over this one.

link   
We have xrays of two different devices.

NBC:

An X-ray image of one of the pipe bombs addressed to CNN and prominent critics of President Donald Trump provided by law enforcement officials briefed on the case.NBC News

"...one of the pipe bombs addressed to CNN..." makes it seem like CNN was targeted with multiple devices.

Here is a picture from ABC New York:

This looks like a different device than the one shown in the NBC article.

link   

originally posted by: Phage
This is more what I'm getting at:

Each of the 13 IEDs was largely similar in design and construction; they each consisted of approximately six
inches of PVC pipe, a small clock, a battery, wiring, and energetic material.
www.documentcloud.org...

Somewhat ambiguous, this can read to say that in addition to the clock, a battery was also part of the assembly. A 9v battery perhaps?

Perhaps omitted from the images. Perhaps not. I have never doubted the possibility that the devices could have been intentional dummies, or otherwise ineffective. I have doubted the ability for anyone (experts included) to come to any conclusions about them based solely on the images that have been released, and will continue to do so.

Perhaps we will get more details about the devices, but I doubt it. For good reason.

Damn you Phage! once again you created a thought point;

The issue of the CNN bomb still needs to be addressed. How did CNN get their bomb if the suspect was using the USPS to deliver his bombs? CNN had a bomb that looks just like the others, but came from a different delivery source. SO this still leaves us the troubling issue of; did CNN HOAX their own bomb with exacting standards, or is there in fact a second person creating identical bombs still on the loose?

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I don't rule anything out, except the impossible. That these things could have exploded without outside detonation is impossible.

But CriticalStinker above has it right... he's a wacko and dangerous either way and needs to be treated as though the 'bombs' were viable. His intent is there.

Actually, the more I think about it, this guy might just be crazy enough to have pulled this off. The utter incompetence of some people never ceases to amaze me, and always serves to surprise me.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

makes it seem like CNN was targeted with multiple devices.

Not if you read the whole sentence.

An X-ray image of one of the pipe bombs addressed to CNN and prominent critics of President Donald Trump provided by law enforcement officials briefed on the case.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

A 9v battery would show as a giant cuboid with two prominent leads coming from them in an x-ray.

Yes it would.

Why would the FBI publish images on how to build a complete bomb?

So they show us this because it wasn't in any way complete or explosive in that configuration and therefor a faux bomb is my gut feeling.

link   

Pretend for a sec that the clock could power the explosion. At best you have 23 hours and 59 minutes for the USPS to deliver your bomb to the target. It is simply not going to get there on time no matter how well you timed it with that clock.

link   
a reply to: Justoneman

There's a huge difference between being afraid of someone harming you, and trying to understand how they could harm you. The first is paranoia; the last is reasonable caution using science.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join