It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why not have HIV carriers live in bubbles?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
This topic came up on another thread. I was talking with my good friend Mattison0922 about it. Bubbles were created years ago for children with immunity problems. So why not use them for HIV people so that they don't have to worry about catching anything?

Would you do it when HIV first was detected or would you wait until it became full blown AIDS?

They could create whole communities where these patients live amongst each other in their safe bubble environments.

What does everyone else think??

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Imagine the really poor quality of life living inside of a giant bubble.... Good idea for keeping them alive, but for what? Same goes for those with immunity problems, preserving life at what cost to the individual?

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Wasn't there a video game like that?

You are going to get soooo flamed! Hold on till I get my popcorn will ya!?!

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
It would take away their rights. Rights to infect others. No I'm joking, don't flame me or take away my points.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well at least he didn't say test everyone and isolate the people with the disease. Unfortuantely that will probably be the only way to get rid of AIDS

Flame away

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
Well at least he didn't say test everyone and isolate the people with the disease.

That is actually how I took it. After that we can kill all the disabled and old. They are not productive to society anyway.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
Well at least he didn't say test everyone and isolate the people with the disease. Unfortuantely that will probably be the only way to get rid of AIDS

Flame away

HIV is the only disease in history that came with its own civil rights attached. Think about it....................

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Zabilgy: This is taken from your other thread. Decided to post it here also.

I think the difference is that HIV people are merely immune compromised, and don't lack an immune system entirely. The SCIDS people, at least as I understand it, for the most part have NO immune system. The slightest infection can kill them. I don't believe HIV leads to absolute suppression of all immunity, I could be wrong about this though. Could be a quality of life issue to though... personally, if I had HIV, I'd probably rather take my chances at living as normal a life as possible as opposed to living in a bubble for the rest of my days.

Though, perhaps your post isn't completely far fetched... instead of bubbles though... maybe entirely HEPA filtered sterile communities could be devised, although it seems like it could be highly impractical... at least right now.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Walking around in a bubble a'la that "Bubble Boy" movie (sure, it's not common practice to have bubblesuits, more like a very small sterile room but there are probably bubbleboys walking around somewhere.) Would of course be terrible. Remember that MTV commercial back from the early '90s that made it a requirement for all people with STDs to wear a bright orange shirt all the time with the name of their disease on it. That's a terrific idea, imo! It'd do a lot to stem the spread of all those nasty ailments.

Bubble idea has probably been tried and studied before somewhere, but I personally would rather be dead than "live" in a bubble. My life is scrutinized enough as it is, and I don't live in an aquarium.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
That is actually how I took it. After that we can kill all the disabled and old. They are not productive to society anyway.

That's how I took it from the title as well...

As for what you really meant...

I don't think it'd be worth it. Sure, you might live a while longer, but the quality of life, experiences, etc., would diminish dramatically. You'd be so limited in what you would be able to do; personally, I don't think it'd be worth it.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I don't think a bubble is that bad an idea, but the "bubble" itself
would need some improvement. I mean it would have to be
better than the one in that movie...something that would allow
much more freedom of movement and not so bulky.
And of course it would probably have to be a voluntary thing for
the patient.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
So we would forcibly separate husbands and wives, little children from parents, parents from their infants......

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
This is seriously the dumbest idea I have ever heard, fun to think aboutin la la land, but I think the billions it would cost to construct these bubble societies would be better use where they currently are being used, medical research, and drug manufacturing.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

So we would forcibly separate husbands and wives, little children from parents, parents from their infants......

Many of you seem to have me wrong. I'm not saying to force anyone to do this. Just use it as an alternative for those who want it. The whole "bubble" concept came as a result of a different immune difficiency disease, so why not use the same concept on AIDS...another immunity issue? Again, given to the patient as an option. Where did I say we should force this on people?

I threw it out here as a concept. I don't believe it's very feasible. I do like what Mattison had to say though. At least he could look at it outside the box....not so literally......

After that we can kill all the disabled and old. They are not productive to society anyway.

And JONNA.....you were way off here pal. Not on the same page as me at all. I give your comment a big DAH!!

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
It sounds to me like the suggestion was given to separate the infected from the non-infected for the sake of the non-infected. Obviously, there is a huge difference between that and the case of the Bubble Boy, who was placed in a sealed environment for his own protection, because contact even with his own mother would kill him.

Do you know how HIV is passed? Really, you do? Do you know how to avoid contracting it? Really? Good! Practice it.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

Do you know how HIV is passed? Really, you do? Do you know how to avoid contracting it? Really? Good! Practice it.

I dont think that's what he meant, TC.
From my reading, he's referring to their use to prevent additional infections someone who has HIV/AIDS, keeping them healthier, as death is normally caused by infections wreaking havoc due to a weakened immune system.
I don't think he's talking about preventing the further spread of AIDS.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Are you sure? What other way could it be? People with AIDS can walk around just fine, until it gets them to the point where they are at the tail end of the fight. Placing them in bubbles wouldn't help them, it'd make them a bit crazy, but it wouldn't help them.

Hey, what is that little emoticon with the tape across his mouth? Is that representative of a psycho or something? Why does BTS have way more emoticons than ATS? I think there is a conspiracy here somewhere! The background color is more pleasing over here as well. I never come over here, I think I should poke around this place a little! Looky - they even serve lunch over here!!

I'm talking to Simon about the desparity between the two sides of the house!!

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Are you sure? What other way could it be? People with AIDS can walk around just fine, until it gets them to the point where they are at the tail end of the fight. Placing them in bubbles wouldn't help them, it'd make them a bit crazy, but it wouldn't help them.

I don't t hink it would really help them either, but I really don't think his idea was to separate them for the benefit of the non-infected.
Obviously, HIV/AIDS isn't spread that way, but his reasoning is along the same lines of the bubble boy situation with no immune system. People with HIV/AIDS have compromised immune systems, so perhaps being in a bubble environment would prevent secondary infections from ultimately killing them or something.

Hey, what is that little emoticon with the tape across his mouth? Is that representative of a psycho or something? Why does BTS have way more emoticons than ATS? I think there is a conspiracy here somewhere! The background color is more pleasing over here as well. I never come over here, I think I should poke around this place a little! Looky - they even serve lunch over here!!

I'm talking to Simon about the desparity between the two sides of the house!!

I think the emoticon represents STFU, which I'm sure you can figure out.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
if you really wanna stop HIV/AIDS you would have to quarentene(sp) everyone who was infected with it on the planet, prevent them from having sex with non infected people early on while they can still functing in the early stages of the virus. it might be easier in someplaces and really tough in other places. youd have to make like places where they could live comfortably and normally. thats the only way to get rid of HIV/AIDS totally. this is a way better idea than killing them all.

[edit on 2-25-2005 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

It sounds to me like the suggestion was given to separate the infected from the non-infected for the sake of the non-infected. Obviously, there is a huge difference between that and the case of the Bubble Boy, who was placed in a sealed environment for his own protection, because contact even with his own mother would kill him.

This is NOT MY POINT. Parrhesia is correct. I was thinking of it as a way for those with AIDS to keep from getting any infections or catching anything that would make them sick. I have friends with AIDS and I have a cousin that died of AIDS. I also have a brother that died of cancer.

I was simply looking at it as a solution for keeping an AIDS patient from contracting anything that would lead to their death. I was looking at it as a concept. I understand that living in such an environment may not be of ones choosing. Most people, would probably rather live out their days normally and take what comes to them. Just like a bird in a cage. If I was a bird, I'd rather live one year free than 5 years in a cage......

top topics

<<   2 >>

join