It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Desperate to Win, Crooked Republicans Turn to Dirty Tricks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Under our American system, the Republicans benefit from a builtin advantage in that the rural voters favor conservatives and folks in these sparsely populated areas are disproportionately represented in the EC, in the Senate, etc. Conservative pols are of course also notorious for their penchant for gerrymandering because really, is there such a thing as too much rigging?

Another favorite strategy of the crooked cons is voter suppression, which takes many forms, from the disenfranchisement of legitimately registered voters from voter to changing polling station hours and shuttering polling stations in predominately minority populated areas an those near colleges. That's all on top of all the "voter ID" laws which purport to be solutions to the fake epidemic of voter fraud but are really about eking out a little more statistical advantage.

Still, more can be done.

For instance, there's Rep. Lee Zeldin, R-N.Y. who has for the second election in a row, sent out mailers with incorrect deadlines absentee ballots:

Zeldin mailer uses wrong deadline for absentee ballots

For the second consecutive election, a Rep. Lee Zeldin campaign mailer has the wrong deadline for voters to return absentee ballots. The Shirley Republican’s mailer told voters to postmark their ballots by Nov. 6. The actual deadline is Nov. 5.

The campaign blamed the printer, who fell on his sword — saying they ran with the wrong proof — but it seems more than a coincidence that in 2016, the same campaign also sent out mailers with a day late deadline.

Then there's this scam in Washington where Republican dirty tricksters try to split the Democratic vote with a fake left-wing write-in campaign.

Blatant voter suppression”? Conservative group’s mailer touches off furor in Washington’s 19th District

A campaign mailer recently sent out in Washington’s 19th Legislative District has all the hallmarks of a Democratic pitch. It bears the emblems of unions and the left-leaning advocacy group Fuse Washington, and calls on voters to embrace the “progressive” candidate.

But the mailer, sent by a political action committee called Conscience of the Progressives, doesn’t urge voters to elect Erin Frasier, the Democrat running against Rep. Jim Walsh, R-Aberdeen.

Instead, it urges voters to write-in their support for Teresa Purcell — the Democrat who ran and lost against Walsh two years ago.

As it turns out, Conscience of the Progressives is run and funded by conservative advocates and donors. And the mailers drew a swift rebuke Friday from Democrats and some of those listed on the campaign flier.

A similar mailer was sent to voters in the Spokane area’s 6th Legislative District, where Republican Jeff Holy beat Democrat Jessa Lewis by about 5 percentage points in the August primary. Instead of voting for Lewis, the mailer urges voters to write in Joe Pakootas, a Democrat who in 2016 ran for U.S. Congress.

Fuse Washington and the Washington State Labor Council, whose names are listed on the mailers, are speaking with attorneys to see what, if any, recourse they could take against Morgan or the PAC, according to representatives for both groups. Both organizations this year have endorsed Frasier and Lewis.

Conscience of the Progressives is largely funded by another PAC, whose main donor is Peter Zieve, the aerospace entrepreneur who gave $1 million to support Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential campaign and drew scrutiny for his expression of anti-Muslim sentiments.

By any means necessary, amirite?
edit on 2018-10-23 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

A campaign mailer recently sent out in Washington’s 19th Legislative District has all the hallmarks of a Democratic pitch. It bears the emblems of unions and the left-leaning advocacy group Fuse Washington, and calls on voters to embrace the “progressive” candidate.

But the mailer, sent by a political action committee called Conscience of the Progressives, doesn’t urge voters to elect Erin Frasier, the Democrat running against Rep. Jim Walsh, R-Aberdeen.

Instead, it urges voters to write-in their support for Teresa Purcell — the Democrat who ran and lost against Walsh two years ago.

Oh man, that's almost as funny as this mornings Trump as Chebacca video.

edit on 23-10-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

+19 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It isn't the rules that have your party losing in every aspect, it's your policies. Get your house in order.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
What about the “return your absentee ballots today” in gold foil on the front of the flyer. Seems like a lot of bitching about something relatively minor.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Impossible.

