It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't be cheap on Halloween, give full sized candy!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Ok, that title should be save money and give full sized candy on halloween.

So hear me out. I went to the store today, they had a giant bag of cheap crap candy, it was $21 dollars.
This same store (Meijer) had a deal buy 10 full sized candies at .89 piece, get 10 free. If you got 40 huge full sized pieces
of candy you would pay 17.80 vs $21 for the cheap yucky crap. I had an extra coupon for ten bucks off, so I got 40 pieces for 8 dollars!!!
I've done this for at least a decade now and the full size is almost always cheaper when there is a sale, which there almost always is.

I love Halloween, and I don't care if you are a toddler, a teen, or even an adult, I give candy to everyone. I even make sure to have some non-candy in there for sensitive kids.

When I was growing up, it seemed a lot more people would pass out candy, like every single house except for one or two. Now it seems that people are just so greedy now, half the neighborhood turns off their lights. They don't want to share a piece of candy with a neighborhood kids. Or how about the people that don't want teens or kids from other neighborhood coming over. C'mon, let them be kids as long as possible.

I think there is a deeper social issue to this. A lot of adults just don't like kids now. This could be a whole other topic, but I think this is leaking over into Halloween now.

The reactions I get from kids coming to my house is just priceless. When their little eyes see a giant basket filled to the brim with full sized candies. Every single child, every single one has said thank you. It is so worth it!

edit on 25-10-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I hit CVS after Halloween and all teh candy is 75% off. Now Im diabetic so go figure.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Excuse me, but who is the greedy one? Kids with burlap sacks going to house after house demanding candy, or people who do not want to contribute to fat diabetic kids who are stuffing their faces with sugar? And you are actually suggesting people ought to give BIGGER candy bars? Good Lord! Talk about misplaced values!

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I remember when I was a kid, there were 2 houses that gave full size candy bars. They were the delight of my evening. I looked at the folks that handed us those big bars with reverence.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Excuse me, but who is the greedy one? Kids with burlap sacks going to house after house demanding candy, or people who do not want to contribute to fat diabetic kids who are stuffing their faces with sugar? And you are actually suggesting people ought to give BIGGER candy bars? Good Lord! Talk about misplaced values!

Your not as fun as you could be, but you have a point.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I'm sure all those problems are because of Halloween and the candy size.

Dramatic much?

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
An even better suggestion; since they will be expecting the small candies anyway, save money by buying the large ones, and then save more money by breaking them in half.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

It's not candy that is making kids obese. I think back to the 1970's and 80's. We ate much much more candy than any kids do today. I remember all my friends hitting up the 7'11 every single day before school and after school, eating king sized snickers and whatchamacallits. We were all skinny as rails. We also drank kool aid with what seemed like a full cup of sugar. Real sugar in sweet tea. School lunches with those little barrel shaped sugar flavored "juices". I vividly remember that only one child in my school was considered fat. You can blame our obesity crisis on a lot of things, but it isn't Halloween candy!

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: pointessa

I remember when I was a kid, there were 2 houses that gave full size candy bars. They were the delight of my evening. I looked at the folks that handed us those big bars with reverence.

Last year, a little kid, maybe around 12, told me that I was the most awesome human! Made my night! hahahah

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

We get anywhere from 400-500 kids, they're lucky I let them leave here alive.

edit on 25-10-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
you only get full sized candy if you do a trick first. sorry kids, thats life.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Now it seems that people are just so greedy now, half the neighborhood turns off their lights. They don't want to share a piece of candy with a neighborhood kids.

Nobody shows up, which means you end up with 5 lbs of diabeetus waiting to assault you the moment Halloween is over. Even my own kids don't trick or treat. We'll take them to the church for trunk or treat (sometimes), but yeah, it gets old having a bunch of candy sitting by the door and getting less than 5 kids showing up the whole night, so we stopped bothering with it a couple of years ago. It wasn't greed, it was simple disappointment.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Give them all sugar free gummy bears. I may need a new toilet after tonight.

www.amazon.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That totally made me think of this ultra creepy house & owner, we used to call it the vampire lady house, nobody was to ever go near there. It seriously looked like something out of a horror novel. Tall gothic iron fence and gate with creepy vines. The house was somewhat hidden from the street. The creepy lady that lived there somehow knew the entire history of everyone in the area, even things from 100yrs past. She kept inviting me over for tea. I said no way, I know she wanted me to be the "tea"!!!!

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That totally made me think of this ultra creepy house & owner, we used to call it the vampire lady house, nobody was to ever go near there. It seriously looked like something out of a horror novel. Tall gothic iron fence and gate with creepy vines. The house was somewhat hidden from the street. The creepy lady that lived there somehow knew the entire history of everyone in the area, even things from 100yrs past. She kept inviting me over for tea. I said no way, I know she wanted me to be the "tea"!!!!

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
There's some folks in my neighborhood that give full-sized bars out, they stockpile throughout the year with various sales & deals (probably from Meijer) and they swear it's cheaper by the ounce that way. Whatever floats their boats, I'm not going to tell them what to hand out or not hand out, it's not my choice (or money, etc)

One of the churches around me has volunteer parishioners come in & hand out treats, leaflets (typical of a church, I know) One year, one old lady passed out gorgeous homemade mittens, hats & scarves. They were done so well that I highly doubt any kid walked away from her disappointed.
One guy gives out Matchbox cars, my younger kid (serious collector) looks forward to stopping at the church the most. Screw the candy, her & the Matchbox car grandpa hang out for half an hour talking cars! I think it's one of the few days he can even make it to the church, he's a pretty frail dude. They remember each other every year & look very forward to their automotive chats.

I'm looking forward to seeing who does what this year in the neighborhood. The homemade caramel popcorn from last year was a WONDERFUL surprise, it's an old-school rarity anymore. Like candy apples, you hardly ever see anyone giving them out anymore. There are folks in the neighborhood that give out spiked cider & chili to the parents who are walking, and warm virgin drinks (hot cider or hot chocolate, or simple tea) and chili to the kids.

If you're just running from door to door for the candy for the kids, you're doing Halloween wrong. It's a great way to hang out with the neighborhood in a festive atmosphere, we take our time & enjoy the community slowing down enough to do that, even if for just a few evening hours.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

We have a giant old Victorian that typically gets done up for Halloween so it looks like your quintessential haunted house, the parents like it as much as the kids.

I'd kill them too but then the kids would never have someone to drag them the hell off my lawn.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
The homemade caramel popcorn from last year was a WONDERFUL surprise, it's an old-school rarity anymore. Like candy apples, you hardly ever see anyone giving them out anymore.

Right? Now I have kids asking, "Is that gluten free? Are there nuts in there?"

You can only imagine what I say to them.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I'm saying all this tongue in cheek. Of course people have to do what's best for them.

I love the mittens lady, that is freaking awesome. I would totally visit her house!
I know people stopped doing popcorn and apples when all those razor blade and poison scares came on the news.
After that it seemed only wrapped goods. I think it is ok to get homemade stuff if you know your neighbors personally.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I bet you were a blast at parties. GET OFF MY LAWN!!! Lmao.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join