It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decorated Silver Star Veteran, POW Sentenced to 7 Years for a Gun He Bought 40 Years Ago

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   
What a crock ! One law does not fit all and never has but for the appearances of fairness.

The M-14 was a great weapon which IMO was more accurate and way better than the mini 14. His mistake was having one he bought legally 40 years ago and having it shown in a gun display case for all to see.. In 40 years he had never taken the weapon out of the case and went on a rampage of killing.

As a vet I understand the attachment one can feel for a weapon that has saved your life..Everyday he saw the M-14 in the display case I wonder if he remembered being a POW and his service to the country of his birth..?

So his wife dies and within two weeks the ATF raids his home; it was all down hill from there.. I hate stories like this.. He is 70 years of age, took care of his dying wife and is/was a pillar of his community yet was sentenced to 87 months in jail.. No problem mandatory jail for this guy (sarc)..

Plano, TX — Alfred Pick served his country honorably. After going on over 100 combat missions in Vietnam, Pick was given the military’s third highest honor, the Silver Star. He was also captured and did time as a POW. Now, after escaping a cage in Vietnam 40 years ago, the country he laid down his life for is throwing him back in a cage—over a decades-old gun.

At a gun show 40 years ago, Pick bought the rare M-14 rifle, similar to the one he used in Vietnam while he served in the Army. He put this rifle in a case, along with 14 other extremely rare guns and proudly displayed them in his Texas home for four decades.

Instead of simply telling Pick that his rifle was “illegal” and asking him to modify or remove the firing pin to make it inoperable, masked agents of the State—armed with automatic rifles—ransacked the recent widower’s home, kidnapped, and caged him.

Because the raid and arrest came just two weeks after his wife died of cancer, agents also found her cannabis that she used as medicine. This was tacked on as another charge.

www.activistpost.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I'm all about law and order, but this is bull#.

We treat our vets like #, this man is worth more than the whole of Congress combined.

Just take the gun away, apologize for it and thank him for his service and move on.

Jackasses.
edit on 19-10-2018 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Disgusting.

link   

I feel like there is more to the story.

An m-14 isn't inherently illegal.

Unless the barrel was too short (carbine) I don't see how it could be against the law. (this would still usually be grandfathered if bought legally).

My guess is it was tied to the marijuana. Usually if a gun is found with drugs it's treated completely different.

I'm not agreeing with that, Texas to my knowledge isn't a medicinal state, and they're very strict on drugs.

I'm curious how a jury in Texas would allow this though.

Very odd.
edit on 19-10-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

link   

Somethings pretty fishy with that.

When federal agents raided this American Hero’s home, they were looking for and seized the rare M-14 rifle that pick bought in the early ’80s at a Fort Worth gun show.

Huh?

I call BS. Fake news.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

couldn't have said it better

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
If the timeline is right, it's a preban, and he probably didnt have the right form or stamp for it. Maybe whomever sold it to him was involved in an illegal transaction that didnt have the necessary stamp.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I don't even think they should have confiscated the gun tbh. Also, who the hell grasses up a seventy year old who just lost his wife? No pun intended. Seriously.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I am going to wager (without looking deeper than the surface) this is a prosecuting attorney that is planning on entering politics.

He will probably paint it in some war on drugs mantra and how zero tolerance is the only way to go... god I hate zero tolerance laws.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I feel like there is more to the story.

An m-14 isn't inherently illegal.

Unless the barrel was too short (carbine) I don't see how it could be against the law.

My guess is it was tied to the marijuana. Usually if a gun is found with drugs it's treated completely different.

I'm not agreeing with that, Texas to my knowledge isn't a medicinal state, and they're very strict on drugs.

I'm curious how a jury in Texas would allow this though.

Very odd.

I disagree as the M-14 I carried could go full auto..youtu.be...

When Colorado passed their marijuana laws Texas troopers would stop just about every Colorado license plated car that entered the state and do a pot search. Hey it is the law in Texas so screw Colorado !

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I'm intrigued as to who fed the information to the authorities. No doubt a greedy family member after more inheritance. Some people have no shame.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: Irishhaf

I'm intrigued as to who fed the information to the authorities. No doubt a greedy family member after more inheritance. Some people have no shame.

He lived in a fly-in community.. Those communities have people who work together on their aircraft and welcome visitors into their homes.. It could have been anyone with a grudge (he was the president of the home owners association).

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Well whoever it was, they're a piece of sh1t. Talk about kicking a man when he's down...

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
If the timeline is right, it's a preban, and he probably didnt have the right form or stamp for it. Maybe whomever sold it to him was involved in an illegal transaction that didnt have the necessary stamp.

That still doesn't explain them going after a senior citizen for essentially a technicality.

Unless the sear pin was altered, or the serial was scratched off, I have a hard time believing they could pin an old vet with intent and motive to commit a crime of knowingly possessing an illegal firearm.

Even the weed if argued correctly could get him a slap on the wrist.

We don't have everything here. Logic isn't checking this one out.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   

It was automatic, good call.

That and the weed isn't going to bode well in court.

As silly as that is considering the context.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   

It was automatic, good call.

That and the weed isn't going to bode well in court.

As silly as that is considering the context.

The stupid idiot should have registered as an illegal immigrant. Then he would have been caught and released. The old fool.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

That still doesn't explain them going after a senior citizen for essentially a technicality.

Unless the sear pin was altered, or the serial was scratched off, I have a hard time believing they could pin an old vet with intent and motive to commit a crime of knowingly possessing an illegal firearm.

Even the weed if argued correctly could get him a slap on the wrist.

We don't have everything here. Logic isn't checking this one out.

All it takes is some young buck atf fool that thinks hes got a career stat on his hands.

I'll entertain any scenario, but 70 year old full auto gun runners seem a bit more obscure than some g man jackass being overzealous and looking to impress some mid level mindless government drone.

More facts would certainly help frame this story.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   
It could have been the 2 grams of Cocaine they allegedly found.
Or it could have been one of his other weapons, the one with the obliterated serial number.
Or that he threatened to kneecap, then kill hospital workers who were taking care of his wife before she passed.
or that he reportedly stole the M-14 while he was in the military, he didn't buy it in the 80's (he confessed to this, according to prosecutors.)

From this report on Dallasnews.com
www.dallasnews.com...

His daughter turned him in btw
edit on 19-10-2018 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   

He had the evil weed and an unregistered automatic rifle. Not that i care what the man had, but i know that marijuana and any firearm will get you federal time. Much worse if you have an unregistered automatic rifle.

He should have just registered it. I probably would have given him some leniency if he was an alright fella, but nobody has nominated me for president yet. Maybe trump will pardon him.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This is very strange. I didn't know the guy, buy 10 years ago worked for someone who had a house and plane in that Neighborhood. It was neat to fly in and out of and you're next to basically the suburbs and traffic going on the street.

This guy was still the owner at that time.

Someone tipped off authorities about this guy having a fully auto rifle. Someone he knew that clearly didn't like him. I suspect foul play in all areas. He didn't do anything in any reports I can find. It was all about the weapon. They used some previous things he did or encounters he had to justify the sentence. This was some sort of rail road operation on the guy.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join