It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compassion

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavage

but wretched and the meek gather their hearts and go, their hearts being us. why dont you study your songs better?

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   

I don't know man, sometimes compassion is thinking 'it can happen to me' which puts us on level with the focus of the compassion. In that sense, feeling better off isn't always the same as 'better than.'

It's a tricky topic to agree terms to with people seeing things so differently. Altruism, empathy and compassion are concepts I value, but they're negative qualities in the eyes of others. This is the age where good deeds are scorned as 'virtue signalling.' Charity is selfish or self-serving. Tough times when disagreements are so endemic. All of these perspectives are rational which can make discussions inconclusive and divisive.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I think the thread about Ontogenesis today i see on board may be related. I sometimes think oh am i good enough to feel that way..like compassionate? can this good feeling be really mine? So i say whatever the source of that good feeling is, i think it is wiser better and gentle.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Damla

Depends, do you take medicine?

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

dont you?

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I rejected Pinocchio's medicine.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I am sure she can give you another chance.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I will give that a pass. Goodnight and Farewell.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I'd say compassion, empathy are wonderful traits to have and cultivate, but should never be mandated or become policy.

edit on 21-10-2018 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I'd say compassion, empathy are wonderful traits to have and cultivate, but should never be mandated or become policy.

An interesting take, although I don't understand what made you politicize such a wonderful, well meaning thread.
What made you think of that?

Do you think it has indeed become 'mandated'?

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

see you tomorrow athlon. have a nice sleep.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Of course it's become politicized.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Truly compassionate people will quench the thirst of one in immediate need...but out of true compassion they will withhold the next sip and instead teach them on how they can provide themselves their own water.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

a reply to: angeldoll

Of course it's become politicized.

Hm. I was referring to politicizing this thread, not necessarily compassion.

Having compassion and empathy is very human, and indicative of a healthy ego and personality. Those who lack it (a minority, I think) typically have some type damage to the ego or personality, and are not psychologically healthy. The majority must prevail. Evil and self-importance can be contagious.

There was a woman long ago, who had been a teacher in a small school for thirty-odd years. When she became too old and ill to work, she left the school, and was later discovered by the townspeople living in a chicken-coop. It was this woman's situation that gave birth to the concept of "social security". Surely, there might have been those who resented paying the tax, but the compassionate majority prevailed. To this day, it remains as an act of compassion, and still there are those who resent having to pay the tax. Thank goodness for the 'moral majority", which I suppose by your standards, is something that is being "forced" on those who lack compassion and empathy.

It's Mercy. Showing Mercy is a good thing, even for those who "feel" nothing.

Evil can be contagious. (From Pope Fransis's twitter)

edit on 10/21/2018 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'm having a holiday from politics and can't really answer your point. 4 weeks and counting!

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

You might want to rethink that statement...

On what basis does one implement “ policy”

A policy is how human society is ruled… If not compassion and empathy at its roots, then what?

For empathy is what makes us human and compassion is what can make us divine.

Alas then, if not human and divine then inhuman and demonic is at the other side of this equation

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Compassion can only exist between enemies.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Compassion and understanding could make this world a much better place and it is a great medicine against ones own bitterness.

I think understanding what a soul is doing and measuring if it cause suffering or not is the best help to minimize all suffering. If a soul knows it will receive the mirror of it's action then souls quickly become very concerned about doing no harm to others.

The feeling of real Oneness with other comes from knowing the being around you are not fake manipulating people. But that feeling become rare on a level of awareness of human society. Many times the cry for compassion is used as emotional manipulation to not allow logical discernment.
edit on 21-10-2018 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AthlonSavage

compassion is the mask over feeling sorry and sorry is the mask over self importance that you are better off than the wretch you feel compassion for.
Self important people have volumes of compassion and will careers as politicians, Philanthropists etc etc as vehicles to dish out their compassion which is really just their own self important egos.

Pity isn't compassion

I feel your pain is not the same thing as saying: you are pathetic because of your pain

Rich people, politicians, philanthropists are just people. They can be as compassionate as poor people or anyone really. It's only the ability to care - nothing more or less

top topics

<< 1   >>

join