It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B2 makes emergency landing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Story mentions destination..but not origin. Perhaps opening up some hangar space for Edwards?

Also interesting that it landed at the airport instead of Peterson AFB- directly adjacent.

koaa.com...
edit on 23-10-2018 by CrownCartwheelCreed because: Typo

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=23886274]CrownCartwheelCreed[/po
I thought runway length but its over 13k. Could have been wind direction. lots of things. Anyway, hope she is OK, that was my second favorite plane to work on.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CrownCartwheelCreed

It was most likely a round robin mission from Whiteman.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Boy they just made some spotters day. Do the B-2's wear Lundberg lens for routine flights over CONUS?

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
a reply to: [post=23886274]CrownCartwheelCreed[/po
I thought runway length but its over 13k. Could have been wind direction. lots of things. Anyway, hope she is OK, that was my second favorite plane to work on.

It may also be that whatever was the emergency they decided direct in was the way to go rather than maneuver to line up the other runway.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

I've never seen them installed. That doesn't mean they don't, but they may have other methods to do the same thing.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Now that’s a sight you don’t see everyday... Awesome.

However...

21st Space Wing

[DESIRE TO KNOW MORE INTENSIFIES]

Forgive me if I’m reading wrong - are they operating the B-2s? Or is it more an overview scenario?
edit on 23-10-2018 by RitualReality because: Format palaver

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: RitualReality

Been based in Colorado Springs for a long time. They were transferred from a fighter unit to the 21st Space Wing in 1992.

They're not operating the B-2. The Public Affairs office of the base involved releases any statements about what happened, unless their home station does.
edit on 10/23/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Excellent answer - many thanks!

Sounded a whole load more sci-fi at face value

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Number 4 engine failed, leading to some other electrical issues.

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ground control audio is available

www.thedrive.com...

They were unable to change frequency on the radio. Also reports of once of the crew needing oxygen after landing.

Also noted in the article one side;s engine inlets were open the other were closed

Also listening to the audio the controller mentions having them on radar but its not clear if he is referring to a transponder signal or a real radar return. Ive done a few transports to that airport, but always at night and never noted if they have a radar up
edit on 10/24/18 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

They'd be flying with both transponder active and antenna and lights extended. That would significantly increase their signature.

posted on Oct, 25 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They'd be flying with both transponder active and antenna and lights extended. That would significantly increase their signature.

And hopefully gear down LOL

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   
The #4 failure was followed by complete electrical failure. The crew was able to restore power, but there was a pressurization issue as well, which is why oxygen was administered.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   
It was an engine failure, combined with an inadvertent bumping of at least one of the Airframe Mounted Accessory Drive switches in the cockpit. They're mounted by the knee of one of the crew members. As a result, Whiteman worked with one of the local high schools to develop a plastic switch cover, that costs about $1.25 each.

www.military.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the update. What is the switch they referenced?

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: CrownCartwheelCreed

There are four switches that are part of the system. They control hydraulics, the generators, and basic systems relating to them. I believe one is tied to each engine.

top topics

join