It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hate body odour? You're More Likely To Have Rightwing Views

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: infolurker

Key point is, if you're intolerant you're right wing. Only a right winger thinks social discrimination is something to be proud of...

Ummm...SMH...your absolutely correct...you have such shining examples of tolerance on the left...

I'm not hurt. I just am amazed about the stupidity of this president and his followers. Short sighted is all that it is.

And

More like 49%. Idiocracy and maths don't mix well I guess...

And

I know logic looks scary but you should really try it sometime. It's beneficial in the long run, I promise.

See how easy it is to fall prey to ones own hubris...

Perhaps one shouldn't place themselves on a dais or pedestal when in reality they live right there amongst the herd...

In all it's odiferous splendor...

So try not to hold your nose up so high in future...it really will come round to bite you in the Heini...

YouSir

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Horse #. Most people despite their political leanings don't like dirty(smelling) people. Like the article says, it's biology.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Bingo!!! We have established a new victim group.... and those that persecute, what should we call them? Smellists? Anyone have a better name.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Horse #. Most people despite their political leanings don't like dirty(smelling) people. Like the article says, it's biology.

Now, now... the tolerant left will except them with open arms, albeit shaved and deodorized arms.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Key point is, if you're intolerant you're right wing. Only a right winger thinks social discrimination is something to be proud of...
Do you really think that intolerance can only be found on the right?
Because I really think that intolerance is a universal human trait. Now, if you’re talking about specific things that people who lean right are intolerant of, compared to things that the left leaning people are intolerant of, I think we could have a conversation.

You make some good points here. All humans are judgemental, with the exception of a handful of enlightened beings that may be on the earth at this time. Judgements are the essence of the life on this planet. Judgement is engrained into the earth experience. Anyone thinking they are nonjudgmental is deceiving themselves.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Is my pretty avatar turning you on so much that you can't stop thinking about me?

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I think people are missing the point here.

Someone was paid to do this study......
Let that sink in a minute.....

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Is my pretty avatar turning you on so much that you can't stop thinking about me?

Why the long face??

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Parishna

Why the long face??

It's Stormy with hair dye. Duh.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Ummm...no Mam...I was just trying to lighten the mood...

It was merely an offhand agreement with your position...taken from a slightly skewed personal...not political perspective...

I was only attempting to illustrate that persuasions are merely separate viewpoint perspectives of the same observation...

The very reason why eye witness testimony is a crap shoot as per truth...justice...and the American way...

In my very humble opinion...natch...

YouSir

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I really didn't consider that. But why is the guardian running the story? Paid by the same interest group?

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I guess that explains San Fran and it's potty problems then.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

OMG, you remind me!

Now we all know why Harry Reid is no longer in the Senate. He was secretly right wing. Remember? He got caught complaining about how bad the tourists would smell in the elevator.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

The government pays for all kinds of crap studies via grant. University of Texas got a grant to study whether or not Kansas actually was flatter than a pancake.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
Or "Conservatives Don't Like Stinky Non-Bathing Nasties"

Now it all makes sense!
www.theguardian.com...

People who have a greater tendency to turn their nose up at the whiff of urine, sweat and other body odours are more likely to have rightwing authorian attitudes research suggests.

The study also found having a greater disgust for body odours was linked, albeit to a small degree, with support for Donald Trump when he was a presidential candidate.

The team say the findings support the idea that a feeling of disgust might partly underpin social discrimination for others, with the link rooted in a primitive urge to avoid catching diseases from unfamiliar people or environments.

Previous studies have linked levels of disgust to political orientation, with some research suggesting those who identify as conservative have greater aversion to revolting images.

Olofsson said his team were keen to explore whether the response of individuals towards scenarios linked to scent alone revealed a similar association.

“We think that olfaction might be at the root of the pathogen detection system, so body odour disgust might be the most primitive, most fundamental way to detect pathogens,” he said.

Ummm...Bolding mine...

Yeah...not a superior...smug...hit piece there...no siree…

YouSir

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

The amygdala and somatic markers.

Daniel Fessler, Evolutionary Anthropologist @ UCLA is involved in studies of the human brain and has found that people with very active fear receptors in the amygdala, have a higher sensitivity to perceived threat, are more likely to experience disgust for people that are different to themselves and are also more likely to vote for right wing parties/candidates.

www.danielmtfessler.com...

Fessler (et al) 2017, carried out a study into fake news. Findings included that due to (visceral) alarm response, conservatives were more likely to believe fake news. Study also found that liberals were more cognitively flexible. Bad news sells and in this way, media reports, by stimulating threat bias or sensitivity, can lead people into being more conservative.

Any attempt to challenge such decision making processes amongst conservatives, will be seen as too discomforting as it may involve them having to challenge themselves and their own thought processes. Bernays

en.wikipedia.org...
relied on this phenomenon in his work to both sell products and push ideas.

According to system justification theory, people desire not only to hold favorable attitudes about themselves (ego-justification) and the groups to which they belong (group-justification), but also to hold positive attitudes about the overarching social structure in which they are entwined and find themselves obligated to (system-justification). This system-justifying motive sometimes produces the phenomenon known as out-group favoritism, an acceptance of inferiority among low-status groups and a positive image of relatively higher status groups. en.wikipedia.org...

No thought given to why the body odour is present, just visceral disgust and dismissal of the smelly one as being an inferior being. Perhaps the more evolved response may involve a little mind over matter that will allow for sufficient compassion to actually look at and see the person with BO, perhaps even discern if they are in need of assistance and reach out to help.

It is my view the polar opposite of compassion is disgust and disgust is the easy option. Allows for visceral response to guide decision making processes and is a lower vibration existence.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Sounds like this research needs to be entered in the Ig Nobel competition...Ig Nobel Winners

For my part, bad breath is my pet hate. Not too fussed about smelly people, so long as it ain't stale.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: teapot

Of course, no one thinks that in today's subdivided and tribal society that research applies to every little group, not just the group he decided to pick on.

Have you ever seen how a bunch of good little leftists behave when confronted with the mere notion that someone of another political persuasion might be coming to speak on their campus? Not that they would have to even see or hear that speech, just the notion that person is coming to speak to those who would want to hear it?

How's that for reacting with "fear and disgust"? What happened to those progressive students' more evolved response?

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I can’t believe this popped up today. I worked today with a woman who smelled so bad that it wafted within 10 feet of her like pigpen from the peanuts.

The best way I can describe it is swampass/urine soaked BO. I thought I was going to throw up.

I work with the public and this is unacceptable imo. I have to work with her tommorrow and I’m dreading it.

She is due to retire next year, and keeps saying I can only work 19 hours a week after that. My thoughts are save the planet and keep your smelly butt at home. Quite frankly, she’s going to make us lose business.

This is not just a one time thing either; one of my coworkers is a friend of mine, and we also worked together prior to this job. I text her today and asked her if she was aware of this, and she laughed and said everybody knows.

I’m not being judgemental, it is unfair to submit fellow workers and the public to such putrid smells. I should add, she is perfectly capable of washing her clothes, taking a shower, but just doesn’t. Yuck.

No idea her political affiliation, unless swampass is a new party 😫

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I guess that explains San Fran and it's potty problems then.

Cripes. Find a talking point you guys like and beat it to death smearing all things not... you. It's tiring.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join