It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple failures led to Bahrain Hornet crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
An F-18 from the USS Nimitz that crashed at Bahrain International Airport in August of 2017 was on a post maintenance FCF, and suffered multiple systems failures almost immediately upon taking off. The most serious failure was of both exhaust nozzle units. The right nozzle failed at approximately 80% closed, while the left failed at almost fully open.

The pilot reported engine malfunction warnings and that he was going to return to the ship, but when he attempted to dump fuel, to get to landing weight, the dump switch closed on its own. The decision was made to divert to Isa Air Base, but he reported his airspeed was slowly decaying, so wound up diverting to Bahrain International, where upon landing both main landing gear tires failed and the pilot ejected. The aircraft was a complete loss.

www.navytimes.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I read the article. They seem to think the lack of lubrication in the nozzles may have been a contributing factor. But what I am more appalled by is the fact that the plane was down for 30 days because of a cut fuel bladder. That seems like a long time.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Amazing conglomeration of a lifetime worth of pilot surprises....not fair......props to him.....ejecting....scary

Way worse than my assymetfical thrust on a light twin gripes....say no to assymetrical prop spin
edit on 22-10-2018 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

It most likely was turned into a cann bird while they waited for the bladder to arrive. I've seen some issues with getting parts to the ship in the past, so I'm not terribly surprised by the time factor.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Woah, did I read that correctly... the pilot....I must have this wrong the pilot grabbed a ladder to shut down thevthrottles!! Woah

top topics

join