It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drugs drugs everywhere, and not a cop to blink...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
Lol, they approached me, and I'll chat to anyone junkie or not. Again, there were no kids around or I would have said something. If they keep it to the shady back alleys and steps then I don't mind, I pass it daily, but in my residential area no tolerance for it at all.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Aye, i will pass the time of day myself with just about anyone, as its nice to be nice. But the fact of the matter is that you simply cannot educate Pork.

A lot of those poor souls simply don't want help, nevermind criticism, or are unwilling to accept it yet.

edit on 22-10-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

well I know the issue must be affecting your community , maybe addressing the initial issue , homelessness
instead of the drugs . Is there much help for the homeless in your area ?

There is next to zero substance abuse help and the only homeless shelter will not allow people in who are under the influence hence they remain on the streets. Again, all this is called for by the community but the 'austerity' answer is always the same.
All the services which worked well in the post 97 Labour era have been slashed since the budgets were cut under the Tories.
So what do we do, vote Labour again who spend and tax, or Tory with austerity? I've watched services disappear each year and the problems rise as a result. We used to have council Street Wardens patrolling, PCSO's on the beat, all been laid off, never mind losing nearly 20% of our already under resourced police service.

Devon and Cornwall Constabulary have less than 1000 cops on duty at any given time to cover the largest geographical police area in England with 1.65 million people. Take away the bulk of them in Truro, Plymouth, and Exeter, then the ones working in their station and there are few actually available for minor crime. I can't remember the last cop I saw.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Exactly, so in shady back alleys I just accept it as a fact of life these days. I regularly take needles to dispose of in the health centre when I find them on the path, I do my bit is all.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Place i used to hail from i would regularly have to dispose of dirty syringes, spoons, and burned foil.

Safe enough to do as long as you are careful, but hardly a task one should have to perform with any kind of regularity.

Especially outside your own doorstep, in parks or at bus stops, where people frequent.

It's indicative of the society we live in I'm afraid.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   
It's sad that it's become normal to me now, and become much worse over the last decade.
At least with street wardens and PCSO's walking around it kept the problem away from tourist eyes and in the back alleys, but now the only people who can tackle the problem are the people of the community itself.
The majority of street addicts are not even local, they move here from #hole cities because it's nicer to be homeless by a beach I guess.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Depends on where the beach is i suppose.

If you are looking at it that way then its probably better to be homeless in a right good few other locations.

People move down to social circumstance, probably quite a few of the poor souls used to have homes and family of there own before it all went breasts up.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird
There are two frames of mind on this general drug issue. One is that like any disease it must be rooted out and exterminated before it takes holds. And the other is, let be and by.

In Portugal, the official position is that it is a disease, that's why if a company makes their employees take drug tests (it's allowed in some cases) only a doctor can know the results.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Of course, which is why I chat to loads in the shady back alleys I walk daily. They are people the same as me, just I won't have that behaviour in my residential street.
Cuts to services or 'austerity' is massively contributing to the problems, but so long as we have this Tory government, nothing will change, I only see it getting worse.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Aye, its called Brexit and it's not exactly going to plan.......or is it?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Austerity was going on before Brexit, I don't think we've felt any results from that yet. The lower value £ has actually meant boom time for us this summer, I've never seen so many German and French cars driving around, all spending their cash in the local economy. Everyone says the same, but sadly that doesn't increase central government funding to councils or NHS addiction services etc.
Nope these cuts would still be going on even if we'd voted remain.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Obviously, austerity was well being touted before Brexit, kind of a contributing factor to the proposal really, and to plan most lightly.

The way I'm hearing it is Cornwall and the like will lose a right good amount of EU grants/funding after Brexit, don't imagine Westminster will be picking up where the EU left off neither to be honest.

Time will tell though, but it might be nice if TPTB actual knew their arse from there elbow where a working deal is concerned.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
But according to Theresa May Austerity ended a few months back

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I'm hopeful that Westminster will replace EU grants after we no longer pay billions (net) for membership, all I can do is hope.
I can't see it happening under the Tories though, this corner of England is pretty much forgotten about, they don't care about half a million rural folk.
...unless funding is desirable to increase the value of their second homes.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

300,000 poor homeless fellows might not agree with Mrs May assessment.

Just wait till universal credit becomes the norm and that number will be even more.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
But according to Theresa May Austerity ended a few months back

I know, I thought like wtf is she smoking?! Where's this extra cash and investment supposed to be suddenly coming from?

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Its what they will fund and what the will ignore. Tourism will be supported and kept afloat but the towns and schemes just outwith the desirable areas might be left to somewhat get by with far less funding.

Essentially "They" will attempt to polish a turd.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Aye haha so much so I emailed our prime minister to ask her if austerity has ended is she going to back date my salary pay increase to 2008 and in line with inflation!

Once more we were offered a measly 1.5% pay increase

Our union declined the offer from government

If I see yin more #ing MP pay rise I think I'll go postal
edit on 22-10-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I've been seeing that already here, I live in the central touristy bit with hotels etc so my street gets potholes filled, street sweeper machine, and streetlights repaired. Go out in the solely residential 'locals' area and they are forgotten about.
Tourists are tricked really, it's all hidden poverty here.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Big thanks to everyone who has replied carefully so this thread has stayed within ATS rules, it is an interesting subject how drugs affect our different communities.
Any more US member care to share their perspective I'd be interested because I know you have a meth problem which hasn't really taken off in the UK.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join