It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.K. Bans the words fake news in official documents

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
UK bans the phrase ‘fake news’

When I first heard this I thought it was for everyone but after checking it is only for official documents. Hummm... I wonder why they felt it was important to make this kind of ruling ? youtu.be...

edit on 727thk18 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
You also cannot utter the phrase punch the clown, or skin the banana. Its just ludicrous.

a reply to: 727Sky

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Obviously because fake journalists would get their poor little feelings hurt.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

When I first heard this I thought it was for everyone but after checking it is only for official documents. Hummm... I wonder why they felt it was important to make this kind of ruling ? youtu.be...

oh
I thought they were busy working on brexit.....
who knew?

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The Ministry of Truth has spoken.
'War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.'
-INGSOC

edit on 26-10-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
What do you cousins across the pond, call untrue, unsubstantiated, completely false news stories, that are made up to hurt other people or organisations?

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Could have several reasons. "fake" is not obvious in it´s definition like other adjectives. If someone hears "red car", they can draw a definite conclusion. If you hear "fake news", the word constelation in itself is loaded.

Maybe it´s because it´s a stupid term (fake news = lying / distorting truth or facts)?

Just some barely educated guesses, since I´m not a native english speaker.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
What do you cousins across the pond, call untrue, unsubstantiated, completely false news stories, that are made up to hurt other people or organisations?

CNN

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

I wonder why they felt it was important to make this kind of ruling ?

When the term was first coined it was ment to be used against conservative news outlets and sources. Now that the conservatives have reappropriated it for their own use against liberal news outlets and sources it is no longer a useful term and must be stopped from us.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I wonder why they felt it was important to make this kind of ruling ?

"Misinformation" and "disinformation" are more appropriate terms for use in official documents , "Fake News" is just a jingoistic term used by people with an agenda.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It's more to do with it being a such a weak and undefined phrase than anything else.

"Fake news" could mean anything, such as inaccurate news or misleading news.

Why call something fake news when you can describe it in an accurate manner? Official documents are not things to be written in a half-assed manner.

I want my government to be accountable and accurate, I don't want it using words that can be misconstrued. I want it to have a grasp of the English language and uphold a standard.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
What vershickter said. When they write about fake news in official documents, then someone's got to decide what is fake and what is real, and in the current climate that's not possible anymore, there's no consensus. They'd need a literal ministry of truth.

And actually fake news has always been printed, it's just become more of a controversial issue now.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

You also cannot utter the phrase punch the clown, or skin the banana. Its just ludicrous.

Oh go scram a goat you funky bar stool.

I agree, it is ludicrous however all these politicians using the 'fake news' trope are using the MSM as a form of plausible deniability, I bet Trump has never heard the tale of the boy who cried wolf.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
there goes freespeech… only gov. approofed news comes trough the filters...

few moore steps to go and you hear only wat you need to hear !

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Bs personally, but we're not talking about the opinion if individuals.

The "fake news" Americans keep sprouting about can be easily tackled with lawsuits, I could say the US President eats frog spawn whilst snorting splenda in the oval office. Yeah... That's fake news, but it's also fabricated news. If I said that it's potentially slander, written it's libel.

See where I'm going with this?

Highly inaccurate news or purposefully misleading news could be called fake news too but then "fake news" is a highly inaccurate phrase in of itself, more concise words can be used. They should be used in the realm of officialdom.

Very little of this fake news you talk about are absolute fabrications. Such information usually comes from entities claiming to supply news, like info wars. Or as I would say... They talk a load of bs.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ressiv

there goes freespeech… only gov. approofed news comes trough the filters...

How do the terms used in official documents amount to free speech being effected ?

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants
You wrote it the better way. What you described is almost the same construct that (once) was responsible for news anchors and their texters to not inject their opinions via wording, tone, remarks and facial expressions.

When there was a difference between a neutral article, the writers opinions and comments. I once learned that if you write articles about any topic to do it from a neutral stance and leave the reader to interpret the information.

Preferably without any kind of loaded sentences and bias.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Is this inclusive of all people everyewhere or just the media?

Like if i were to go shouting in the train 'fake news' fake news' would I be taken into custody?

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

It would have been fake news, but alas BS will have to suffice. Let’s see them try ban that.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

We Brits tend to refer to it as "Bollocks".

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join