It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-Verify

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I am really wondering why we don't enforce the E-Verify system.

The system works like this: AN employer registers though a web portal. When new employees come to work, the employer has them fill out a web-based form. They give their name, SSN, and date of birth. The system returns "Yes," you can legally work in the US, or "No," there is a problem. If it is no, the employee can go to the local Social Security office to find out what the problem is.

This should be a major issue in our upcoming elections. Please ask your local, state, and federal officials where they stand on E-Verify being mandatory.

The system is already up and running. You paid for it as a taxpayer. Let's use it!

If folks come to this country they come here to work. If there is no work, they will stay at home.

Rich folks get here anyway, and they do not stress our system. Poor folks do.

Is this something that the left and right can both get behind? I hope so.

Please let me know what you think. This could solve many problems in our country - and remember - it might cause us to look at reforming our immigration system in a way that helps everyone. Are you for legal employment, or for the system we currently have?

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JasonBillung

Ever heard of the " Black Economy " ?

Crooked employers take on dodgy employees. Immigrants are usually the main workforce. Cash -In-Hand ,no questions asked.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Ever heard of the " Black Economy " ?

Crooked employers take on dodgy employees. Immigrants are usually the main workforce. Cash -In-Hand ,no questions asked.

Yeah, I did some work as a teen "under the table." Worked in a few fields, did some farm work, cut some grass and did some construction. But Almost everyone grows up, has to fill out a W-2 and go legit. Why not make employers follow the laws, like most good American do? The system is already in place. Why can't we use it?

I think it would solve many problems we are currently trying to work out. Can the left and right agree that we should follow the laws? Then we could maybe make some sensible reforms that allow skilled workers into our country when we can't find US citizens to fill jobs. I heard that welders are in short supply in Texas, so they hire illegals. Why not make a guest worker program to fill the need?

Pay taxes, have less illegals, everyone wins. Everyone does it legally. Let me know the downside.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Worker suppression.... (that's a joke since all I seem to hear about lately from coworkers is all about voter suppression)

Jokes aside. How secure is this system? I've never heard of it. How long has it been around? Who passed it?

A2D

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Didn't the guy who killed that girl a couple months back get cleared for his job in the US through everify?

I use it in my shop. Its a seal of approval from Uncle Sam, making me free from harassment from ICE.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree
Worker suppression.... (that's a joke since all I seem to hear about lately from coworkers is all about voter suppression)

Jokes aside. How secure is this system? I've never heard of it. How long has it been around? Who passed it?

A2D

Source

E-Verify is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. E-Verify employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). E-Verify is a voluntary program. However, employers with federal contracts or subcontracts that contain the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause are required to enroll in E-Verify as a condition of federal contracting. Employers may also be required to participate in E-Verify if their states have legislation mandating the use of E-Verify, such as a condition of business licensing. Finally, in some instances employers may be required to participate in E-Verify as a result of a legal ruling. E-Verify, which is available in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, is currently the best means available to electronically confirm employment eligibility.

I helped to build this system in 2007-2008. It is run from a web portal out of Homeland Security but links to SSA data (Numident file containing 600 million records of US citizens who have been in the SSA database).

It is fully functional, and has been stable for 10 years. I don't think it would need an upgrade to handle a greater traffic.

We paid for it, why not use it?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Thanks brother. Nice to see that good Americans are taking advantage of the stuff the Government builds.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
all they really have to do is make the fine larger otherwise its just the cost of doing buisness

make it so getting cought cost you 33% of your company and see who is willing to risk that for a small boast in profits

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I helped to build this system in 2007-2008....

....We paid for it, why not use it?

If you helped develop it then nobody here is going to be more familiar and intimate with the program than yourself... so... do us a favor and use that deeper knowledge on the topic to answer that question for yourself.

Surely it has some pitfalls.... somewhere... there's gotta be a reason... and who better than to figure it out than a guy that helped make it... right?

edit on 22-10-2018 by MarkOfTheV because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

Some of these companies are mostly out for the bottom line, and I can't blame them. But could we set up a system where business folks don't have to break the law to make a buck?

We need labor to grow our economy. Can't we set something up to take advantage of migrant labor that does not involve breaking the law?

I think we can. We are Americans. We are pretty smart, when we need to be.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

My main issue with it is because of seeing a possible similar situation as what happened at the IRS. With the government having the sole authority to issue SSN's and the sole authority to verify employability there is a LOT of room for abuse.

I believe this is the reason why Congress has so many differing opinions of the years on it.

If there were some sort of check and balance system that was beyond reproach then I would say it would be a good start.

I know some use it already, but it isnt infallible at this point. It would have to be very regularly updated with employment statuses and only be a portion of the actual employment check unless it was somehow able to be tied into criminal records databases worldwide.

Regardless of what is done, someone will always find a way around it.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV

I helped to build this system in 2007-2008....

....We paid for it, why not use it?

If you helped develop it then nobody here is going to be more familiar and intimate with the program than yourself... so... do us a favor and use that deeper knowledge on the topic to answer that question for yourself.

Surely it has some pitfalls.... somewhere... there's gotta be a reason... and who better than to figure it out than a guy that helped make it... right?

