It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The administration's withdrawal from world affairs causing chaos, says ex-NATO chief.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Fascinating report from none other than CNBC.

Anders Fogh Rasmussen, former head of NATO who has also served as Denmark's prime minister, says:

"There is only the United States with the global reach to act as someone who could restore international law and order," Anders Fogh Rasmussen told CNBC's Silvia Amaro in Brussels Monday.

He goes on to say:

However, of course right now it seems a bit difficult because the U.S. president has, so to speak, retreated. He has withdrawn from world affairs and that is why we see all that chaos right now. The world needs leadership and only Americans can provide that leadership."

Rasmussen "has previously said the U.S. is the only country with the 'material and moral greatness' to foster peace and prevent a slide into political chaos."

I say, GOOD! Let 'em suck it up.

I'm glad to see a president concerning himself with taking care of his the people who elected him first. If NATO and/or the rest of the world wants the US to "foster peace and prevent a slide into political chaos," let them foot their share of the bill and realize that if the US has the "material and moral greatness" to take the lead, they need to le the US lead on its own terms.

Expecting the US to be the errand boy of a world gone mad ... Nope!

More commentary below ...
:
edit on 2018 10 20 by incoserv because: I forgot the link.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Rasmussen also said:

In the meantime, I think (Europe) has the responsibility to give a platform to Americans who want American global leadership. And we should also — from the European side — do more to help the Americans exercise that leadership.

Political analyst Ian Bremmer warned the world was entering a "geopolitical recession." He also stated at the ANZ Finance & Treasury Form in Singapore:

The Americans are less interested in exporting democracy ... Today there is an argument to be made that the Americans are exporting populism,"

First, it's well past time that the US stopped "exporting democracy." Most of the countries that have been recipients of American hegemonic democracy over the last 20 years were not ready for democracy, or were not culturally adapted to it.

As to exporting "populism," I doubt that. If populism is gaining ground, it's the fault of the damned elite politicians who have isolated and alienated themselves from the populace.

And if folks want the US to lead, they need to let the US lead (and, as I've said, help foot the bill), or just leave the US alone and let things fall where they may.
:
edit on 2018 10 20 by incoserv because: I could.

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

So all of Europe wants the US to get out of their affairs, Trump does it, and they complain.

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Maybe what he really means is "we need the US financial and military backing so we can control our populations better because they are starting to resent being ruled despotically / autocratically and seek a legitimate representative government that doesn't squander their wealth or cultural heritage against their wishes".

Hmmmm

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Maybe it will END some of the chaos and corruption.

💥😎💥

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

So all of Europe wants the US to get out of their affairs, Trump does it, and they complain.

Exactly what I'm sayin'!

Either look to the US for leadership, let it lead and take on some of the cost of fixing things, or shut the hell up, let the US tend its own house and deal with the chaos in yours.

The last administration was trying to make every one happy but the citizens of this country. The current one is, IMO, saying, "Screw everyone else, I was hired to take care of America and Americans," And that's a problem for some people.

If the US can help, that's great, the US should. But it should be on the terms of the US and not the ones who come to the door begging for help.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
Maybe what he really means is "we need the US financial and military backing so we can control our populations better because they are starting to resent being ruled despotically / autocratically and seek a legitimate representative government that doesn't squander their wealth or cultural heritage against their wishes".

Hmmmm

That's exactly what they mean.

And it's exactly what President Trump is not doing.

So, like the demoncrats, they're pissed off.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I spent the last 20 mins trying to think of how the world is more chaotic now that Trump is President than it has been for the last 20 years. Can someone tell me how the world is worse than it was 2, 3, 5, or 10 yrs ago?

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder
I spent the last 20 mins trying to think of how the world is more chaotic now that Trump is President than it has been for the last 20 years. Can someone tell me how the world is worse than it was 2, 3, 5, or 10 yrs ago?

Probably isn't. Just that the Europeans are pissed off because the President of the US isn't jumping when they say to, the US is not paying the lion's share of upkeep for NATO and the UN, is not kowtowing and bowing in humble and whipped submission to other world leaders, and the US is saying screw you on treaties that are not equally beneficial to all parties.

