It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Democracy Quest: Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
US President Bush met with Russian President Vladimir Putin today on the last leg of his European Democracy Quest tour. Bush has openly criticized Putin for letting Russian democracy slide, while Putin says his restructuring is similar to the American Electoral College process.Russian journalists confronted Bush, saying America's democracy was faulty and that Bush should account for limits he imposed on Americans' personal freedoms. Russia needs US support to gain entry into the WTO; Bush needs Russia's support to go after Iran and North Korea.

www.appeal-democrat.com

President Bush and Russian President Vladimir Putin agreed Thursday on new efforts to keep nuclear arms out of dangerous hands, but their sharp differences over Russian backsliding on democracy spilled into an open and sometimes-prickly exchange.

...Putin compared his move to end direct popular election of regional governors to the American Electoral College process of electing presidents. "It's not considered undemocratic, is it?" Putin said.

Bush was challenged as well, fielding questions from Russian journalists doubting American democracy.

"I'm perfectly comfortable in telling you, our country is one that safeguards human rights and human dignity, and we resolve our disputes in a peaceful way," Bush said sharply.

Russian officials dislike what they see as U.S. meddling in their internal affairs and in former Soviet republics where Moscow's influence is waning as some new leaders look westward.

But just as Bush wants to protect a vital partnership on security issues, Putin walks a careful line because of his desire not to harm Russia's chances of membership in the World Trade Organization.

Bush and Putin said they were in unison on the importance of stopping suspected nuclear weapons programs in North Korea and Iran. They remained in disagreement over Russian arms sales to Syria, which the United States wants halted, said a senior administration official.

"Incensed by U.S. talk of a lack of press freedom in Russia, two Russian reporters tried to turn the tables on President Bush during his summit news conference with Vladimir Putin Thursday. ...the reporter then turned on Putin and demanded to know why he was not sticking up for Russian reporters by talking about violations of the rights of American journalists.

Earlier another reporter, for Russia's Kommersant daily which is often critical of Putin, said America's democracy was also faulty and Bush should account for some limits on personal freedoms imposed after the Sept 11, 2001 attacks."

Who Says We're Not Free?

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

On the surface, Bush's Democracy Quest tour went well. But diplomacy is all about making any conceivable situation look good. Things don't really look all that peachy below the surface.

Bush did get a commitment from NATO to train Iraq's new military. Putin agrees that Iran and North Korea should not have nuclear weapons - but all the agreements made on the tour sound like general agreements in principle, rather than specific agreements on policy.

More important, Bush does not have backing to clip China's wings, nor were any announcements made about financial backing for past or future US military expansion.

Bush may have horse traded away any legal obstacles to his future offensives, but he's on his own. Which means America is too. Which means American tax payers will foot the bill. Again. For another corporate free-for-all.

Democracy Quest: Europe

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
soficrow- what do you meant by cliping China's wings? I have to agree with your story. However, I'm thinkin Russia don't really care about Iran's nukes, in fact they are sure helping Iran gain the supplies needed for its so called nuke power project.
It is a sorry fact that we and our kids will have to pay for eight years of Bush.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dirk d
soficrow- what do you meant by cliping China's wings?

The EU has an arms embargo on China - and they're about to lift it. Bush was trying to get them to keep it place. No go.

I have to agree with your story. However, I'm thinkin Russia don't really care about Iran's nukes, in fact they are sure helping Iran gain the supplies needed for its so called nuke power project.

It's a trade off. Russia wants in to the WTO, and needs US support - Bush needs something on Iran to save face, seeing as he's not getting support to attack. ....So Russia gives Bush (modest) agreements on Iran; Bush supports Russia's entry into the WTO.

It is a sorry fact that we and our kids will have to pay for eight years of Bush.

Yup. ...But not just our kids - our grandkids will still be paying, probably even our great grandkids.

...The joke is, the USA's first woman president will have to raise taxes through the roof just to pay down the interest. She's being set up.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
soficrow- thanks for info, after looking into the eu goal to sell arms I'm seeing they have a good reason to for their own economic needs. Second power moves west, China will soon be the world power if not in someways now.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Soficrow you continue to amaze me with great posts. I hold the conviction that the concern of democracy in Russia has been overhyped by the Bush Administration and the Western Media as an excuse to slow the Russian bear's progress back to a respectable place on the world stage and to also make it follow the US on international issues or risk continued attacks and eventually forms of economic punishment.

The most undemocratic country in the west is the US. Europe, Japan, South Korea and Australia should all be raising concerns about that.

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 28-2-2005 by drfunk]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
I hold the conviction that the concern of democracy in Russia has been overhyped by the Bush Administration and the Western Media

I should have updated this yesterday - but better late than never:

Russia, Iran Sign Nuclear Deal

...Seems clear to me that Bush negotiated the terms for Iran to return the depleted uranium to Russia. IMO - there is a chance for diplomacy.

PS. Thanks DrD and dirk.

top topics

join