It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Metz takes you on a walkaround of the YF-23

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: C0bzz
Just a minor nitpick because of my autism (joke, I'm not actually autistic).

Fighter designations include the hyphen. Therefore, it's F-22 not F22.

Engine designations do not include the hyphen. Therefore it's F119 not F-119.

I believe OCD is the disorder you’re thinking of.😉

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
My memory is fuzzy, is the YF-23 Blackwidow?!?!?

I SAW BLACKWIDOW well over Mach 2 with my own eyes in about 2004.

When they had fixed her up and were trying to get the tactical bomber contract. I was out near the test bombing range in North Carolina in 2004.

I didn't realize which specific plane I saw, for years. Faster than anything else I had ever seen, dark grey/black, no markings, and that slick body type.

I was at a loss for explanations for a while, I watched this bird go horizon to horizon, in dead silence. I didn't hear the roar of the engines until this bad baby was OUT OF MY SIGHT. That's how far above sound speed it was.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: justdust

That goes into the politics of it. It played a small role. Northrop played the biggest role at the time though. Their history of lousy program management hurt more than anything.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeedFanatic

The articles I have read suggest lack of trust in Northrop and marketing- IE what they did/didn't do in the fly off..

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpeedFanatic
a reply to: CrownCartwheelCreed

You have a PM, dude. Click on the letter button in the upper right corner of the page, please.

Replied. Incidentally- my user interface specified no messages since last visit... yet there was one..

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I always thought the USAF could have gone either way with either plane and ended up with a very capable aircraft, albeit in slightly different ways with different emphasis. And whilst Northrop was coming off some bad blood with the way the B-2 was handled as well as other naughty things others have referenced here, you would have to say that the way the F-35 has been handled is hardly a shining example of brilliant program management...though what new aircraft program ever is.

But with this video, love the perspective that Metz gives: you can see now, even after all these years, the guy is not merely a brilliant pilot, but a brilliant ambassador for the aircraft, who had to spend thousands of hours talking to somewhat dim-witted Congressmen as to why this was a worthwhile investment in America's security, in language they could understand. He represented his company so well in a very high stakes game.
edit on 27/10/2018 by Borys because: Edited for clarity on Paul Metz as a "brand ambassador"

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   
And another great speech by Metz at the same event...

edit on 27/10/2018 by Borys because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
YF-23 -> interceptor
YF-22 -> fighter

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
YF-23 -> interceptor
YF-22 -> fighter

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Borys

Honestly most of the peninsular seniors videos are good. Lot of knowledge on that channel.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

They do seem to have an "unfair" pool of legendary talent to choose from for their videos.

<< 1   >>

join