It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Metz takes you on a walkaround of the YF-23

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

A really great video featuring Paul Metz, the legendary test pilot, taking you on a tour around an F-23 prototype. Great info for both aviation novices and seasoned buffs who think they know quite a fair bit - quite likely there is something new you'll learn here.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Great video I’ve seen it before but can never get enough of the YF23 love that bird! Those peninsula seniors YouTube videos are awesome they’ve put up some awesome aerospace interviews thanks for reminding me about them I’ll be binge watching them again for sure. Such an awesome bird! S&F for you.

ETA- Here’s the clip embedded for you:

edit on 10/26/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Thanks for the imbed! I tried to see if someone posted this before but could not find it under a Paul Metz search, and YF-23 produces way too many hits.

It's great to see seniors doing this, but also a bit scary to think that Paul Metz is one of them! But suddenly when you realise he started his air-force career even before I was born...and I am uncomfortably close to 50...

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Borys
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Thanks for the imbed! I tried to see if someone posted this before but could not find it under a Paul Metz search, and YF-23 produces way too many hits.

It's great to see seniors doing this, but also a bit scary to think that Paul Metz is one of them! But suddenly when you realise he started his air-force career even before I was born...and I am uncomfortably close to 50...

Oh no I don’t think I’ve seen it on here before I just stumbled onto their channel on YT and that’s one of the ones I watched you’re good buddy. As far as how to embed don’t post the whole link into the YouTube post box on here you just want everything after the “/“ so for your video you just put i the “iU8gWgz9n4U”. You can still edit the OP hit quote on my original replay and copy out the YT embed coding and paste it into your OP via the edit and you’ll be good to go.
ETA Just take this and remove the space I through in and it’ll be good [yvid]iU8gWgz9n4U[/yvi d]

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I have always loved this particular plane, while I enjoy the F-22 itself, the YF-23 is really very unique on its own. I enjoy some of the games that let you use them in missions, gives you a little bit different feel than the 22. S&F, great video with some great information.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The 23 was just a sexy jet, very curvy and bulky, but sexy.

I can't believe they picked the 22 over this design.

Zaphod, WHY did they? Is it as simple as it met the mission parameters best in the shootout?
edit on 26-10-2018 by Tempter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

From memory, thrust vectoring was a big reason why the F22 got over the line.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

From memory, thrust vectoring was a big reason why the F22 got over the line.

IMO that was an advantage having less complexity as the 23 could pull the same angles of attack without the TV.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I don't have Zapod's knowledge, but.. (from Pop Mech)

However, Northrop brought some baggage of its own to the table back in the 90s. The company had reputation for "test fraud, contract suspension, and fines," the National Interest says. The company's work on the B-2 had incurred huge cost overruns, and the Air Force may have been nervous about repeating the experience.

So why did the Air Force pick the YF-22? Lockheed, by default, appeared that it would manage the fighter program better than Northrop would. The Cold War was over and the defense budget was already headed into decline. The Air Force knew that if it was going to ask Congress for money to fund a fighter that no longer had an opponent, the program had better be well managed.

Another reason the YF-22 won: marketing. Lockheed put the YF-22 through a vigorous flight test schedule that really showed off the fighter's dogfighting abilities, including an angle of attack of 60 degrees and sharp 9g turns that pushed the limits of human endurance. While the YF-23 was likely just as maneuverable as its competitor, Northrop didn't go out of its way to demonstrate that it could

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: CrownCartwheelCreed

I'm not entirely convinced about how F-22 is better than YF-23. I've never been able to go through tests results but the information I got was that the -23 won in just about every step during testing phase and it performed better than -22. I'm willing to bet that YF-22(and F-22 later) won mostly because of marketing. Happens everywhere...

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpeedFanatic

I'm not entirely convinced about how F-22 is better than YF-23. I've never been able to go through tests results but the information I got was that the -23 won in just about every step during testing phase and it performed better than -22. I'm willing to bet that YF-22(and F-22 later) won mostly because of marketing. Happens everywhere...

That's how I understood it.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

A little bit of too much complexity, a dash of politics, and a lot of bad taste from previously mismanaged programs by Northrop.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The YF-22 met the specs for less cost and complexity. If a Corvette will make the lap times you need, don't buy the McClaren even though you may really want the McClaren.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

You have a PM, dude. Click on the letter button in the upper right corner of the page, please.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Borys

interesting hat hes got on.

either a boating guy or a little leak

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3
a reply to: Borys

interesting hat hes got on.

either a boating guy or a little leak

Either that or it’s a P&W 119 hat (hint it is)

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

It's just an engine used for F-22, Pratt&Whitney F-119(company designation is PW5000).

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpeedFanatic
a reply to: penroc3

It's just an engine used for F-22, Pratt&Whitney F-119(company designation is PW5000).

Beat ya to it😜😏😉

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I was working Flight test at LM when this was going down. We, the worker bees, were told that the AF went with the f22 because it was sleeker than the F23. We knew that the thinking at the time was, looks good...flys good.

posted on Oct, 26 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Just a minor nitpick because of my autism (joke, I'm not actually autistic).

Fighter designations include the hyphen. Therefore, it's F-22 not F22.

Engine designations do not include the hyphen. Therefore it's F119 not F-119.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join