It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumbness

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

If you are replacing, why not replace the fastener?

You and I come from different worlds

but I still respect you and consider you a friend

Sir, It's rare I consider someone someone an enemy. Certainly no one on this website.
I am a builder by trade.
Through the frustrations of various fasteners, I have learned to respect the why behind them.
Except the robertson head screw. That one is just a crap money trap.

ETA:
Furthermore I enjoy your posts, and my disagreement in this thread is only my own perspective. And maybe a bit of ribbing on some posters.
edit on 19-10-2018 by randomtangentsrme because: I want pizza. Anyone else want pizza?

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   

edit on 19-10-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Drilling out a bracket to accept a different screw is less than a minute per hole.
As much as I want to support you, I'm not seeing anything to make me understand your basic understanding of plates and fasteners.

PM me you issue. I can solve it for you.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Yes, most annoying fastener ever. The screwdriver always slides off once you actually get in the slot and turn.

The trick to flatheads is to keep them sharp.
If you take a file and re-sharpen the edges to keep sharp 90's, they work like new again.
They taught us that in carpentry class, it only takes like 5 min to refresh.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Leave it to the Canadian guy.
Do you all have Robertson screws in the states? Because they are the best!
You can jam it onto your screwdriver/screw gun and drive it home with one hand. No hand stabbing required.
If you have a magnetic bit and a little practice you can literally just stick the tip in your tool belt, get a screw and slam it in! One handed! It really makes a huge difference when trying to meet a deadline.

Plus, In a pinch you can use a Philips or Flathead to extract it. The things are hecking mint!

edit on 20-10-2018 by HiMyNameIsCal because: oops

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 02:19 AM
link   

I know, a multi screw driver would be my choice. A driver that fits every kind of screw, something that would frighten the crap out of a caveman. lol

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Yeah I'm with you on this one but when I screw up something (pun intended) I usually just use what screws I have laying around. When it's time to take screws out I usually end up using every type of bit I have..

A couple of months ago I started on a project and apparently I only had those Robertson screws laying around...can you imagine the frustration when I couldn't find the only Robertson screw bit I have....

Peace

top topics

<< 1   >>

join