It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking Up for the Future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I will not lie, I am a massive nerd when it comes to space. I find that vast, black ocean above us fascinating. The secrets that it hides are tantalizing to ponder over a glass of coffee. Yet, everyone does not share my fascination with that great stretch of darkness. Our exploration of this new sea been tentative at best, like a child unwilling to leave it's mother's warmth. We should be actively pursuing a destiny out there instead of staying firmly planted here for a multitude of reasons. The biggest reason is to make sure the extinction of the species is avoided, and a major colonization effort of the Moon and Mars would help preserve our future.

There are also resources in abundance that are rare here on Terra Firma. An industrial expansion into the stars would be a major benefit for all. Think about how much ice just floats around beyond our reach, ice that could be used to help mitigate our water problems here on Earth. The mind staggers to comprehend all that we could achieve, if we would only look up to the future.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: BenignChaos
The main drive behind any animal’s existence is to ‘ensure the longevity of the species’.

It’s a one hundred percent fact that our star WILL run short of hydrogen, lose mass, expand and become a red giant before collapsing into a white dwarf. And when that time comes, which it will, this planet will no longer be adequate to support us. If it’s even here at all.

Leaving the planet and colonising the galaxy is an absolute must if we are to avoid extinction. Which I’m sure is a goal of every human. I like to think we can avoid it long enough to see the expansion of the universe rip itself apart in a few hundred billion years from now.

And there’s NO reason we shouldn’t be able to do that.

We OWE it to our ancestors and to our descendants to spend time and energy taking the first tentative steps into space travel. The first steps HAVE to be taken if the journey is going to be successful.

Even those who don’t share in your fascination with the cosmos must surely understand we HAVE to venture out there. This planet is going to be uninhabitable LOOOONG before we’re ready for extinction.

Imagine if this was the common goal of all humans. Imagine ZERO dollars, time, resources and efforts going into military endeavours or ridiculous religious persuits and being used instead for this noble cause.

But I must admit, I feel very sorry for whoever we encounter out there. They probably aren’t ready for our ‘ways’.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Breakthestreak

I am appreciative that you share the same way of thinking about this as I do. It is hard to explain to most people how important it is for us to become a multi-planet species. The vast majority doesn't look toward the long term, instead sticking to the short term for their own reasons.

Not only would having offworld colonies ensure the survival of us and our knowledge, but the survival of many plants and animals if we bring their DNA along with us. Sadly it seems we are digging our own grave.

Thank you for fueling my urge to educate the public about the benefits of space travel and colonization.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 04:44 AM
link   
If humans worked together rather than pulling each others hair every five minutes, we would already be out in space and discovering new worlds and civilisations, boldy going.....

While I agree that we NEED to get out and spread our seed so to speak to other worlds, there is too much conflict and anger running through out veins to achieve this. We would HAVE to work together. sadly we can't.

I too often sit with my coffee and look at the sky and wonder what is really out there. The black sea above us is so vast it boggles the mind.
Is there another person on another planet somewhere out there, sat with a cup of coffee thinking the same thing as us?

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: rhynouk

It is a shame, isn't it? We could be the creators of a Solar system of beautiful worlds, all filled with life and peace. Yet petty differences hold us back and keep our feet here on Earth.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   
If it weren't for wars and political altercations that drain the countries' budgets, we would have been having permanent bases on Mars by now.

Imagine if DoD's and NASA's budgets were swapped around. Imagine there was full and unlimited collaboration with Russia, India, China, and Europe.

Then, a lot of what you see in the short film "Wanderers" would be a reality.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The universe is both wondrous, and humbling.

I like to think that the human race's destiny is to move beyond this insignificant spec we call home.

Am I the only one that feels sadness at the fact I will not live long enough to see it, and have so many questions answered?

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

I too feel sad that I will not witness our colonization of the planets and stars, but it is a wonderful tome to be alive. Every new discovery we make is history and we are living to see it being made.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: secretariat

Please stay on the topic at hand. This is not the proper place to dispute bans. Take it up with the admins. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Nice op. I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately it's a minority view. Most people just don't give a # about anything beyond the day to day. For ordinary people an argument for doing anything for 'the species' is the ravings of a madman. It's why we aren't going anywhere.

top topics

join