I developed a system from a technical perspective, not a political one. All that we need to do is make this a priority for our elected officials. I am sure many of the congress folks don't want anyone talking about E-Verify right now, because many of their big fund-raisers might be using illegal labor.

What do you want to know about the technical aspect of the project? It is pretty straight forward. A web page makes a request to SSA's numident file to return a "Yes," a "NO" or a "dead" (also a no). They have a dedicated point to point fibre connection. Pretty much a simple query.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Didn't the guy who killed that girl a couple months back get cleared for his job in the US through everify?

I use it in my shop. Its a seal of approval from Uncle Sam, making me free from harassment from ICE.

You are correct, this system only confirms that the identity provided is verified to work in the US. An immigrant simply uses an alternate identity that is stolen or even just another actual family members identity who is a citizen.

It basically is a tool for employers to use in an attempt to prove that they should not be held liable. Thus, all employers should use it but it really does not stop illegals from working.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

You are correct that the system is not infallable. You have to put your name in exactly like it appears on your SSN record. Middle name or initial. If you get a "NO," you have to do a visit (or call) to your local Social Security office to figure out the problem.

If you are in the SSA's system, you should be fine. If you are not, you will most likely want to get that corrected as soon as possible, and not wait till you retire and have to hassle with it then.

I have worked with SSA on several projects, and never met anyone who wanted to abuse the system. Most of the people I worked with were technical folks who just wanted to make the IT systems work in the best way possible. I never heard anyone talking about how to abuse the system for personal or political gain.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

My sister is a teacher. In her spare time she does billing for a small trucking company. I built their billing and payroll platform for them recently in exchange for a boat trailer (rednecks doing redneck stuff....)

Considering what it would cost them to hire someone to run everify and maintain employee records of that level...it would be an additional 50k/year.

There is a reason smaller businesses don't do this stuff. There has to be someone being paid to do the work. An enterprising truck driver likely isn't going to think about it as a risk...its just not in their wheelhouse.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

The problem with stealing an identity is that you wind up with multiple people reporting to the same SSN. This is pretty easy to catch. If you are reporting to an SSN in multiple states or locations, and it is in excess of the number of hours in a week (168) then it is physically impossible to avoid detection. SSA runs programs to detect abuse, and it is reported to congress through OMB. However, SSA only has limited enforcement for fraud, waste and abuse, and uses their manpower to go after over payments, disability fraud and folks receiving checks for dead relatives. They don't really care about OVERPAYMENTS by illegals right now. Maybe you should let your representatives know that you are concerned about this type of fraud. Even though it generally benefits US citizens by putting money into the SSA system.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Yeah it's just really not as simple as you're making it out. I get that there is a system in place, but to be confused as why it isn't being used proves that you've been in front of a computer in a cushy air conditioned office for far too long.

I question the stability of a "web portal" once its gets bungholed by thousands and thousands of users. And when these supposed users get a "no", then what? They just give up? Or will they flood the social security office?

Well... all those public offices are ALREADY flooded and wrapped around the door with people on a daily basis. Many of them being non-english speakers with little to no idea about what kinda system they have to operate in in order to be "legal".

Lots of hoops to jump through.

Meanwhile... lawns still need to be mowed, trees still need to be trimmed, houses still need to be built, and none of the people operating in those industries give a sh!t or are even aware that this system exists. Nor would they use it, because very few white boys will get 30 feet up in a tree at the price of some from the day labor outpost.

Bottom line... hiring illegals is PROFITABLE. Having thousands stand in line for forms is not. That's why your system isn't being used.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Thanks for the information. I'm at work so have limited access...

But as far as using it, I don't see why not. I wouldn't make it mandatory or anything but I feel like money shouldnt be wasted.

Do you know how this would work for farmers? I come from a small farming community in SW Missouri in which we regularly hired temporary seasonal workers without regards...

Are for this being mandatory or.... maybe just for state and federal employers?

A2D

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

I disagree. The system is not being used because it is not required.

I imagine you had to fill out a W-2 to work where ever you work. It would take about another 30 seconds to check if you can legally work in the US. No big administrative burden. The E-Verify system was stress tested in 2008. It can handle about 100,000 queries a day. Considering that the economy only add about 300,000 jobs a month, I am certain the system will be ok. If not, we just up the capacity on the system.

I would like to know where you are getting your information about SSA offices being "flooded." Just not true.

Additionally, if you do live in an area where SSA foot traffic is so high, why don't you talk to your elected officials about increasing the people who do customer service? You do know that SSA has lost over 10,000 filed office workers in the last 15 years because of congressional budget cuts, don't you?

As for you ad hominum about me working in an air-conditioned office behind a computer - yeah - I do IT. Would you expect that I work in a mud-filled ditch behind a shovel?

And yes, I agree that many Americans do break the law to make money. Drug dealers, pimps, etc. And the many criminals who knowingly hire illegals. Feel better now?
edit on 22-10-2018 by JasonBillung because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
What's going to stop employers from hiring them and finding ways around it even with that system? They already do. There's lots of ways to pay employees off the books. The kinds of employers that do this aren't going to stop because of some kind of verification system. They already know what they're doing....

I've seen businesses pay to bring people illegally, place them into properties they own, illegally deduct rent from their paycheques and basically have themselves a group of slaves that don't technically exist who have no idea what's even happening.
edit on 22/10/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join