It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scrolling ads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
These ads dont go away for 30 srconds. When they disappear i scroll up to see what threads were hiding and the ads reappear. Approximately 7 or 8 threads are covered up by this nonsense and the site is effectively dysfunctional.

Will you fix the scrolling ads ever, or I need to write an extension to remove ads all together for the entire community?

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I had this problem for about a week straight, on multiple Android devices, but haven't noticed it lately. When I was seeing it, I was also getting regular ads inserted in the middle of the text of some posts.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

I've come to notice that when I'm logged in the ads don't show up. However if I'm browsing from my other phone which is not logged in the ads cover my whole screen.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

Nope...no such issues...its on you...take a poll of 300,000 members...then fix, clean, reset, adjust, close, your stuff...games, videos, auto plays, sec. settings, browser, open tabs...

The majority of us quarter million will keep enjoying ATS...not to sound harsh.jj

If you can't understand its your end since you joined in 2014...'cant help you....

Neither can a problem for a few thousand be fixed affecting all...when its NOT all...

Figure it out..its not a site wide, inclusive, exclusive everyone's got it issue...

Its your end (those few who any issues)

Do you expect ATS IT guys to come over just to fix yours and a few others? Think about it....

Even fixing it for 50,000 members...that leaves over 300,000 members WITH ZERO problems.
edit on 24-10-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

That'd be in violation of the ToS. Plus anyone willing to do that is probably already using some form of ad blocking.

Anyways, if you decide to write your extension, could I just recommend a single CSS rule instead?

Cool, thanks bye.
edit on 24-10-2018 by hombero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

You may not be aware of how many people are already blocking ads. Of the ones on this site who i know IRL, i am the only one who is not. Literally three apps installed on my phone from the store, everything else is standard.
ACR
Webroot
Pokemon Go

I will test this from my two other android phones. I assure you the ads had issues on from all of them prior to the scrolling ads. If its a ToS violation to make the site functional then ban me now.

ETA: i have the paid versions for ACR and Webroot, which is tied to my MSP account. Only Pokemon Go is free.
edit on 24-10-2018 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Thats the problem i had until these scrolling ads.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Nope...no such issues...its on you...take a poll of 300,000 members...then fix, clean, reset, adjust, close, your stuff...games, videos, auto plays, sec. settings, browser, open tabs...

The majority of us quarter million will keep enjoying ATS...not to sound harsh.

Well that’s a dramatically one-sided opinion for someone calling for a poll of 300,000 members which hasn’t taken place yet.

Yes I have this same problem and it’s driving me crazy. Makes the page jump around constantly too, making it very difficult to keep your place while reading for more than 5 or so seconds at a time.

For the record, these ad companies show different ads to different people in different areas whom have different cookies and so on and so forth. Even if the number of affected members is small, there’s no problem with sharing feedback with the site who will hopefully share it with their ad provider...

Thanks for the thread. Flag to share you’re not alone and we’d appreciate a fix.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   

top topics

join