It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter publishes dump of accounts tied to Russian, Iranian influence campaigns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Twitter

ArsTechnic a

Twitter has released a data store of posts from 3,841 accounts that have been identified as being connected to the Internet Research Agency (IRA), the Russian "troll factory" that used Twitter and Facebook to conduct an "influence campaign" aimed at causing political turmoil during the 2016 US presidential election as well as undermining the political process in other countries, including Germany and Ukraine. The company has also released another set of data connected to 770 accounts believed to be connected to an Iranian influence campaign.

Totaling over 360 gigabytes—including more than 10 million tweets and associated metadata and over 2 million images, animated GIFs, videos, and Periscope streams—the data store provides a picture of how state-sponsored agencies have used the Twitter platform. Some of the content dates as far back as 2009.

Interesting. It seems many people believe that conservative viewpoints are being silenced across social media, but are actual conservatives being silenced, or is what we see these platforms taking steps to reduce the impact a foreign power can have within the USA?

Here are a couple of example's from this data dump (direct source to data will be below):

Why go through the trouble of creating fake accounts to post things like this? What's the ultimate goal? To you, the ATS reader, when you see images like those above, do they trigger an emotional response? Do you feel vindicated?

I feel there's a concentrated effort to push the view that the `other side` is full of extremist.

DataSet Read.me

Fake accounts (warning, direct download linlk)

Fake account tweets (warning, direct download link)

Fake media (dd link)

For those that are interested or care to attempt to verify this:

Open Source Database Engine

How to use

Tool for nubs

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

When i see people posting the same political crap all the time, I feel pity for them. And their children, who have to be missing out on good famly time while their crazed parents rail about US politics.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Anytime I see an image such as the ones you posted I immediately know that is propaganda. Even if the poster is purposely spreading it or just their honest beliefs. Doesn’t bother me but often I find them funny.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

When i see people posting the same political crap all the time, I feel pity for them. And their children, who have to be missing out on good famly time while their crazed parents rail about US politics.

I see, politics are an important topic, and with the internet being what it is, I'm glad organizations that facilitate the communication between individuals like twitter does is stepping up to prevent their platform from being used to drive a narrative.

As far as family time, I'm not really seeing the relevance as I'd assume the people contained in this data dump are actually "at work".

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I am making a comment about online discussion in general, while thinking about all the times I've seen kids beg for parental attention while parents stare at their phones.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Anytime I see an image such as the ones you posted I immediately know that is propaganda. Even if the poster is purposely spreading it or just their honest beliefs. Doesn’t bother me but often I find them funny.

But not everyone is unable to spot propaganda unfortunately, which is why campaigns like these can be real problem:

People die in India because of BS on the internet

I think this datasource is great, it can be parsed and we can see if it's actually frequent enough to warrant worry.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

But not everyone is unable to spot propaganda unfortunately, which is why campaigns like these can be real problem:

People die in India because of BS on the internet

I think this datasource is great, it can be parsed and we can see if it's actually frequent enough to warrant worry.

Sadly we here in the US may not be far behind. The division that has been created is at the boiling point. At least on the interwebs it seems. I have many neighbors that have different political views than I but we all get along just fine. Hell we get drunk and do bellyflops in my pool just for funnies! I’ll even take the cans to the curb for them when it’s time. So maybe it’s not as bad as the interwebs make it seem. But we should do our part in informing others of what is and is not propaganda.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I haven't looked at the database cause I'm on my phone, but if that list contains only conservative tweets/viewpoints then that's the problem people have and why conservatives feel they are being censored.

I would ask one question to those who think/feel conservatives aren't being censored. Would these exact same steps, with any social media platform, be taken if Hillary won? I personally don't think anything like this would be an issue and this database would not exist if she did win. That's why I think people believe there's one sided censorship.

If this list shows both liberal and conservative censorship then good on them for weeding them out. If not, then shouldn't we be asking, why not?

top topics

join