Only democrats so dirty #.

Repubs are squeaky clean.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The pot calling the kettle black ?

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Wouldn't the Republican with the wrong absentee ballot date really be hurting his own campaign more so than the Democrats? I mean he is probably mailing these to voters he thinks will vote for him. If he is telling them the wrong date, how is that hurting Democrats?

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
If your party can only come out on top if less Americans vote, there might be something wrong with the system (and probably your party as well).

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16

The pot calling the kettle black ?

That is the nature of most to do within the Two Party System.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Yes the republicans have been corrupt

As have democrats

There was mass voter suppression in democratic primaries in New York to help Hillary for example

But I agree with the thrust of your op

However, saying voter fraud is fake, or that voter is is suppression is absurd

Or are you one of those people that feel certain ethnicities aren’t capable of getting id?

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Wouldn't the Republican with the wrong absentee ballot date really be hurting his own campaign more so than the Democrats? I mean he is probably mailing these to voters he thinks will vote for him. If he is telling them the wrong date, how is that hurting Democrats?

The complaints this year appear to have originated with college students. The allegation is that Zeldin's campaign sent the mailers to neighborhoods which would be expected to favor Democrats.

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Huh.

Gerrymandering, voter ID laws and bad mailers compared against spying on a presidential campaign, dispensing with the presumption of innocence, and 'run 'em out of public places'.

Who's desperate again?

edit on 23-10-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

edit on 23-10-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: Edumakated

The complaints this year appear to have originated with college students. The allegation is that Zeldin's campaign sent the mailers to neighborhoods which would be expected to favor Democrats.

So Democrats are now magically considering voting Republican because of a flyer and maybe mislead on said flyer by an incorrect date? Again, even if you think a left leaning or undecided might magically decide to vote for the Republican, the incorrect date is hurting the Republican.

Seems a bit of a stretch to assume a Democrat voter is going to be like "Gee, I don't recall the absentee ballot deadline, let me reference this Republican flyer I just happened to pin to my refrigerator that has the date on it..."
edit on 23-10-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

However, saying voter fraud is fake, or that voter is is suppression is absurd

I wasn't saying that voter fraud isn't a real thing, I was saying the supposed epidemic of voter fraud is a fake. That is, the actual incidence of voter fraud is outrageously exaggerated to justify voter ID laws.

Or are you one of those people that feel certain ethnicities aren’t capable of getting id?

No? I think the most significant factors are socioeconomic and age related.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I just love one of these "popcorn-type" threads.With this
mid-term election drawing closer,I have to remember to
buy more popcorn.
Hey,do you think that the caravan/future democrat voters
will get here in time to derail the election?

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

So Democrats are now magically considering voting Republican because of a flyer and maybe mislead on said flyer by an incorrect date?

No. I feel like maybe you didn't read everything before commenting. The mailers in Washington are made up to look as though they come from a left-wing "progressive" organization, feature logos from liberal groups (used with out consent to confer endorsement) and encourage prospective Democratic voters to write in the names of former Democratic candidates from recent elections.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
This is a bipartisan thing. Democrats do it, too - but on a much much wider/national scale (top-down) as opposed to GOP doing it from the local level on up (down->up).

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

I just love one of these "popcorn-type" threads.With this
mid-term election drawing closer,I have to remember to
buy more popcorn.
Hey,do you think that the caravan/future democrat voters
will get here in time to derail the election?

How would the caravan "derail" the election? Remember what happened in April? A fraction of the caravan actually made it to the border. CBP brought them in for processing (application for asylum) in a trickle over a few weeks while they camped in squalid conditions on the Mexican side of the border and a handful were eventually arrested while trying to cross illegally.

The biggest effect the caravan will have on the election is that Republicans will have used it to get the base riled up.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
If the Democrats stop attacking things that rural people love they could easily make inroads to the voting base in the rural areas.

Also over represented... LOL.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join