It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: 70 percent of Americans support 'Medicare for all' proposal

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Yeah, that needs to change. We currently should be enjoying $0.10 a gallon gas from all the American government held oil fields in Iraq... the problem is our leadership lacked testicles at the time we should have claimed those spoils.

So we'd save a dollar or two each fill-up for the 6~ trillion dollar wars?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JasonBillung
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I believe my overall tax rate is pretty low. You just have to be smart.

...so do those who need medical coverage. If they were smart like you, then they'd be able to pay their own bills, ya?

link   
a reply to: underwerks

Source please as to the amount of overhead in the Government vs private sector?

SSA and Medicare/Medicaid+ run about 1% vs 20% or higher for private seotor.

link   
a reply to: notsure1

You would rather your money go to make sure we can kill more of "those"people then save more Americans?

We're not killing anyone, we're freeing them from life.

Killing is when you have an abortion, and that's just f#@*ed up

link   
a reply to: Grambler

All I'm going to say about single-payer and socialized medicine.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I've actually said before that I would support a basic, low-level universal healthcare that people, as they can afford it, could add better policies on top of.

Well, I WOULD support it if I didn't know how government programs work, and the reality of our government is that they would never be happy with keeping the universal healthcare at a low level--they would always want to add to it until it ballooned out of control, much like everything else that it does.

Knowing how inept that our government is at administering its programs, I would never, EVER want it in charge of the one industry that has the job of keeping me alive.

And this is coming from a guy who, in the last 15 months, has had a shoulder surgery, partially torn a calf muscle, and then ruptured my Achilles tendon on the opposite leg and am currently 7.5 weeks out from recovering from that (just got the okay from the surgeon to get back into shoes this morning...hooray!). I have asthma and need daily and rescue inhalers, and I am currently in a regimen of massage therapy for headaches (not sure if the headaches or the massages hurt more).

And I'm only 39, but I get the costs of medical care, to include my wife with fibromyalgia and other health issues and my injury-prone athlete of a teenage son.

I still would not prefer that the government handle all of that in order to reduce the cost for me, because I have always been able to get medical care quickly, efficiently, and things done well and with attentive doctors. I don't need that system jacked with more than the PPACA already has.

And I would question how knowledgeable the respondents are concerning the details of such a proposal--on the surface it sounds neat, but the devils are in the details.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

...so do those who need medical coverage. If they were smart like you, then they'd be able to pay their own bills, ya?

Like I am most likely paying yours? Hey, I can cover you. I make bank...

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

How come every other modern nation can do medicine at a lower cost than the US? Am I missing something? I pay $18,000 a year for my family of four (dental and eyes included). We are all pretty healthy, so we don't use it much. But we in the US spend the most, and are about average in outcomes. Some Sh*thole countries have lower infant mortality than the US. What is going on?

Lawsuits and regulations. According to this link it takes 3-5 people to keep up with paperwork per doctor.www.aafp.org...

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Jason79

Once again, how can every other country do it, but American can't?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

a reply to: CriticalStinker

Yeah, that needs to change. We currently should be enjoying $0.10 a gallon gas from all the American government held oil fields in Iraq... the problem is our leadership lacked testicles at the time we should have claimed those spoils.

So we'd save a dollar or two each fill-up for the 6~ trillion dollar wars?

A "dollar or two?" No, I have no idea what you drive, but I'd save upwards of $85 every fill up if gas was $0.10 a gallon. That would equal out to somewhere around $6,000 a year for me. Extrapolate that out across, say 100,000,000 American drivers/households and the country has just saved $600 Billion a year. In 10 years that $6 Trillion war (even considering your gross embellishment of the price tag) is paid for. Money well spent.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: rickymouse
No expensive meds either, just generic and some preapproved necessary meds.
Isn't that where your famous "Death panels' kick in?

Yup, once some government bureaucrat determines a 90 year grandpa doesn't need a new hip as his "lifetime value or contribution" has been exceeded, you can send him out to pasture...

Don't forget the other end where little Andy can't have the required procedure because he's just a baby and it will be too many years before he can expect to be a contributing member of society to make the risk and expense worthwhile. That end of the spectrum exists too.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

My mistake. I misread what you originally posted and though you meant take ten cents off each gallon.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Nobody has ever paid jack snip for me, except for me. I assure you that.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

For one thing, we end up subsidizing those other countries through our prescription drug prices.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: rickymouse
No expensive meds either, just generic and some preapproved necessary meds.
Isn't that where your famous "Death panels' kick in?

Yup, once some government bureaucrat determines a 90 year grandpa doesn't need a new hip as his "lifetime value or contribution" has been exceeded, you can send him out to pasture...

Don't forget the other end where little Andy can't have the required procedure because he's just a baby and it will be too many years before he can expect to be a contributing member of society to make the risk and expense worthwhile. That end of the spectrum exists too.

Source? Or just made this up...?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

a reply to: underwerks

Source please as to the amount of overhead in the Government vs private sector?

SSA and Medicare/Medicaid+ run about 1% vs 20% or higher for private seotor.

Contrary to claims made by John Goodman and Thomas Saving in an earlier Health Affairs Blog post, non-partisan data from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) and the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) demonstrate definitively that private insurance is increasingly less efficient than Medicare.

Link

A few studies have noted the outsize administrative costs of US hospitals, but no research has compared these costs across multiple nations with various types of health care systems. We assembled a team of international health policy experts to conduct just such a challenging analysis of hospital administrative costs across eight nations: Canada, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Germany, the Netherlands, and the United States.

We found that administrative costs accounted for 25.3 percent of total US hospital expenditures—a percentage that is increasing. Next highest were the Netherlands (19.8 percent) and England (15.5 percent), both of which are transitioning to market-oriented payment systems. Scotland and Canada, whose single-payer systems pay hospitals global operating budgets, with separate grants for capital, had the lowest administrative costs.

Link

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Nobody has ever paid jack snip for me, except for me. I assure you that.

So you payed for every road you have drove on, every teacher salary in school, every cop who patrols your city, every soldier (including me) who ever served, and the Apollo missions?

Yeah, ehm, right dude.

Just be happy that I pay your way.
edit on 22-10-2018 by JasonBillung because: sp

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Every other country isn't:

1) 330 million people
2) Playing world police and thus has to fund a massive military and get rid of every tin pot dictator since no other country steps up the plate
3) Encouraging illegal immigration of poor and unskilled immigrants who wind up sucking on the teet either directly or indirectly
4) Diverse population with many different cultural needs and norms
5) Half the population paying nothing in income taxes

A nordic country is literally the size of a large American city, a state at best. It simply isn't apples to apples. What may work on a small scale for a homogeneous population isn't necessarily going to work on a country as large and diverse as America.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JasonBillung

Paid gas taxes and property taxes for road bonds, my kids are homeschooled (and I was between home and private school growing up, so...), my local cops are worthless as tits on a bull and do nothing to combat crime in my neighborhood, so that money's pissed out the window as it is, thank you for your service, and WTF did the Apollo missions do for me beyond providing a somewhat entertaining Tom Hanks movie?

You can feel free to take whatever money you *think* you're paying for me, roll it into a tight cylinder, and jam it straight up you significant other's saving account... I won't miss it because I've never seen nor benefitted from it. I earn my way in this life and it's the reason I'd be alright with sitting back and watching the world burn around me. Wouldn't impact me in the slightest.
edit on 22-10-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated
Agree. So we should stop doing stupid things with our money?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join