It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is online activity hurting your real life relationships ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It seems to be that more and more people, of all age groups, are spending more time online, with gaming, social media and interacting on sites such as ATS.

For some it is bordering on addiction to the point that they will become extremely agitated and anxious if they lose their online connection. This is despite having real family around that they could be paying attention to.

How many kids aren’t getting the attention they really need because mom is on Facebook and dad is playing video games ?
How many marriages have turned into a dry cracked vessel, where it once was a vessel of love because of the preoccupation of online relationships instead of working on the real life relationship ?

I don’t think social media or sites like these are a bad thing, but I do think people really need to re-evaluate what relationships they put a majority of their time into. Talk to your real life loved ones in an in depth way, and don’t forget to tell them you love them on a daily basis. Show that love by being available for them, and caring for them in the little ways.

I’m sure any of you who attend family dinners, and sadly see a few members with their noses constantly in their phones know what I’m talking about.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye
It seems to be that more and more people, of all age groups, are spending more time online, with gaming, social media and interacting on sites such as ATS.

For some it is bordering on addiction to the point that they will become extremely agitated and anxious if they lose their online connection. This is despite having real family around that they could be paying attention to.

How many kids aren’t getting the attention they really need because mom is on Facebook and dad is playing video games ?
How many marriages have turned into a dry cracked vessel, where it once was a vessel of love because of the preoccupation of online relationships instead of working on the real life relationship ?

I don’t think social media or sites like these are a bad thing, but I do think people really need to re-evaluate what relationships they put a majority of their time into. Talk to your real life loved ones in an in depth way, and don’t forget to tell them you love them on a daily basis. Show that love by being available for them, and caring for them in the little ways.

I’m sure any of you who attend family dinners, and sadly see a few members with their noses constantly in their phones know what I’m talking about.

I guess the less responses the better we're doing ? I won't have a smart phone , cause when I go anywhere all I see is a head behind the back of a phone and I don't want to go there.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
No, I always go home and sit with my better half and talk until I can tell she is bored or is done talking herself. Then I go do my thing. If you have priorities straight then it doesn't become an issue.

If you like the internet more than your spouse or loved ones, I am not sure what to say other than you might just suck at life.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracytheoristIAM

I guess the less responses the better we're doing ? I won't have a smart phone , cause when I go anywhere all I see is a head behind the back of a phone and I don't want to go there.

It’s one thing to have your focus on your phone when you are alone, but it’s a whole other equation when you are doing it in the midst of company. I can understand answering a quick text, but c’mom if you are out for lunch with a friend... talk to the friend !

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
No, I always go home and sit with my better half and talk until I can tell she is bored or is done talking herself. Then I go do my thing. If you have priorities straight then it doesn't become an issue.

If you like the internet more than your spouse or loved ones, I am not sure what to say other than you might just suck at life.

Very refreshing to read this post. So happy you are focused on priorities and I’m sure your wife is also .😁

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

If it wasn't for online, I'd be talking to myself more than I already do

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

But you’re single and not a father... big difference ! I’m am referring to people who are neglecting their spouses or children, or other folks they should be engaging with in real life.

I’m single and live alone, so I’m not hurting anyone by spending a lot of time online. Yes, it breaks the boredom.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

edit on 21-10-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Sorry, I didn't mean to go off-topic, Sheye

edit on 21-10-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

But you’re single and not a father... big difference ! I’m am referring to people who are neglecting their spouses or children, or other folks they should be engaging with in real life.

I’m single and live alone, so I’m not hurting anyone by spending a lot of time online. Yes, it breaks the boredom.

I think everyone is affected, doesn't have to be families.

I feel hurt anytime I try to talk to someone but they don't know how to talk back.

Just my humble opinion.

Not sure what you mean NB.🤔 You feel hurt in real life or in cyber world , when others don’t know how to talk to you.

Sorry you feel that way.😕

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off-topic, Sheye

Didn’t really see it as off topic , but it is for the mods to call.

Lets get back to communication with others.

I value the connectivity and communication online relationships have to offer, but I sometimes think some people put too much focus on cyber activity , and we have forgotten how to nurture real life relationships.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

edit on 10.21.2018 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Yes she does appreciate it. Don't get me wrong though - like all humans we have difficult times. And there have been times that we neglected eachother in the last 22 or so years of our relationship. But we both grew up over time and realized that a team needs to know the team members goals or problems or whatever is going on in general to be a good team. So we make sure and give time to eachother every single day. It is a good thing to do and it alleviates alot of misunderstanding that occurs naturally if mates do not communicate.

Same goes for our children (whenever possible because they are sometimes like corralling cats.)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I think some of it is also age connected. Speaking in very general terms, I notice older people, that I see in restaurants are all talking to each other, while younger people are all staring at their phones. I'm 54 and we did not grow up with this technology. It's not that we don't embrace the advance in Communications, it's that unlike today we did not have a cell phone or an iPad from the time we were eight years old and so it's not quite as important to us.
We stay connected to people by actually talking to them . Are cell phones and social media Convenient, yes... necessary? Meh.
I was almost 40 years old before I even had a cell phone .

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Hubby and I just got back from the grandsons birthday party.
7 or 8 of the kids 8 or older, where either on phones, or hand held games.
Several of the adults were on phones.

I couldn't believe it.
What the heck is the point of having a party?

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I couldn't believe it. What the heck is the point of having a party?

I agree.😕 It’s rather sad, isn’t it ?

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Very!
It wasn't "my" family, but the families of my grandsons moms. If it would have been my family, or the hubbies, I would have said something.
I'm know as "that Aunt" at our functions. I give people crap about their phones, I get down and play with the little ones, and drive the teens crazy by making them actually talk to me.

LOL

edit on 21-10-2018 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I'm 35 and don't have a smart phone intentionally.

It has destroyed all of us.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join