Can't have that, nosiree!
:
edit on 2018 10 20 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

Probably isn't. Just that the Europeans are pissed off because the President of the US isn't jumping when they say to, the US is not paying the lion's share of upkeep for NATO and the UN, and the US is saying screw you on treaties that are not equally beneficial to all parties.

So basically the US quit bending over for the rest of the world?

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
NATO bite the hand that feeds them one too many times. You listening UN punks!! MAGA!!

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

Probably isn't. Just that the Europeans are pissed off because the President of the US isn't jumping when they say to, the US is not paying the lion's share of upkeep for NATO and the UN, and the US is saying screw you on treaties that are not equally beneficial to all parties.

So basically the US quit bending over for the rest of the world?

You got it. I think this images sums up what has their knickers all in a wad ...

Or this one ...

No more soy boy president, no more soy boy political posture.

Can I stop now?
:

edit on 2018 10 20 by incoserv because: I added a photo.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Funny how so many in the world label us bullies and warmongers yet we start to mind our business and everyone loses their minds.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The head of state for another country, has put out that with the US withdrawing, it has caused chaos in areas that there should not be. And many here are saying it is good and here is the take on such:

The problem is that the US, for years, has been involved around the world. With 800 military bases in more than 70 countries, along with spending billions if not more in all sorts of countries around the world.

While redirecting focus on the US itself, the problem is that many of the organizations and policies were led by the US in the past. IN short we created the organization, it has become a staple and now the US is withdrawing from such leaving a vacuum in its place. And for far too long the US, has been the de facto, police force, taking the lead in many areas.

While I will agree, that leaving and withdrawing is a good thing, however, do not do it all at once, but do it gradually, letting other countries take more of the lead role, to take over the responsibilities of such. Just withdrawing is a bad idea, and could cause some problems, for the US in the future, that will eventually come and harm the country or citizens.

Leaving abruptly, will cause chaos, and ultimately cause the US in a far worse position, than if it was gradual. Kind of like burning a bridge, is it wise to burn a bridge or undo what took years to build up?

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
The head of state for another country, has put out that with the US withdrawing, it has caused chaos in areas that there should not be. And many here are saying it is good and here is the take on such:

The problem is that the US, for years, has been involved around the world. With 800 military bases in more than 70 countries, along with spending billions if not more in all sorts of countries around the world. ... While I will agree, that leaving and withdrawing is a good thing, however, do not do it all at once, but do it gradually, letting other countries take more of the lead role ...

In principle and in general, I agree with you. I mentioned that it was past time that the US stopped pushing what I called American hegemonic democracy. And, yes, sudden withdrawal from environments that the US helped to create could be problematic. HOWEVER ...

I've watched President Trump play the art of the deal on many occasions. While the US should not be the big bully on the block, neither should be the world's errand boy, not should it be picking up the tab for every thing happening.

Everybody screamed when Trump was going to "cause WWIII" by calling Pyongyang on its anual bluff, but I was asking folks in my social media circle if anyone wanted to send Kim a copy of The Art of the Deal. Kim got played.

If they want the US to kick in and help, they need to understand that it'll be on the US's terms. I have no problem with that.

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
... And many here are saying it is good ...

What folks are saying is good is that we finally have a president who is putting domestic issues first. President Trump was not elected by the people take care of Europe's problems, or the Middle-East's problems, or Asia's problems; he was elected to care for the US's problems. Those come first, the rest can wait, then can take their help as the US offers it, on the US's terms.
edit on 2018 10 20 by incoserv because: clarified

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Well maybe we could do that and just bill the other countries weekly until we shut it down completely. Invoice due upon receipt of course. No payment, no service. I am pretty sure most American taxpayers would prefer that money be used to pay for the debt or in the form of lower taxes or maybe they could fix some of the damn bridges and roads.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

That'd be epic.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

You do know this is leading to war right? That journalist that got killed, that's not just a side of potatoes on the plate. It's a bad case of indigestion coming back up, you watch and see.
edit on 20-10-2018 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen

You do know this is leading to war right? That journalist that got killed, that's not just a side of potatoes on the plate. It's a bad case of indigestion coming back up, you watch and see.

Why the fake outrage now though?? Perhaps the MSM?
]]

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I think the US pays more to NATO than all other nations combined.

I believe a lack of interest in NATO by the US would translate into a threat againsy NATO's existance.

Good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join