It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ubuntu 18.10 IS Ready For Download.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku

Say goodbye to viruses and spyware.. and Big Brother Microsoft.

I don't see any reason to use Linux other than some nerdish bragging rights.
nobody gets virus' anymore, and nobody is spying on you.

You are really un-informed.
I have worked in IT for centuries now, and Windows 10 is just a GIANT Spam engine.
As for not getting viruses... we have had entire companies brought to their knees with
encryption attacks.

Also the feature updates for Windows 10 are deplorable.. with each successive update Windows 10 sinks lower and lower in performance and reliability.. To the point now that i hate using it..

To be honest its just sh1t.. and getting sh1tt1er.
edit on Sun, 21 Oct 2018 11:08:11 -05000811America/ChicagoSunday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

I've had Win10 on a mid-range laptop for two years and haven't had any problems. Nearly everything in the settings is switched off and there's nothing at all intruding on how I want the laptop to behave.

Ubuntu was my main OS for a while (Jackalope to Ringtail) and I enjoyed it for the most part. The off-putting final straw was having to search for an apt-get for something really minor. IIRC it was something like an MKV file player...not sure.

People who love Ubuntu are like, "Hmmmm I need an apt-get. Great! I'll do it right away!" People who don't want to do that are like, "Ahhh f***, I need an apt-get. Dammit. I'll have to go and find it!!"

Win10 and Ubuntu have their own problems and it's personal preference which wins the day. Whatever...I'll burn the latest live disc and see if it suits later this week.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: rigel4

I've had Win10 on a mid-range laptop for two years and haven't had any problems. Nearly everything in the settings is switched off and there's nothing at all intruding on how I want the laptop to behave.

Ubuntu was my main OS for a while (Jackalope to Ringtail) and I enjoyed it for the most part. The off-putting final straw was having to search for an apt-get for something really minor. IIRC it was something like an MKV file player...not sure.

People who love Ubuntu are like, "Hmmmm I need an apt-get. Great! I'll do it right away!" People who don't want to do that are like, "Ahhh f***, I need an apt-get. Dammit. I'll have to go and find it!!"

Win10 and Ubuntu have their own problems and it's personal preference which wins the day. Whatever...I'll burn the latest live disc and see if it suits later this week.

There is a solution to the apt-get issue. Learn to install from source code. It's very easy most are already compiled to .deb or .rpm packages anyway, so you can just download the file and install w/o needing to add the repository etc. If you want it to continually update the software you will need to find the repository or request that Cannonical add it to their universal list.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: mockingmay

You can also install Windows programs running a virtual machine under Linux. I find it is not needed thought, any program you need can be found for Linux. It just takes time to learn them sometimes.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I use Windows 10 for Oculus and a few very high-end games that will not run under Linux. I've also added Rainmeter for additional UI *flair.

For software in Ubuntu you can install snaps, flatpaks, and appimages if you cannot find what you are looking for using apt-get, software center, or synaptic package manager. Some of the software I have installed are from source and usually from Gitlab or Github. Give the latest release a try. You can use rufus to burn it to a USB stick and simply boot the thumb drive to try it.

Edited to add that you can use PPA's in Ubuntu/Debian if the software isn't found in the standard (apt-get) repositories.

Slightly off topic, If you prefer Arch Linux (Arch, Manjaro, etc..) you can install yay or yaourt package managers for additional software.
edit on 10/21/2018 by mockingmay because: Added links and additional information.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Like the discussion we are having .. its so refreshing to be talking about
OS's rather than the Politics of the day.

I like your comments both positive and negative about Linux....

I would point out to anyone who has used Linux in the past and maybe fell away,
That most of the major Distro's are really starting to come of age now.
Ubuntu and Manjaro .. there is nothing between them for me, Ubuntu has for the familiarity
that keeps me there instead of Manjaro which is also bloody excellent.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
For those that don't know you can install Windows (any version) inside of Linux by running a virtual machine. It basically runs Windows as a program within Linux, so you have a program window called "Windows 7 machine", or whatever, and inside that window is everything that would be on a normal windows machine - all the programs you could want to install and run.

Virtual machines have so many advantages, especially when using Windows OS because it makes creating backups so easy and rolling back systems to before a problem happened.

Conversely you can do the exact same thing in Windows by running VBox or any other virtualization tool.

I have 3 or 4 different distros of Linux running that way inside WIndows. I know Linux fanboys will come at me with "that isnt secure" but if people can get past your edge then you already have problems.

Each OS does things well and doesnt do things well. Better to figure out what a specific user has from a requirements perspective and run with that.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Reply to: opethPA and LookingAtMars
Linux runs very well under Windows in Virtualbox. Work requires Windows and I have Ubuntu installed in Virtualbox using 2 of my 3 monitors. My setup at work raises a lot of eyebrows. I've also tested Windows 10 in KVM (Qemu) in Linux and I have several distributions of Linux and BSD installed for sh*ts and giggles.

Reply to: rigel4
It is very refreshing to see a topic like Linux being discussed. The political climate is offputting lately and I rarely post but I'm always lurking.
edit on 10/21/2018 by mockingmay because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I would just like to thank you all for a civil discussion .. And I am here
to help with your computer questions if need be.

I don't know everything, but if i can help you I will.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join