It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Walmart's interest in getting folks out to vote?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I can ask--my son and my son-in-law both work there.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Walmart needs a policy of privatized profits and socialized losses which is what keeps its costs so low in terms of health care and adequate pay for workers. It is in its best interest to get people to vote blue, its consumer base and employees (likely) so as to not be subjected to the trust busters that are coming.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX
And yet, they have contributed more to Republicans than they have Democrats.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
a reply to: riiver
Is there any proof that Walmart put the stickers up?

No.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

I don't shop at Wal-mart.

I suspect a "make America great again" slogan is not the best for a retailer that deals with mostly cheap imports.
My guess is there is interest from corporate to have as many people vote as possible.

The more people that vote gives our corporate run government the face of legitimacy so I would think Walmart benefits from that.
A dismal turn out would hurt them. Corporations donate heavily to both parties. There is no longer a labor party.
edit on 22-10-2018 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: vinifalou

It may have something to do with HRC screaming on her Twitter for people to get out and vote (for them obviously).

Yeah. That must be it. In 2018 Walmart contributed $833k to Democrats, $1,111k to Republicans.
www.opensecrets.org...

Bingo
And 0 other parties.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Yes it's in their stores, on their web site for company news also.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
Walmart needs a policy of privatized profits and socialized losses which is what keeps its costs so low in terms of health care and adequate pay for workers. It is in its best interest to get people to vote blue, its consumer base and employees (likely) so as to not be subjected to the trust busters that are coming.

As they say, there is no free lunch.
If the government does not subsidize Walmart workers, and Walmart does not increase wages, the costs will get passed to someone else.

If people cut back, then someone else loses money.
If people go homeless, then business suffer from homeless people scaring away customers.

There is no free lunch.

Someone is going to pay for it.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Problem these days is the vote machine having a adjust knob just inside the back door....and they assign the votes a decimal space down......to count higher.....but then at the last minute the manager denotes an interpretation of that decimal numeric confabulated amont,,!

Idk really

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Ah....pay no tention

Idk really
edit on 22-10-2018 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Everything in Walmart is made in China. Most of the produce, imported. Their pharmacies are propped up by Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements (as are most pharmacies). A huge chunk of their grocery profits come from food stamps. Trump has threatened all of those things. Walmart has a vested interest in not going out of business. Right now, their best hope are the Democrats, until they get in and bite the hand that feeds, as Big Government always does, and is presently doing.

Like the rest of the country--the 99%er's, Walmart is opportunistic....like the surf of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.

edit on 22-10-2018 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: napayshni57

I can't read that without a subscription
I don't see any store news--or any other type of news--option on Walmart's site; can you point me in the (nonsubscription) right direction?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I'll give you a star and flag for this post. It's good food for thought.

Was Walmart Inc. responsible for putting these up?

If so, why would Walmart Inc. have an interest in getting more people to vote?

As to the second question, as Phage pointed out, they've brib- er, I mean donated less than $2 million to political candidates. A sloppy Google search shows Walmart profits comfortably over $100 billion. They could probably find $2 million in the couch cushions of the corporate headquarters. Those "donations" most likely went to local politicians for favorable zoning and what-not. They obviously don't seem to have much of a preference for political party. I guess they figure it doesn't matter, they make their money either way.

That brings us to the first question, if Walmart didn't put the posters up, who did? And why?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   
My wife's store that she works at is finishing up a remod of the whole store.

I noticed a couple of nights ago when I was there to pick her up that they have those Vote stickers on the registers, plush a few little signs of it up here and there.

Funny thing is, I just mentioned this to her after seeing this thread and she said she hadn't even noticed them, lol.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Hmmn. Now I'm going to have to take a look at the registers next time I go. I'm super-curious about the whole thing; if they'll do it I'll have one of my guys ask their higher-ups what's the deal with them (the "vote" prompts). Which may or may not be helpful; my son works in the pharmacy, which isn't really part of Walmart even though it's located inside Walmart. Just out of curiosity, what part of the country are you in? Still wondering if it's a nation-wide thing or restricted to certain regions.
edit on 22-10-2018 by riiver because: Cuz I'm an idiot. Duh.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   

The only place I've seen the stickers is in the frozen food section. Central NY area.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   

We're in South Carolina.

I just browsed through Walmart's employ website and not really seeing anything about it. Normally there will be some news there about things that Walmart is promoting, but not seeing this get out and vote thing there.

Not really seeing anything sinister into it as Wally World does things here and there to try and appear active with the community.

Now I would be raising an eyebrow in Mr. Spock mode if the stickers were promoting a political party specifically.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

And again... so why do they contribute more money to the Republicans than the Democrats? Despite Trump's whining, he wants less regulation for the corporatocracy. And Walmart is well up there on the corporatocracy food chain, and benefits greatly from said deregulation.

Also, Walmart rules the rural areas (after crushing countless small businesses). Who is shopping at Walmart again? My guess is a whole lot of flag waving 'patriots' that sold themselves out the instant some cheap chinese junk came to town.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join