It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: US will build up nuclear arsenal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   
So I posted a thread just a few days ago about Trumps decision to pull out of the 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces treaty and in that thread I stated one of my reasons for being against it is that it opens up the possibility of leading to a build up of nuclear weapons. Well looks like I was right, Trump has came out and said that America will build up its nuclear arsenal until, Ironically I think, people "Come to their senses".

President Donald Trump has warned that the US will bolster its nuclear arsenal to put pressure on Russia and China.

Speaking to reporters, he repeated his belief that Russia has violated the 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) treaty, which he has threatened to leave. Russia denies this.

The Cold War-era treaty banned medium-range missiles, reducing the perceived Soviet threat to European nations.
Russia has warned it will respond in kind if the US develops more weapons.

Mr Trump said the US would build up its arsenal "until people come to their senses".

BBC News

This is a worrying turn, this guy was quite vocal during his transition period about nuclear weapons, its been reported that he had asked why nuclear weapons could not be used several times during some briefings, apparently asking 3 times in one briefing. Then he rips up one of the key treaties that ended the Cold War, now he is wanting to build up the American nuclear arsenal which will undoubtably be met by a build up of other states.

I am really struggling to see the positive sides to this.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

It's opening up the possibilities to use nuclear weapons in proxy wars. One can only hope that's not the reason behind it, but the intention to make a new deal including China.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Big stick, git rektd

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   

This is definitely disheartening.

While I don't think it carries the ramifications many will perceive from this, it's not good.

Russia and the US have had overkill amounts of nukes for some time. While we were on the path to dismantle many of them, we were going to have to anyways as they age. Still, the process would take some substantial time before it reduced global threat from these two countries possessing the sheer amount they do.

This looks to be advancing missile technology more than anything, which still is dangerous, just not what it seems at first glance.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Totally agree with your comment, very well put thanks for posting it.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Totally agree with your comment, very well put thanks for posting it.

Thank ya kindly.

I don't want it to sound like I'm defending it. It's really unneeded and looks more like dick measuring than anything, as if we learned nothing from the Cold War.

Just a shame we will have to waste tax dollars on this.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Jeez, just what the world needs, theater-level nuclear weapons.

Isn’t this what we eliminated with the IRNF treater back in the late 80’s?

Tactical will always lead to strategic

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
This is getting scary

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
This is getting scary

Well its not making me feel any safer thats for sure!

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Normally I can defend Trump or some of the stuff he does or says, even from the UK I do it all the time on social media, around friends and at work on most of the stuff he does but in this case I just cannot. I get what he believes he is doing is right but I'm sure I'm not alone when it comes to the idea that this'll lead to Russia getting and rebuilding their nuclear weapons and so will China, Iran will eventually do the same and it'll lead to a far darker world in my rather humble (although often not agreed with) opinion.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran are preparing nuclear electronic pulse attacks from space in a future conflict to cripple the U.S. military and plunge the United States into darkness, according to a declassified study.

freebeacon.com...

Because people hate us.

Build those Nukes!

Build those Nukes!

Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

There's no bigger stick than a nuclear stick.

Carrots don't work.
edit on 23-10-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

yeah that sounds like you have gone to the ver lowest depths of the inter webs to find some conspiracy theory that you can use to justify this move.

Even at that America already has the biggest stick there is....have you not seen the American defence budget recently?

All this is going to do is increase nuclear tensions, that it, there is no upside to this, it just means now Russia, China, Iran and just about anyone else is going to want to build up their own nuclear deterrent.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Give it a GD rest.

I grew up during the cold war.

Nuke fear mongering isn't nothing new.

As the Boyscouts say.

Be prepared.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I think being able to destroy all life on earth was enough nukes. I guess we need more. This one time I disagree with Trump.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Give it a GD rest.

I grew up during the cold war.

Nuke fear mongering isn't nothing new.

As the Boyscouts say.

Be prepared.

OK do you support Trump building more nukes if so why/why not?

I fail to see the upside to any of this.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Neo can't explain that. We don't need more, we have thousands more than we need to disable every "threat".

We have ICBM's capable of hitting any spot on earth. We have subs with nukes that even if we're destroyed, we could vaporize a country.

The second we feel we are in danger we can throw up stealth bombers armed with nukes.

We don't need more.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

So advancing missile technology does not go hand in hand with war in your opinion ? Surely they must be working on using that technique we read about a few years back. The one where a small nuclear explosion can create enough energy to propel a rocket through space for countless amounts of miles.

Somehow I feel that the first option is more likely, the one where we plan on killing each other with bigger, badder missiles.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Having lived through the cold war has made you jaded then ? I'm sure you've seen the doomsday clock move on more than a few occasions. That being said, I think when it happens, no one will be truly prepared.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Thats another really good point, more nukes just don't really seem to be needed, America can launch multiple nukes to any location on the planet with a moments notice and destroy ever major city on the planet.

Adding to that is a unnecessary waste of money, if nothing else.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

So advancing missile technology does not go hand in hand with war in your opinion ?

Yes, the space race was a way to flood money into R&D of ICBM's while making it palatable for the citizens.

We're past that. Hell, private corporations are making strides, more efficiently than governments. Look at SpaceX.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join