It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumbness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   
If it's too small it just falls out of the crease! If it's too big it reams out the slot making it unusable! If you're lucky to keep it in at all it's just miserable trying to screw!

I'm talking about frickin' flathead screwdrivers, the dumbest tool ever invented!

Perhaps the tool is not to blame, but the dumb shaped screw that makes it easy to slip right out and stab your hand with. #Winning

Like wasn't this ever tested?! Why didn't manufacturers and makers spend 2 more minutes to come up with the phillips head or some other locking bit. Flatheads should have never left the drawing board!

There is no excuse why these are still used. They belong in a museum!

Humanity will never progress if we continue to use this caveman stuff.

edit on 19-10-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
invent something better or stop complaining and learn to use the tool better.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AthlonSavage
invent something better

Something better was already invented

edit on 19-10-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Nope.
Works great as a tool, and a weapon.
Have them all over my house.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
If it's too small it just falls out of the crease! If it's too big it reams out the pocket making it unusable! If you're lucky to keep it in at all it's just miserable trying to screw!

I'm talking about frickin' flathead screwdrivers, the dumbest tool ever invented!

Perhaps the tool is not to blame, but the dumb shaped screw that makes it easy to slip right out and stab your hand with. #Winning

Like wasn't this ever tested?! Why didn't manufacturers and makers spend 2 more minutes to come up with the phillips head or some other locking bit. Flatheads should have never left the drawing board!

Answer: Hammer

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

Works great as a tool

If you need to pry open that paint can it's a charm!

For screwing those screws it's an abysmal failure.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I have stripped enough phillips head screws to know they are not the epitome of technological development. They've got their own issues. Perhaps a torx head is better. I reserve judgment. The key to the flat head is to use the correct size. Too many people grab any old flat head they have lying around, screw it up (pun intended) and then blame the screwdriver. A good mechanic or carpenter never blames his tools. He uses the right ones for the right jobs. Meditate on that for a bit.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Flathead screws were just fine when we had plain screwdrivers. You just needed to know how to use them.

Now when powered screwdrivers hit the market, flathead screws just did not work and so, the Phillips head and others were invented to work with the new power tools.

It is just the normal progression of tooling.

P

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Yep, they seem to get used far past their useful life. In Junior High metal shop, that was the first thing we made. A simple flat head screwdriver. Torx and Allen seem to be better suited. I suppose it also comes down to aesthetics in some cases.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Maybe replace with Torx? Hex? Heck, even a Philips head? Better mouse traps are available.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I have stripped enough phillips head screws to know they are not the epitome of technological development.

im with you

many times i have had to take the die grinder to the phillips head to make it a flat.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I think slotted screwdriver‘s have been around since the 18th century. Phillips heads were invented in the 30s. I agree with you slotted screwdriver should be outlawed. But now with advancements Phillips aren’t far behind.

Roberts head screw’s should be the only thing allowed .

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I love the way you can put a sheetrock screw on a bit in the cordless and shove that rascal home. We don't need no stinking pilot holes.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

You do if you don't want to have to replace that piece of 1x you just split. . .

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
If it's too small it just falls out of the crease! If it's too big it reams out the slot making it unusable! If you're lucky to keep it in at all it's just miserable trying to screw!

There is better technology out there these days.

But let me ask you, are you using the tool correctly?
Have you pre-drilled your pilot hole?
Do you have the correct size of driver?

A flat head screw is an easy fastener to use, when used correctly.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

I still say when all attempts fail? HAMMER the damn screw in! *

*I am speaking with jest....not stupidity!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

I'm talking about replacing old fuggin' wall plates

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   

If you are replacing, why not replace the fastener?

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Perhaps a torx head is better.

no! i'd much rather face a messed up phillips head than a rounded torx screw.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

If you are replacing, why not replace the fastener?

You and I come from different worlds

but I still respect you and consider you a friend

top topics

<<   2 >>

join